Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Sonata Op. 31 No. 3 (complete) - please listen  (Read 5373 times)

Offline mkaykov

• PS Silver Member
Hello all,

I just finished learning this Sonata, which I will probably play for my exams in April. This took me a little more than a month to do, which is the fastest I ever learned anything. The first movement is the most difficult for me to play......

Tell me what you think, I know 20 minutes of music is a lot, but I will appreciate any comments. I am not fully satisfied with the slow movement, it takes a great deal of finger control to play....and the beginning of it is not what I wanted to hear when I played the recording back.........

It took me several tries to get the first movement recorded, but movements 2-4 are all a single take. There is a small splice at 20:03 because I didn't get the rhythm quite right the first time. Other than that, there is no editing.

The alternate take is better than the first performance, by the way.

Anyway, I hope this is not too bad,

Best Wishes,

Mikhail

P.S. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving..........

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Sonata Op. 31 No. 3 (complete) - please listen
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 07:58:56 AM
This sonata is a favorite of mine.  In your playing I notice wonderful nuances, such as your variation in touch.  I also like how you punctuate the bass soundly at points.  Your playing is very precise as well.  In the lyrical movement you demonstrate your lyrical ability.  A little criticism:  The first movement you might want to make more playful, and more laissez-faire.  Your tempos also seem to be streamlined; I believe there is an inexorable effect there.  For the entire time, except for the lyrical movement, it feels to me like we're in the coda of the first movement of Beethoven's 5th symphony.  We need to be able to breathe a bit, especially in a fun and congenial work such as this.

This was a pleasure to listen to.  You possess all the capabilities and sensitivity of a complete pianist.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline mkaykov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 05:11:20 PM
thank you very much for listening, and your detailed response. I listened to the Sonata again, and I don't like the First movement - it is a bit rushed at times - and the tempo fluctuates in some sections.
There is a great deal of work that needs to be done, so far I have a "rough sketch" of this Sonata.

I just uploaded an alternate take of the first movement, I think it is better than yesterday's performance. Please tell me what you think....

Best,
Mikhail

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:09:06 AM
I like your alternate take of the first movement much better than the first.  Right from the start you can tell a marked difference in tone.  I think it is relaxed and more in keeping with the spirit of the movement; your first take sounds businesslike to me. 

Nice adjustment. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline mkaykov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 09:23:01 PM
of course this recording is just a draft  - there are a huge number of things that I need to work out.............I have until April (when the piano exam will be).

Thank you for listening and your feedback.

Best,
Mikhail

Offline timmyb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 01:19:31 AM
I enjoyed your playing very much.I hesitate to offer criticism to someone who's better than me but I do think you could do a better job of the poco ritards in the scherzo especially those starting bars 32 and 137.I couldn't detect any slowing here and I really think that they are important.
Also can you get your piano tuned please.It's not doing you justice.

Offline mkaykov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 03:08:53 AM
thank you for pointing those sections out, I will do them right now.

My piano was tuned yesterday - too bad I am working on a crapload of Liszt now..............It will be out of tune soon.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 03:26:21 AM
i listened to the alternate 1st movement. considering that its a new piece, its very good. may be you can strive for some variety of touch and colour. op. 31 no 3 = sunny, positive, light hearted. the more you play it the more it gets better. already its very good: clean, and well studied.
dignity, love and joy.

Offline mkaykov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 02:14:33 AM
thank you for all your replies. I will work on this again around March, or even sooner, as my piano exams will be in April................
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert