Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Scarlatti K. 125  (Read 2616 times)

Offline rimbaud

• PS Silver Member
Scarlatti K. 125
on: May 17, 2008, 10:23:27 AM
This is my first post in the "audition room"...  I didn't include any repeats and sorta spaced at the end of the first part.  Anyway, feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Offline kard

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scarlatti K. 125
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:50:44 PM
3.75/5  ;)

I don't know if it was my speakers or what, but for a while i couldnt hear the separate voicings...It was like a mass of notes+speed lol
If it isn't my speakers I would suggest you find ways to guide the listener to something specific. (through dynamics, accents etc.)

On a second listen through, it really does sound like its more of an equipment problem. (my speakers, your recorder etc.) Thanks for posting :)

4/5

Offline rimbaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 01:17:48 AM
     Thank you very much for your reply kard!  You're absolutely right, I think this recording does sound very flat and very mushy.  I've had significant trouble recording the piano properly... I'm a complete novice when it comes to microphones, placement etc.  At first I recorded in a small room with the mic relatively close to the piano.  The sound was brittle and percussive.  Then I recorded again in a larger room with the microphone much farther from the piano (this is the recording I posted).  The brittleness was gone but at the expense of clarity and dynamic range.  Also, the mic only picked up sound for the right speaker which i don't understand. 
    Can anyone recommend good microphones etc. and tips on how to place them properly?  At the moment I have a minidisc recorder and the mic that came with it.

Offline nick

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:13:57 PM
This is my first post in the "audition room"...  I didn't include any repeats and sorta spaced at the end of the first part.  Anyway, feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

sounded well played to me. I don't know the piece, but other than crummy sound quality like my recording, souded great.

Nick
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert