Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Reps on repertoire  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reps on repertoire
on: June 23, 2005, 02:46:29 AM
Hmmm... let's see what this stirs up....

I'm working on a piece of music.  (...mm, k?)

I would like to do many repetitions on parts of it.  I can tell these repetitions help.  I start out doing five reps on each part of the piece. 

Then I notch the tempo up and do some more reps over the piece.

It works well.  I can tell the piece is sinking in more and more.  I would like to keep going, keep getting that progress.  It's nice.  However, I've repeated the piece ten times and it's getting pretty boring. 

I like seeing the piece being easier and easier to play, that I don't have to read the music as closely or with as much concentration.  I like knowing that my hands (physical plyaing apparatus) are getting a workout and I will stay in shape this way, maybe even pushing things a little.

But it's more and more like "work" to sit there drilling the piece like this by the end.  The next day is easier because I'm fresh, but if that what I have to do, that's what I have to do.

Any ideas for doing many repetitions?  Or maybe this isn't the best way to go about working on the piece? 

Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline minimozart007

• PS Silver Member
Re: Reps on repertoire
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 02:57:04 AM
well... assuming your not doing mindless repetition...

when I have to repeat a segment, Ill alternate btw

trying to see the keys in my head and my hands playing them with my eyes closed

thinking through different voices if its a polyphonic piece

inverting dynamics

Changing articulation

and so on.

I dont know if this helps.
 :-X :-[ :P ;D
You need more than a piano, two hands and a brain to play music.  You also need hot sauce.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 04:05:10 AM
I'm not sure.  What do you mean by mindless repetition?

The repetition helps.  After awhile, my mind is freer than it was.  At first, some places I needed to really concentrate otherwise I would mess up.  Not so much now.  But now, I'm pushing for more speed.  Those problems come back -- no attention at a faster speed and I mess up.  Some of the reps are just to "ease" things since I get too tense I think from pushing the tempo.  So sometimes I'm focusing on correct notes, some times pushing the tempo, sometimes easing, and then sometimes just playing for the reps (like if I tell myself I will do five reps on each section).

Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 06:07:55 AM
OK.  Now that we are on the subject. What I hate is doing lots of slow repititions on  a really hard page, and trying to speed it up even the tiniest bit and it dies.  So back to the same slow tempo - more repititions - try it up a notch one more time - flop - damn - and so on and so on.  I am working on a bit like this, and even though it does speed up in tiny bits - it is taking WAAAAAAAY longer than I thought it would to get it.  it's the coda to ballade #1 in g minor.  cripes!
So much music, so little time........
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert