Piano Forum

Topic: Liszt - La Leggierezza  (Read 12610 times)

Offline electrafingers

• PS Silver Member
Liszt - La Leggierezza
on: November 09, 2007, 04:43:07 PM
Here is a recently made recording of the etude "La Leggierezza" by Liszt.
Comments are welcome.

Ishay
"The laws of morality are also those of art" - Robert Schumann

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt - La Leggierezza
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:00:18 PM
Hi Ishay,

I really enjoyed listening to your rendition of this wonderful concert etude of Liszt.  It's not played as much as it ought to be.  It has a beautifully haunting lyricism, doesn't it?  And you play it with much authority.  I especially like the clean and seamless articulation, your expertise with the counterpoint, wide dynamic range, very judicious and effective pedaling, the highlighting of certain rich harmonies in the left hand, the many subtle nuances, and your very warm expressiveness throughout this mournful piece.  It's not always easy to be so expressive during such rapid passage work.  It's interesting how Liszt ends the piece with the inverted major sixths as rays of sunshine.  This is an outstanding performance displaying superb musicality and musicianship.  You've done the composer a great service.  Bravo!!!

You inspire me to play this work myself, but I don't believe I have the hands, agility or technique required to execute this piece convincingly.  I'm content to listen to you play it.   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 10:35:13 PM
Hi Ishay,

great work! I really enjoyed it. How did you record it? -> good quality

have you ever tried playing the chromatic melody (1:58 into the recording) a little lighter / less legato / less pedal (?) (as in 1:45 1:46 where the chromatic notes are marvelous)

also 2:13 is great

the c at 2:24 is already cantato but maybe you could give it even a little bit more what do you think?

same with f at 4:02  should the question mark be bigger / longer? -> then maybe the next chord might sound more definitive (as in "this is the answer to the question")

I especially like the end of the run at 4:10

would it be better to wait a little longer at 4:28? please tell me what you think

GREAT voicing in the first of the last f chords!

Once again i loved your music making (especially agogics / chromatics in high range)

these are only suggestions not "i know it better" comments

keep on posting!

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 12:08:16 PM
Woooooo nice work! Sounds almost like a professional recording, aside from the smudge in the middle somewhere...

Offline electrafingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 08:03:40 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys!

great work! I really enjoyed it. How did you record it? -> good quality

Thanks, this is a professional studio recording, though unedited and the sound unchanged.

have you ever tried playing the chromatic melody (1:58 into the recording) a little lighter / less legato / less pedal (?) (as in 1:45 1:46 where the chromatic notes are marvelous)

It depends which parts you mean exactly. It's one of the major difficulties in this piece to find the right balance between tempo, articulation and pedal.

the c at 2:24 is already cantato but maybe you could give it even a little bit more what do you think?

I'm not sure. It's a matter of personal taste.

same with f at 4:02 should the question mark be bigger / longer? -> then maybe the next chord might sound more definitive (as in "this is the answer to the question")

Actually I think this point shouldn't be made a very big deal. Although the f is a very expressive moment, I find the "question" to be quite shy and the "answer" unsatisfying, and that's why the runs continue, and get to the same unsatisfying solution again. The real solution comes only at the very last cords of this piece.

would it be better to wait a little longer at 4:28? please tell me what you think

I was thinking quite a lot about this. Finding the right timing isn't simple - I think the energy of the cord musn't be lost (and continue into the run that comes right after), but the cord must be heavy enough and have enough time resonate. Of course it's also a matter of personal preference.

Thank you for the detailed interesting comments!

Ishay

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 08:39:40 PM
Bravo electrafingers,!  :o

This is a wonderful recording.  You play with such clarity, evenness and expression.

I am very impressed.

The piano sounds very good too.

Is it a B or a D?

I would be very pleased to hear other pieces from this recording session (if there are any)

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:47:53 PM
This is something I'd listen to again and again, use as a reference in how to play Liszt well, and be inspired to try to achieve the same level of excellence myself. Bravo!!

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:56:58 PM
Breathtaking! You play amazing, great phrasing, superb technic and a just enough flamboyance for my taste!

Offline classical pianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 09:17:13 PM
Fabulous!! this is really good.

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:55:29 PM

It depends which parts you mean exactly. It's one of the major difficulties in this piece to find the right balance between tempo, articulation and pedal.

Actually I think this point shouldn't be made a very big deal. Although the f is a very expressive moment, I find the "question" to be quite shy and the "answer" unsatisfying, and that's why the runs continue, and get to the same unsatisfying solution again. The real solution comes only at the very last cords of this piece.

I was thinking quite a lot about this. Finding the right timing isn't simple - I think the energy of the cord musn't be lost (and continue into the run that comes right after), but the cord must be heavy enough and have enough time resonate. Of course it's also a matter of personal preference.

Thank you for the detailed interesting comments!

Ishay

Ishay , thank YOU for the interesting comments. You made me aware of a lot of things and i will from now on listen a lot more accurate to the piece. It feels as if you made me discover it!
I'll discuss it with my niece who played it on an exam of hers once.

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 08:45:28 PM
Really quite a wonderful performance.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline electrafingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 09:14:09 AM
Thank you all!
hakki, it's a Steinway D - recorded professionally, so I'm glad the sound came out nicely :)

Ishay

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 04:26:16 PM
Thank you all!
hakki, it's a Steinway D - recorded professionally, so I'm glad the sound came out nicely :)

Ishay

Thanks for the reply electrafingers.

One more question. Is it a Newyork or a Hamburg Steinway?

regards,

Offline electrafingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 09:06:53 PM
I'ts a one year old Hamburg Steinway.

Ishay
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert