Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Mahler - Revelge  (Read 4176 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Mahler - Revelge
on: July 22, 2008, 03:44:18 AM
I know not a piano piece, but I like the way my piano playing sounds!
this is from Des Knaben Wunderhorn

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mahler - Revelge
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:19:20 AM
A haunting dark song and a very good interpretation! This piano part sounds fiendishly difficult :o

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:16:22 PM
thanks for the reply!  I was afraid nobody would listen to it. :)  Seems lke the ones that get the most listens are the warhorse repertoire!

o lordy, this piano part is hard!  I think Mahler wrote it for piano first than orchestrated it, so its not a piano arrangement, but when he wrote for the piano it was like he was writing for orchestra, becasue there are lots of strange voicings which are very hard to play.  also those trills in the consecutive thirds are very hard. 

I enjoy playign this piece though, because it truly challenges you to make orchestra sound on the piano, and gives lots of opportunity for variety.

contrary to what some may think, covering up the singer is almost never a danger in Mahler.  this was performed with the lid fully up, and I wasn't holding back at all!

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:56:55 PM
Hi andhow,

You played this accompaniment with real flourish and panache, despite some really fussy figuration in the score, where it was written "orchestrally".  Great!

I'm glad you posted this performance.  I'm quite familiar with Mahler's lieder such as Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen, Kindertotenlieder, and 5 Ruckert-Lieder, the last one being my favorite.  This hearing of Revelge was my first.  Thanks for the introduction!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 06:35:18 PM
you're a really nice compliment to the voice.  so many times either the pianist or vocalist isn't evenly matched and the piano has to make up for the voice.  this voice is really professional and smooth.  what does the text talk about? 

when he sings 'tra la lee - tra la - li'  - it's really amazing how you set him up!  i like how you get louder when he stops a phrase and you connect to the next.  a really good working as a pair!

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:00:31 PM
thanks for all ur nice comments.  I am glad that people like this song as it is one of my favorite Mahler songs.  rachfan you should definitely listen to all of Knaben Wunderhorn, I love the Lieder... GEsellen, and pretty much all of his songs, but I think Knaben Wunderhorn are my favorite!

this text is about a man in war, who is shot and nobody picks him up (probably because he is dead and he doesnt know it), then all his comrades are killed, and they wake up as corpses to defeat the enemy in war.  the Tra-la-lie Tra-la-ly is the sound of his drum, as he wakes up the skeletons to fight, and then to go back to his beloveds house!

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 09:55:37 PM
Hi andhow,

I try to listen to the Knaben Wunderhorn.  I've always thought of the Five Rukert-Lieder as being tops.  Thanks for mentioning that.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:47:28 AM
Wonderfully played, as usual!  I very much enjoyed those velvety trills where you captured the woodwind sound.

Walter Ramsey

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 05:04:57 PM
Bravo!  *claps*

It would be interesting to hear more accompaniment music on here. 

For a second, I started thinking of a college fight song.  I suppose that fits in some odd way. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert