Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Something different this time...  (Read 2593 times)

Offline electrafingers

• PS Silver Member
Something different this time...
on: December 14, 2007, 02:42:16 PM
A piece by the Romanian-Israeli composer Sergiu Natra:
Three Street Corteges
1. Carnival
2. Funeral Procession
3. Demonstration

Comments are welcome as always,
Ishay
"The laws of morality are also those of art" - Robert Schumann

Offline elevateme_returns

• PS Silver Member
Re: Something different this time...
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:01:13 PM
wow!! super super playing
elevateme's joke of the week:
If John Terry was a Spartan, the movie 300 would have been called "1."

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:29:28 PM
I'm not familiar with neither the pieces nor the composer, but I did really like this. Somewhat similiar to the works of Shchedrin. Following in the footsteps of Prokofiev and Shostakovich.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 02:22:02 AM
Superb playing!

The Funeral Procession conveys the angst of deep mourning effectively.  I sense that Natra gives a nod to Liszt and his "Funerailles".  I was also reminded of Chopin's Prelude in Cm, also portraying a funeral procession receding down the way into the far distance.  The Carnival parade conveys the promise of amusement as well as hints of its darker side.  And the Demonstration's dissonant edginess conveys rising tension and anger so effectively.  All three pieces have much to commend them.  There is a lot of contemporary music that I dislike, but I throughly enjoyed this set of pieces.

You're an extraordinary artist, Ishay.  Thanks for sharing your recordings here!   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert