Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Fantasie Impromptu  (Read 10960 times)

Offline carazymcmahon

• PS Silver Member
Fantasie Impromptu
on: November 18, 2007, 08:01:14 AM
I just recently found out that fantasie impromptu is wayyy overplayed.
anyways
I played in a recital this morning and finally got a recording of myself playing. I've never been too nervous while playing until today, I started thinking and concentrating on notes rather than just playing and my hands felt cold (it was warm in the room). I really felt like I played the fast section not too great (compared to usual) but I keep getting told I did fine.
I'd like to know what everybody thinks of my performance, especially the middle section.
the first 10 seconds are, uh, terrible, but it gets better! :P 

critique away, thanks.

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fantasie Impromptu
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 03:15:33 PM
In a way, you indeed did very fine!
But if we are talking 'great interpretation', the outer sections are too fast, and the middle one too disrupted, imo.
It's very tempting to play this as fast as one can, as everyone knows it's very difficult. Truly great performances of this piece are rare, it's rather the other end of the scale that's overrepresented.
If you were to take off 25% of the speed in the outer section and work at achieving a meticoulous phrasing instead, like the indicated crescendo in the descending pattern in the very beginning (that's difficult!), you'd already be head and shoulders above most of your competitors.
And in the middle section you could perhaps try a clearer four-bar phrasing? As of now, it seems to slightly halt at each first beat of the bar.

Impressive finger-work, and a touch of poetry in the middle!

Offline gerry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 06:23:54 PM
You display the potential to play this piece very well someday. However, I question the attitude (and the teacher) that allows you to put this effort onto this forum for criticism (and into a recital) in such an unpolished state. All your good qualities (and you seem to have many) are masked and overshadowed by misreadings and your apparent value of speed above accuracy.

The B section is beautiful (and according to some, 'sappy' enough) to survive without so much rubato, just play it more evenly and let it speak for itself - particularly jarring is your acceleration of the left-hand figure ending the previous phrase in anticipation of the entrance of the next phrase at a more rapid pace (I cite meas. 58-59 and similar) - you should finish one phrase before beginning the next--a criticism that goes beyond just this piece. In otherwords, this is where the singer takes a breath.

I don't want to discourage anyone from posting sincere efforts, but in this case I find it difficult to be kinder to you. You are one of those maddening pianists who really seems able to get inside a piece and discover it's soul, but in your attempt to translate that into a performance, you compromise so much that it doesn't come across - I'm left frustrated at how much better I feel you can do. My advice is to return to the drawing board so to speak - slow down and work for accuracy before speed and correct the misreadings. You might also try, just for the hell of it, playing the Largo section even-tempo, observing only the dynamics, then adding bits of rubato at a later time. You are putting the cart before the horse in so many ways with this piece - you play with great soul but you need to add that back in later to a more accurate reading.

I apologize if the remarks above seem harsh - I really don't know your age or musical goals so they are offered in the spirit of constructive criticism. Play on.

Gerry
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.

Offline carazymcmahon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 08:21:29 PM
I really appreciate the feedback and that you guys took the time to write so much. thanks

I guess it does come off as I value speed over accuracy and in a way, I do, especially yesterday but certainly only for this piece (maybe i can record the nocturne op 9 no 2, the rubato might even work in that ;D), BUT I wasn't used to making mistakes in the beginning like that, not for 2 or 3 months ever had I butchered it close to that. Me thinking of playing the runs a little faster for the non classical crowd plus the things that come with nerves was a bad idea. I guess I'm trying to say that it had sounded polished in practice and lessons but when I got infront of a crowd it kinda fell apart.

Don't apoligize gerry, I want the feedback to be as harsh as it should be.

I'm a junior in high school and if I can fit music into my college schedule I will, but it's not top priority, mostly just a hobby right now.

anybody else?

Offline gerry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:44:51 PM
With that I'll only add that the habits and attitudes you develop toward whatever activity you choose to involve yourself in are forming now. Attention to accuracy and putting forth only your very best efforts are qualities that should apply to all you do. You are too accomplished at this point to consider music as just a hobby. No matter what you decide to do with your life, the piano will always serve to balance your life and your sanity. This is your art, your muse, treat her right and she will serve you all your life.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 12:53:18 AM
I agree with the comments above about speed, clarity, phrasing, etc.  But for your age and considering that its' a hobby, I think it was good.  You understood the music, and the performance was not boring at all.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert