Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude 10/3  (Read 3499 times)

Offline keys

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude 10/3
on: July 13, 2005, 01:59:38 AM
Is Chopin's Etude 10/3 meant to be played as an introduction to 10/4? In the Urtext edition I have there is the marking "attacca il presto con fuoco" at the end of 10/3, and it doesn't really fit there unless it is referring to 10/4.

Has anyone learned the entire Op.10 etudes? I am in the process and would be interested in hearing how others went about it. At the moment, I've been adding a new etude every few days while continuing to practice the etudes I previously learnt. It's been working fine so far, but once I get near the end I will need a heck of a lot of practice time to get through everything. It takes me on average two hours just to memorize ONE! I am a third of the way through.

Thanks everyone!

Offline barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude 10/3
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 03:13:52 AM
"Time may change the technique of music, but it will not affect its fundamental mission" Rachmaninoff             (Former Barbosa-piano)

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 07:58:06 PM
Chopin actually wrote "attacca il presto con fuoco" on the end of the last page of Op. 10 no. 3, refering to the following Op. 10 no. 4. There are many questions whether they are are supposed to be played together, but I believe that they are not actually connected in any way, being performed separetly in many occasions. Except that, if you are playing the entire set, this should prepare you for a more tense performance of the following. This is probably one of the few editions that indicate that.

Has anyone learned the entire Op.10 etudes? I am in the process and would be interested in hearing how others went about it. At the moment, I've been adding a new etude every few days while continuing to practice the etudes I previously learnt. It's been working fine so far, but once I get near the end I will need a heck of a lot of practice time to get through everything. It takes me on average two hours just to memorize ONE! I am a third of the way through.

I am also on the process of learning them. I've found some difficulties, but everything runs fine with everyday practice. I am now using 2 different editions, Cortot's (which I think is the best there is) and Mikuli's edition. They have some differences in technique usage, which can be very profitable for the performance of the piece if you learn both.
Those are very good Etudes, and great pieces.
Enjoy pratice! ;)
Mario Barbosa
Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]

Offline keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 12:39:57 AM
thank you   :)

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 04:07:19 AM
Learning all of Op. 25 would be so much more rewarding, I think. Then again, so would learning both opuses.

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 06:02:09 AM
I discovered that almost all the etudes give a great effect, when played attacca with the following, by listening to Valentina Lisitsa.

On her website you can download the entire Op.10 and Op.25 recorded live at Carnegie (I highly recommend it, Valentina owns the Chopin's Etudes IMO). Then when you listen to each set, you find out she hardly stops a quarter second after each etude and starts the following, except after Op.10 N.4, she needed to take a little pause, he he, but what a performance on that one  :o !!

https://www.valentinalisitsa.com/audiopage.htm
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 06:36:49 PM
Thanks quasimodo.

Steinwayguy:

I like both op 10 and op 25, but I thought it would make sense to learn op 10 first, because it is first. What would make op. 25 "so much more rewarding"?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert