Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Schoenberg - Five pieces op.23  (Read 4677 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Schoenberg - Five pieces op.23
on: June 05, 2008, 01:36:23 AM
Here they are!
recorded live

These are 1,2 and 4,5.  Number 3 coming in next post

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schoenberg - Five pieces op.23
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:39:38 AM
op.23 no.3

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 10:07:10 PM
Very nice!
It's beautiful, interesting and soul-stirring!
I'm impressed with the way you manage to give colour to every bar, how you seem to respond to every move the music makes, and to the constantly beautiful sound you produce. In short, you make the music 'speak'.
Bravo!

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 03:30:31 PM
thanks!  i love these pieces and I think they are good for piano players, because he put some kind of dynamic marking on almost every note and it really challenges you to make different sounds, to make clear texture, to imitate instruments, but all within this sort of romantic lush sound (not dry) that even requires a lot of pedal.
i studied these very hard!

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:59:45 AM
These are absolutely fantastic.  I've never heard Schoenberg played in such a sensuous way.  Pollini plays it like he plays everything else (muscular and aggressive); Gould plays it as if it were some bizarre mix of Gibbons-Mahler-Scriabin (though I like it generally); and who else has recorded these?  Anyways, it works.  It truly works.  And not only is it sensous and wonderful to listen to on that level, the clarity is stunning.  I have this score, and was able to follow even the most obscured parts.  You must have a large tool chest of secrets to solve these frustrating problems.

Numbers 4 and 5 seem a bit pushed, or somehow less comfortable then the first three.  Number 4 in particular feels to "chatty," by which I mean I don't hear enough breaths, I just hear someone chattering on and on.  The other elements which I mentioned above are still present though!

Number 1 is almost perfect.  I've really never heard this piece played in this way, and I must say I love it!

Bravo.
Walter Ramsey

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:47:41 AM
wow and thanks so much for your kind comments!  Sorry I haven't logged in in a while.
i agree with you about 4 and 5, 4 i actually had a bit of a memory lapse (the horror!) and 5 never felt musically comfortable, maybe it is just too fast dunno.
i highly recommend pianists to play these pieces! especially numbers 1, 3 and 4.
thanks again

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:49:49 AM
by the way, did you listen also to the concerto first and second movements?

I noticed that the first of the five pieces op 23 is the most downloaded.  i wonder why that is!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert