Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Grieg, "At thy Feet", Op. 68, No. 3 (from the Lyric Pieces)  (Read 11249 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Edvard Grieg (1843-1907), a Norwegian and composer of the romantic style, is very poorly represented in this forum, other than the piano concerto.  It's true that: 1) He was not a master of large forms, with the notable exception of the Piano Concerto in Am, which continues to enjoy popularity with audiences.  But his Piano Sonata was, as he himself thought, dull, and the Ballade never captured the imagination of audiences.  2) His Lyric Pieces are mostly at intermediate level.  Yes, in fact, many teachers use some as "teaching pieces", as Grieg often added a particular technical challenge to a piece.  The Notturno Op. 54, No. 4 comes immediately to mind, as it is often a pupil's first exposure to polyrhythms. 

However, Grieg more than excelled at composing a nearly endless array of character pieces--enough of them to fill four volumes.  He was the master of the miniature.  The Lyric Pieces are of wide variety and display the entire range of human moods.  Some are nationalistic but many are universal. 

I'm posting this one piece from the Lyric Pieces (recorded today) to illustrate the kind of gems therein.  Perhaps other members will add more.  I'm glad to at least get Grieg's name up on the boards here!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Grieg, "At thy Feet", Op. 68, No. 3 (from the Lyric Pieces)
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 11:33:03 PM
that's very beautiful! 

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 12:57:08 AM
Yes, isn't it though?  Makes you wonder how pianists don't seem to notice how great some of Grieg's short works really are.  When Emil Gilels was performing, he recorded quite a number of the Lyric Pieces, so must surely have appreciated them to make that effort.  I must honestly admit that I should have studied more Grieg pieces than I have.  The reason I learned the particular one posted here was that, as I struggled with Bortkiewicz's "Eros" (I still am), I needed as a counter-balance a briefer, beautiful, and relaxing piece that I could also add to my repertoire.  This is the one I selected, and am glad I did!   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline rallestar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:18:55 AM
Nice playing. Griegs lyric pieces are really beautiful - I especially like the middle section of the album leaf in F major. The 2nd movement of Ravels sonatine bears a resemblance to it, too.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 04:39:32 PM
Hi rallestar,

Thanks for listening to this piece!  Yes, I believe that Grieg, although stereotyped as a miniaturist, is still an under-rated and under-appreciated composer.  He wrote wonderful pieces that are accessible to most pianists.

Offline rallestar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 05:03:25 PM
Very much. It's his anniversary year!

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 05:09:58 PM
So right you are!  It hadn't dawned on me.  One more good reason then for posting one of his pieces here.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert