Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Bortkiewicz - Consolation #4 Op. 17 in D-flat  (Read 3195 times)

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Bortkiewicz - Consolation #4 Op. 17 in D-flat
on: January 20, 2008, 01:44:25 AM
I was inspired by wzkit who posted a recording of this piece a while back, and I had to play the piece.  Recorded on a Yamaha C4.

Here's to keeping the music alive,

-Allchopin

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bortkiewicz - Consolation #4 Op. 17 in D-flat
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 04:27:07 AM
Hi allchopin,

It's great that you studied this beautiful Consolation and could post it here.  You play it very well--nice job!  The piece almost has a dreamlike quality to it, doesn't it?  Bortkiewicz was so inventive with his themes, moods, modulations and harmonies.  Once in awhile his music is derivative, as he was influenced by Rachmaninoff, Scriabin and Wagner.  But more often than not, his ideas are freshly original.  It's wonderful that more pianists are taking an interest in playing his music.

Along with wizkit's recording, there is another of the Consolation No. 4 by fredof played on a Playel, which gives the music yet a different sound.  If you haven't heard it before, here's the link if you're interested:

https://www.savefile.com/download/704406?PHPSESSID=4c4455455bf085da305fdcab17213c0f 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline viking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 04:50:42 PM
Wow, what a great piece.  I'm really glad I listened to this.

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 03:09:56 AM
Thanks for recording this! I must say that I'm glad that quite a few others have decided to learn this piece and record it.

Love your rendition. Very dreamy feel to it. I like your unhurried pacing and the warm mellow tone you bring to it in particular.

Wonderful!

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 06:23:45 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.  And thanks to you wzkit for showing the piece off in the forum in the first place. 
Has anyone else played the accompanying pieces to his consolations (lamentations)?

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 06:47:40 PM
Oh, what a wonderful melody... I'm just melting away...

Some-where o-ver the rain-bow...  *yearns*

Where do you get the sheet music of these pieces?
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline 0range

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 05:05:38 PM
Bravo! Thanks for sharing!
"Our philosophy as New Scientist is this: science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can *** off."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert