Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: How would you play Patquie  (Read 2434 times)

Offline super5james

• PS Silver Member
How would you play Patquie
on: August 19, 2005, 08:30:42 PM
Im working on the Patuqie sonata and thing thats geting me is the rhythmn on the first
page (DOVER)  its killing me so your thoughts and intpretions are helpfull.
If music be the fruit of life then play on

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Re: How would you play Patquie
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 08:33:06 PM
What composer is that from? I have never heard of that piece (neither Patuqie, nor Patquie) :o

Offline luc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 08:49:22 PM
Do you mean Pathetique?
OSMOSE NOW

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 08:59:53 PM
take a piece of paper and write out a steady stream of 16th notes beamed into groups of 4's

look at your Patsie (or whatever) score and then put accents under the respective notes on your stream of 16ths.

Tap them and tap the accented ones a lot louder.

Do this for 3 minutes at a time.

Slowly drop the other notes out untill you have the "bare" rythm without any supporting "beat signposts"

If this doesen't work, then either talk to your teacher, or work on something easier.

Beethoven's  Moonloft is a little easier....
"He who answers without listening...that is his folly and his shame"    (A very wise person)

Offline nicko124

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 09:48:15 PM
take a piece of paper and write out a steady stream of 16th notes beamed into groups of 4's

look at your Patsie (or whatever) score and then put accents under the respective notes on your stream of 16ths.

Tap them and tap the accented ones a lot louder.

Do this for 3 minutes at a time.

Slowly drop the other notes out untill you have the "bare" rythm without any supporting "beat signposts"

If this doesen't work, then either talk to your teacher, or work on something easier.

Beethoven's  Moonloft is a little easier....

Yes if you are reffering to Pathetique sonata I recommend that you learn to spell and/or pronounce it properly :-[

Offline super5james

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 02:09:03 PM
I agree Moonlight is a lot easier the the pathquie.That is a good way to learn.I have never
tried it that way but ill give it a whril.

Offline janne p.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 04:38:34 PM
Yes if you are reffering to Pathetique sonata I recommend that you learn to spell and/or pronounce it properly :-[

I find it hilarious when someone's complaining about another's inability to spell and then can't do it him/herself ;) (It's spelled referring.)
Im Himmel gibts keinen Vibrato.

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 06:27:14 PM
I find it hilarious that you take the spelling comment completely out of context and apply it to a mere word within a sentence. We are talking about a piece of music that a guy is supposedly starting to play, yet he completely butchers the name. There's a big difference.

Offline janne p.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 10:03:22 PM
I didn't say nicko124 was doing a worse time spelling - because he isn't - but stating that I find the irony of the accuser making the same mistake (yes, smaller and not of any importance for the topic - but that's not the point) as the accused amusing.

And I wonder, what is one supposed to apply a spelling comment in context to if not "a mere word within a sentence?"

Offline maul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 12:10:22 AM
Ok, I'll repeat myself then. It's not the same mistake. It is the point. It's not a mere, random word within a sentence. It's the name of a composition which a musician shouldn't completely destroy if he/she has intentions of playing it. You took the spelling comment (once again, directed at the name of a composition), and applied it to something completely different: a mere word with no relevance within a sentence. Therefore, while trying to somehow show irony in someone's post and sound superior, you show absolutely nothing but your own flawed judgment.

Offline janne p.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 01:22:00 AM
It's not the same mistake.
If you spell a word wrong and I spell a word wrong, we've both spelled a word wrong, right? And that would mean we've both done the same thing, right? Which means that we made the same mistake, right?

I already mentioned that the quality of the misspelling wasn't of the same importance:
yes, smaller and not of any importance for the topic
I have, from the start, not once even implied it to be of a similar graveness to misspell a trivial word as re-baptizing one of the history of music's brilliant gems beyond recognition. That is not the point of my remark, which we've been discussing from the beginning.

It's not a mere, random word within a sentence.
No; I was referring to nicko124's typo, and the term "a mere word" was, in fact, labelled to that very post by you:
I find it hilarious that you take the spelling comment completely out of context and apply it to a mere word within a sentence.

Therefore, while trying to somehow show irony in someone's post and sound superior, you show absolutely nothing but your own flawed judgment.
I wasn't trying to show irony. I guess you didn't see it as your vision was blurred by your misconceptuous anti-elitism. If having fun on behalf of others is sounding superior to you, feel free to keep your conviction. I could've made the same mistake (chiding the erroneous with errors), in which case I would've been laughing at myself when noticing my fault. Would that have meant that I'd be trying to sound superior to myself?
I think you should think over your own replies before you speak of flawed judgments.

Offline leahcim

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 02:06:08 AM
not once even implied it to be of a similar graveness to misspell a trivial word as re-baptizing one of the history of music's brilliant gems beyond recognition.

It wouldn't matter if you had. This is Beethoven, I assume, and AIUI he didn't give his pieces the names that we know them by.

Offline janne p.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 02:26:46 AM
It wouldn't matter if you had. This is Beethoven, I assume, and AIUI he didn't give his pieces the names that we know them by.

Well, in this case he did. The Pathétique is one of only two sonatas he named himself. (The other is Les Adieux, though he named it in German as Das Lebewohl and didn't particularly like the French translation.)

Offline leahcim

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 02:29:31 AM
Well, in this case he did. The Pathétique is one of only two sonatas he named himself. (The other is Les Adieux, though he named it in German as Das Lebewohl and didn't particularly like the French translation.)

Depends which google link you believe :)

Offline rosana

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 02:31:04 AM
This is the funniest post I have ever read... I have laughed for about 10 minutes. Thank you all.
 ;D

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 05:23:08 AM
Wow...that was just fascinating you guys... :P
"He who answers without listening...that is his folly and his shame"    (A very wise person)

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2005, 02:12:47 PM
I find it hilarious when someone's complaining about another's inability to spell and then can't do it him/herself ;) (It's spelled referring.)

bwahahahahaha

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2005, 03:25:06 PM
I should work on my new student refferal program....

Wow...say the word refff--er---al  It sounds violent. >:(

Offline janne p.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 02, 2005, 07:31:04 PM
Oh man. I would say you guys are quite Pathétique, but I'm too lazy and it's beyond me.

Offline super5james

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2005, 07:58:52 PM
My Bad im useing a pubic comptuer and i dont have things memorized on the top of my head execpt music of course.This is a spelling bee so get over your mistakes and move on

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: September 02, 2005, 08:43:16 PM
My Bad im useing a pubic comptuer and i dont have things memorized on the top of my head execpt music of course.This is a spelling bee so get over your mistakes and move on

Using the pubic "computer" when it comes to thinking is often to a man's detriment ;D

I start to get the feeling you are just pulling our legs.

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: September 03, 2005, 03:52:01 AM
Using the pubic "computer" when it comes to thinking is often to a man's detriment ;D

I start to get the feeling you are just pulling our legs.

If he wasnt, that would sure be a delicious irony
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert