Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: perfect pitch  (Read 6280 times)

Offline infectedmushroom

• PS Silver Member
Re: perfect pitch
Reply #100 on: October 10, 2005, 04:12:22 PM
I don't have perfect pitch, but I wanna train it, if possible. I don't know if there are some "ear" trainings to develop a better pitch? I really have a hard time saying which note is played, but I do can play some songs by ear when I'm playing the piano and I just listen to it and try.

And btw: if I have something in mind, I can play it (if it's technically not too difficult). It's really "naming" the notes where I have problems with.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #101 on: October 11, 2005, 12:00:21 AM
Try Auralia - Thats supposed to be pretty damn good software for developing aural abilities. You heard of it before??? made by the same people who make sibelius.

It's good for students.

Offline bearzinthehood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #102 on: October 11, 2005, 06:27:11 AM
I don't have perfect pitch, but I wanna train it, if possible. I don't know if there are some "ear" trainings to develop a better pitch? I really have a hard time saying which note is played, but I do can play some songs by ear when I'm playing the piano and I just listen to it and try.

And btw: if I have something in mind, I can play it (if it's technically not too difficult). It's really "naming" the notes where I have problems with.

Well I'm no expert, but seeing as I've experienced some success I'd like to make a few suggestions.  I used the good-ear.com perfect pitch trainer a lot, but if you don't use it right I don't think you'll make any progress.  So here's what worked for me:

- Try to associate an emotion or feeling to each pitch.  Think, what does this pitch feel like, how does it tickle my brain?  As I mentioned earlier, I used the F from Beethoven's Op. 106.  For me F sounds tranquil, cosmic.

- Use your mistakes to your advantage.  Just being pissed off from missing a note can be a benefit.  For a while I kept missing D and it was pissing me off, so when I hear D now I think, "oh, that sounds like **** I screwed up", and as a result D is now one of the easiest pitches to identify for me.

- DO NOT use your relative pitch at all in any way shape or form.  Do NOT memorize the sound of C and then start counting up some scale to get to the note.  This might get you the right answer, but half an hour later you won't be able to get it again.  You are not trying to get the most number of correct answers, you are trying to get a natural feeling for the sound of each note.  This means that every mistake is an opportunity for you to listen to the note you missed as many times as it takes for it to thoroughly percolate through your auditory system.  I think this is the most important thing, if you are trying to train perfect pitch.  You can not EVER use your relative pitch in the process of training.  At first I was doing this and it was total garbage results.

Anyways, I hope these tips help and wish you the best of luck with acquiring absolute pitch.

Offline infectedmushroom

• PS Silver Member
Reply #103 on: October 11, 2005, 08:03:09 AM
Thanks a lot for your answer and information bearzinthehood!

I'm gonna try the things you recommended and I hope it'll work.  :)

EDIT: I tried something with the "perfect pitch" option on that site. I just started easy, with the C,D and the E only. And yeah, if I really thought of a note, it doesn't help you really. Now I just listened to the note and the first thing what came up in my mind are songs wich I play, starting with the same note. With that coming into my mind it was really easy to name the notes. Well, I hope this will help me to develop a better pitch, thanks again bearzinthehood.

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #104 on: October 12, 2005, 12:37:39 PM
im afraid i cant help much on the training side. there are websites to help train PP? how do you train someone through a web program?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert