Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Ballade Nr. 4  (Read 4977 times)

Offline alialvarez

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Ballade Nr. 4
on: October 03, 2008, 07:25:13 PM
Hey, this is my first post in this forums. This my latest recording of Chopin's 4th Ballade. It was made with a Sharp MD, so the quality is a little bit watery, so is not my excess of pedal (or maybe it is?  :)) Anyway, any comments are welcome. Be nice though  :P

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Ballade Nr. 4
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 11:46:41 AM
I personally thought that you did a great job on this piece. I just had two tiny little quibbles. After you play the introduction I think your presentation of the main theme had great feeling to it but was a little too rushed to make the beauty of that passage really sing. Also at the very end of the piece when you end with those four chords I thought you could have taken a little more time on them and really sink your fingers into them. After all, you just finished a monumental piece of music so let the listener know that.

These are just suggestions you dont have to listen. But you really did a great job on this good luck!
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline alialvarez

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 05:54:17 PM
Thanks for your comment, I think I'm still lacking a lot of sound control, probably that's why the introduction (the most difficult place in the whole ballade) is not quite convincing. I stopped working on the Ballade  but I will pick it up again some time later

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 08:18:35 AM
I think its a very nice rendition which moves me makes me reminisce about old times.
My favorite part in this piece starts at 2:20 and stops at 3:02. This part  always gives me the creeps.

How long do you play piano and how long did it take you to learn it ?
Playing the 4th ballade is one of long long term goalds I want to achive

"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline alialvarez

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 11:58:28 AM
Thanks, I've been playing that Ballade since february and I recorded it on July 6th, so... about 6 months. I've been playin piano since i was 13 though, quite late to start. Now I'm 24. I'm not quite the virtuoso, but it's what I do for living and I can't live without doing it if you know what I mean  ???

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 06:31:53 PM
late to start??

i started at 17....

:(
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 12:43:26 PM
very nicely played, sir! i enjoyed it a lot.

Offline pianomx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 01:29:53 PM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert