Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Rondo Mistakes during Performance  (Read 1356 times)

Offline beginner0

• PS Silver Member
Rondo Mistakes during Performance
on: August 11, 2005, 10:29:00 PM
Hi, I was just wondering what should be done if I make a mistake in a Rondo and goes into another part. Should I repeat/skip or restart from where I went into the wrong part?

Offline abell88

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rondo Mistakes during Performance
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 01:55:23 AM
Well, if you could play A C A B A smoothly, you might be able to carry it off so that only those who are familiar with the piece would know something was wrong.  Or, if you ended up doing A C A C A, it's not ideal but you could probably get away with it.

Offline beginner0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 02:52:19 AM
Thanks, but how about for an exam?

Offline abell88

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 01:42:59 PM
I may be mistaken here, but I believe examiners prefer you to play as if giving a performance; the more seamless the better. In other words, don't stop and re-start, but rather carry on as convincingly as possible. 

You are more likely to make a mistake like that if you have been just trusting your fingers  to do the right thing; if you study the score and find some way to memorize (with intellect, not fingers) the order of the sections you will probably be able to play it right. For example, I remember reading an analysis of a piece that had two similar sections, but the first one started with E D G in the LH, so the writer thought of that as the "Edgar" section. ( I don't remember what he did for the second section, but you can get the idea. )
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert