Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: To old?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline lisztener

• PS Silver Member
To old?
on: July 03, 2005, 08:14:35 PM
Am I to old to become a pianist...?  Honestly, I'm 17 going on 18, and I've played for about 2 years more or less. And I know: It's never too late yadda yadda but to become a pianist thats good, where does the ageline go? (a bit floating I suppose but still)

Offline nomis

• PS Silver Member
Re: To old?
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 08:25:52 PM
Well to become a concert pianist, history is very much against you as most of them are either child prodigies or have been studying since they were children. However, it is all about marketing. To become a good pianist, you must study diligently and intelligently, with a good teacher.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 09:02:46 PM
Both Volodos and Paderewski left it rather late. Go for it.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 10:31:52 PM
I started at 18, and aim (realistically btw) to do my performer's exam when I'm 23.  I don't plan to be a performer, but a teacher, so I'm not quite in the same boat as you.  I don't know if this helps but I thought I'd throw in my two cents as well.  I practice and do theory for about 40 hours a week.  It is alot of work, but worth it if you love it.
Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 01:11:28 AM
IF you think of it as your full-time job, I don't see any reason why you coulden't do it, It would probably be more work than an undergrad though, so don't burn out or wreck your body!!!

Take it from me, dilligence and balance go hand in hand Don't forget to have fun...get a dirtbike, or a good book...whatever tickles your fancy.
I (out of the blue) decided that I wanted my ARCT in four years from about a gr. 5-6 level (mind you, I was playing a lot of pop music previously)
I've basically considered this to be my full-time job.
Gr. ten came a year-and-a-half later, and I hope to have my letters in Two more.  Of course, my sight was brutal, but get a good teacher for those "other" categories.

Go for it
"He who answers without listening...that is his folly and his shame"    (A very wise person)

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 02:39:36 PM
You are never too old to do something you are interested in.  The reality is that age may play an important factor in whether you can do something professionally.  In other words, if I decide, at 40, to take up basketball, it's ulikely I'll ever play in the pros.  Does that mean that I couldn't play it the rest of my life and enjoy it?  No!

Let me ask you, do you want to play the piano because you love it? Or, do you want to play it so you can become a famous concert pianist?

If you have the first, you very well might achieve the second.  If all you have is the second.....well....

Do what you love, let money and fame do what they will.

Also, if you're interested in piano, start now.  Or, would you rather be asking this question when you're 50?
Don't let your music die inside you.

Offline pianobabe_56

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 07:10:46 PM
Both Volodos and Paderewski left it rather late. Go for it.

Not that Paderewski is a good example. I guess he is a pretty good example for marketing, though.

Maybe you should buy a wig.
<('.'<)   (>'.')>

Mind like a steel trap... Rusty and illegal in 37 states!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 08:24:26 PM
Yes, not a good example.

Buy a wig and turn up to concerts in your own train.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline luc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 09:45:11 PM
Yes, not a good example.

Buy a wig and turn up to concerts in your own train.

Useful advice! Should give it a try  ::)
OSMOSE NOW

Offline joyfulmusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 12:31:30 PM
Read John Holt's book "Never Too Late".  He learned to play the cello at 50.  Very interesting book.  I also recommend Rubensteins' autobiography - "My Younger Years'".  Basically he screwed around a lot and winged it at the keyboard until he was older.  I do not believe that you need anyone else's permission to do anything anytime.  If the passion has been born in you, then that's all you need.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert