Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: schubert sonata D 664  (Read 3821 times)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
schubert sonata D 664
on: August 16, 2007, 01:05:55 PM
i'm in the process of learning this - and duelling sort of.  although, i plan to post the final version in only a few days.  here's my trash version first.  it's only the first couple of pages.  i forgot the two eights (and only played a quarter) in measure 38 - lh - but anyways - i just like playing schubert sometimes.  today i feel happy - so i just did it.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: schubert sonata D 664
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:28:46 PM
here's the trash ending.  this is my first take. ok.  i messed up towards the end - but that was because i sightread the last page.  i'm not trying to brag or anything.  i was actually in the emergency room yesterday with my daughter who got sick from a pool swim.  so - spend three hours there - another hour at somewhere's else- and the previous few days shopping with the six year old for her birthday party.  (we always do homemade versions - as they seem to be less expensive and she hasn't noticed yet).  so - i have these moments in the morning and evening to practice.

Offline schubertiad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 05:48:10 PM
Very impressive sightreading, I wish it came that easily to me. I'm not sure why you bothered to post it though, particularly when you plan to post a 'proper' version in a few days. I have noticed a number of people posting stuff on here seemingly for no reason. The problem is that no comment or criticism is really warranted, since the natural response is, of course, "I've only just started learning it" or "I was just sightreading". Perhaps a little less quantity and more quality would be nice in the future?
“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.” Leonard Bernstein

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 05:49:45 PM
i'm not sure how much time i want to spend on it.  thus - a second version tommorrow.  if it's not perfect - i'm ditching it and moving on to the chopin etude opus 25 #5.  what was the other choice?

Offline schubertiad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 05:55:10 PM
Isn't the whole idea of a duel to force yourself to spend time on a piece, getting it to performance standard for all to hear, instead of dropping it when it's only halfway there. Otherwise what's the point? Everyone knows that with a little bit of practice we can all get things sounding half decent. The real question is, what happens when we put all our energy into something...
“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.” Leonard Bernstein

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:57:28 PM
spending six months on schubert would kill me.  besides, this piece isn't difficult, really.  it just has some large spans which i am curious if you liked my idea of using the lh for the middle C (rh chords).  or do you have large hands?

i read music like novels.  once i know the story - it's dull to tell it too many times.  i shall surprise you tommorrow with my interpretation better at the end.  i think it was fairly ok the first two pages.

gimme what you got.  i mean - crit.  is it too slow?  too fast?  boring.  notes not held.  some not played.  there might be a few in there.  but, i try to be as faithful to the score as possible.

Offline schubertiad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 06:09:09 PM
I keep the chord in the right hand and roll it.
You're right that it's not too difficult, but your 'trash' recording was filled with mistakes, so you obviously can't play it yet. It seems strange to say that six months on it would kill you. Who says you should spend half a year on it? I was only suggesting that you spend enough time on it to be able to play it perfectly. And since it's fairly easy, that shouldn't take too long.
Why not make this the first piece that you post which runs from start to finish without fistfulls of wrong notes and long pauses? It is technically well within your grasp (you can virtually sight read it)  so the only thing stopping you from perfecting it is impatience.

Offline schubertiad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 06:26:17 PM
You edited your last post, making mine sound a bit like a rant. Sorry about that. My only crit is that you don't know the piece, and are sightreading it. I agree that you shouldn't do a piece to death, but masterpieces like Schubert sonatas surely deserve a little more than one rough read through...

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 07:17:33 PM

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 07:36:32 PM
let's hear yours, jake - before we make any judgements.  i knew you'd be here quacking.  you're like the aflack duck.  at least schubertiad is dueling with me. 

ok.  schubertiad.  i will give you until september 1st.  after that - you are nothing but an aflack duck, too.

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 07:40:32 PM
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 02:42:47 AM
LOL.... I agree this piece deserves to be well played, and i´m shure pianistimo can do it. I´m looking forward for a finished version.  Anyway, it´s very nice for sightreading.  :)

Offline gerry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 10:23:39 AM
i'm in the process of learning this - and duelling sort of.  although, i plan to post the final version in only a few days.  here's my trash version first.  it's only the first couple of pages.  i forgot the two eights (and only played a quarter) in measure 38 - lh - but anyways - i just like playing schubert sometimes.  today i feel happy - so i just did it.

This posting prompted me to pull out the music and revisit this charming sonata. It's a little dicey to critique a sight-read effort. I'm sure some of the things I picked up on you would evenutally correct yourself in the course of perfecting this piece. The first thing that struck me as I started listening was that, in general, I felt your left hand was a little heavy and getting in the way of the lyrical nautre of the opening theme to the point of fighting with the melody. You'll notice in several measures that the left-hand figures begin with half notes. I think Schuber meant for thos notes to be emphasized those and held while just filling in the rest of the chord pattern with less emphasis--DA de de de, DA de de de and so on instead of da da da da, da da da da. In the rest of the measure where Schubert didn't write half notes, I would continue to think of this pattern while playing. I'm sure this is all very elemental for you as in other sections of this movement you display the ability to play quite lyrically. You should stick with it.
BTW I think the second movement of this work is one of the most sublime pieces in the literature.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 12:17:32 PM
spending six months on schubert would kill me.  besides, this piece isn't difficult, really.  it just has some large spans which i am curious if you liked my idea of using the lh for the middle C (rh chords).  or do you have large hands?

haha if it isnt difficult...why dont you just finish it off it one sit?
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 04:59:01 PM
i plan to do that in two days.  i don't have my music in any sort of folder.  it's just 'blowing in the wind,' shall we say.  i put two pages up at a time so it won't blow over. 

three months to memorize the thing - but - i don't really want to do it that way.  just play it over and over and whenever it's in my fingers, ok.

have you heard cortot's 'edition de travail' or something like that - of some song he hated?  i don't hate this song - but i can't play it more than a few times and it seems like it tastes like old bubble gum.

Offline schubertiad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 10:59:39 AM
ok.  schubertiad.  i will give you until september 1st.  after that - you are nothing but an aflack duck, too.
Are you insane?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert