Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: "Voice Within" -- Improv  (Read 3497 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
"Voice Within" -- Improv
on: September 18, 2007, 08:27:35 PM
Well, here is another in this newer "style"  :P... I have mixed feelings about posting this, but something in my can't resist  :-[.

Thanks for listening.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: "Voice Within" -- Improv
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 09:21:46 PM
Well, here is another in this newer "style"  :P... I have mixed feelings about posting this, but something in my can't resist  :-[.

Something in me can't resist to comment :P Immediately :). This sort of music makes me addicted, in a positive sense. I feel that there is so much that you express with it I have no words for. I just know that it goes *very deep* into my soul and opens my mind to regions of the world that I didn't know of yet. Or...I might have forgotten these regions and your music reminds me of them. Hey do you really know what a *wonderful* artist you are? :)

Offline leonidas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 09:38:37 PM
Get a room guys.. :P
Ist thou hairy?  Nevermore - quoth the shaven-haven.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 09:42:09 PM

Offline leonidas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 09:45:12 PM
haha I don't know who started it, but it's funny to observe how you two talk, similar ways.

Ist thou hairy?  Nevermore - quoth the shaven-haven.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 10:50:55 PM
haha I don't know who started it, but it's funny to observe how you two talk, similar ways.

Well we've got a room already 8). The audition room ;D. Why didn't you even listen?  :P

Offline liszt-essence

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 01:15:36 AM
You sing beautifully

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 11:13:10 PM
Hi m1469,

This is a wonderful improvisation having an exotic flavor to it, and I love your singing!    The form of this piece seems to be not a song for voice with piano accompaniment, but rather a piano improvisation with a beautiful, soaring voice obbligato part.  For example, if we think of Falla's "Nights in the Gardens of Spain", the piece is definately not a piano concerto at all (despite what some listeners might think); rather it is an orchestral tone poem with a continuous piano obbligato.  Am I interpretting your intention correctly?  I'm always curious about structure.

Good work!! 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 03:40:47 PM
Thanks All, for listening and for your comments !

Hi m1469,

This is a wonderful improvisation having an exotic flavor to it, and I love your singing!    The form of this piece seems to be not a song for voice with piano accompaniment, but rather a piano improvisation with a beautiful, soaring voice obbligato part.  For example, if we think of Falla's "Nights in the Gardens of Spain", the piece is definately not a piano concerto at all (despite what some listeners might think); rather it is an orchestral tone poem with a continuous piano obbligato.  Am I interpretting your intention correctly?  I'm always curious about structure.

Good work!! 

Hi Rachfan.  I was fortunate enough to get the chance to read your initial and entire post before you modified it :).  Thank you for listening and for posting in.  Yes, I think that you are interpretting my intentions correctly.  I am currently pondering the balance between the voice and piano parts, not just in this improv (though, as a result of this improv), but in general.  As I mentioned in another post, this is a new experience for me to be including vocal improv with my pianistic improv.  I think I will do more experimenting in the future, and perhaps roles will change a bit ... I am not sure. 

But, my intentions at the time were definitely more what you have described and the voice is supposed to be more of a complimentary color to the piano.  In this case, the voice is more of the accompaniment ... or something more along those lines than thinking of the voice as being a solo with piano accompaniment.

Thanks !
m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 09:40:19 PM
Hi m1469,

Ha-ha, yeah that's funny that you caught my original version of the post.   :-[   Well, I looked at it and said, "Arrrggg...  too long and too much about my experiences, and not enough about m1469's composition."  So out came the eraser.  I'm an absolutely incurable and ruthless editor.

I was pretty sure I'd figured out your structural intent, so was pleased when you confirmed it.  It's an uncommon approach to have the voice as accompaniment, but its occurrance makes it all that much more effective.  I think you're extremely creative.

This is a definitely a cool piece! 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert