Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's Op. 25 No. 10 questions  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's Op. 25 No. 10 questions
on: July 31, 2005, 09:36:42 AM
Firstly, what kind of pedalling should one use in the octave etude? Too much seems to blur the hell out of the piece and too little makes it sound staccato or not forceful enough.

And secondly, following the introduction (the first two lines or whatever), as soon as the main theme kicks in, are you supposed to hold down the middle notes in each hand or just play them for the first octave? It seems impossible to actually hold them down while octave-ing at a rapid speed.
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline pseudopianist

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Op. 25 No. 10 questions
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 03:08:34 PM
I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be played with pedal at last not the middle in B major.

https://www.pianosociety.com/index.php?id=112
Whisky and Messiaen

Offline pianohopper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 02:27:08 AM
I don't believe there are any pedaling marks in my edition (Padwerski).  This doesn't mean that you can't add them in, though.  I think it all depends on your preferences and your comfort level with this.  (pseudopianist -- I think the middle sounds better with pedal than without.)  But keep it very light, subtle.  Maybe try it at the beginning of each grouping of triplets. 

IF you are pedaling heavily, there should be no need to hold down the middle notes.  Actually there should be no need to if you just give it a good, loud, ringing accent.  bring out that melody and there will be no need to hold it.

Chopin is layered.
"Today's dog in the alley is tomorrow's moo goo gai pan."  ~ Chinese proverb

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 12:16:57 PM
Come to think of it, I've yet to hear a single recording that doesn't use pedal...
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 12:11:02 AM
Pedalling is necessary for a more legato sound in both outer and middle sections.  However you have to judge balance between how much pedal is necessary to achieve legato, and how much would make it all a blur. 

Try half or quarter pedalling.  Experiment with your piano. 

As for holding the notes, I make sure they are brought out over the sound of the octaves.  I also hold the notes as much as possible to preserve the melodic line and to catch them on the pedal, although I don't hold them for their full written value.  In some places where the held note is only a quarter, it is possible to let go if you use the pedal to cary the sound of that quarter note. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert