Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: My Jesus My Saviour - Improv paraphrase  (Read 7123 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
My Jesus My Saviour - Improv paraphrase
on: January 07, 2009, 10:25:49 AM
I've been playing church music for many years now, and let it be known I'm not a fan of "praise music".  I've heard this song butchered so many times. 

This improv is not meant to offend anyone who likes this kind of music.  It isn't meant to sound pretty or complacent either. 

I've been practicing how to use "heavy texture" to accompany tunes, and part of this improv uses such technique. 

Please try to keep the religious debate in the other threads dedicated to them  ;)

Sharpen your meat cleavers...
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Re: My Jesus My Saviour - Improv paraphrase
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:47:31 AM
I liked it, As usual. Like all your impros. What do you mean with "heavy texture accompanying a tune?" Do you hold the melody with the left pedal while going nuts on the notes around it?
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:13:43 AM
Thanks for listening Petter.

In one of my early Uni courses, we had done some intense study and listening to texture.  Monophony, homophony, note-against-note, etc...  One of the ones on the list was heavy texture.  It can be described as a sound so dense, it does not fall into any of the other categories. 

I randomly came across the idea of trying to use such dense sound to accompany a melody while improvising at home.  Most of the time I've heard heavy texture used as special effects in music.  Instead of harmonic changes of chords accompanying the melody, I try to use sonic changes in the dense heavy texture to accompany.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline will_danielsfff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:35:15 AM
it sounded interesting. however, especially because it was lengthy, i think you should make it more contrasting harmonically, melodically, and rhythmically, and i guess also any other aspects of music. honestly it seemed almost the same the whole way through, with the only noticeable differences being the contrasts from loud and aggressive to very quiet and humble. to keep interest for that period of time there should be more changes and variations, in my opinion. BUT i still thought it was a really interesting concept and what you did sounded pretty fresh and more than just someone randomly banging on a piano. i could tell that it was still thought out.  ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert