Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Mazurka in Ab Op.41 no.4 / Chopin  (Read 18828 times)

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Mazurka in Ab Op.41 no.4 / Chopin
on: December 31, 2007, 08:06:22 AM
I recorded this Mazurka this afternoon after eight months away from the piece. Except for a glitch at 1:21 I'm fairly pleased with the results of this impromptu session. Heh, the next four takes were not nearly as good. I'm glad to have acheived this level of spontaneity in my playing.  :) I wonder what some of you think of it!  :)
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mazurka in Ab Op.41 no.4 / Chopin
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 07:47:37 PM
It's definetly good, especially under the conditions that you mention. I do feel that you hesitate a bit to much. That way it loses some the charm that this piece ibviously needs. Have you heard master Ruby play this piece?

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mazurka in Ab Op.41 no.4 / Chopin
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 07:10:08 PM
It's definetly good, especially under the conditions that you mention.

Thanks.  :)

I do feel that you hesitate a bit to much. That way it loses some the charm that this piece ibviously needs.

Hmm, I always get two reactions when I play mazurkas; one is yours, which is disturbed by my emphasis on the syncopation and the other where the listener feels that it's not enough syncopation and that I play them like waltzes. Hopefully some other comments will shed some light on this.

Have you heard master Ruby play this piece?

No. I should get his complete Mazurkas; I believe he only recorded all of them once, in the late '50's or early 60's. I wonder if it's still in the bins at the local bookstore....
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert