Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Tchaikovksy's October, from the Seasons  (Read 8068 times)

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Tchaikovksy's October, from the Seasons
on: September 10, 2005, 07:08:03 PM
Here's a rendition, which I suspect will be way to slow for most, but feels just right for me in order to bring out the melancholy in the music. Comments would very much be welcome.

Offline chozart

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tchaikovksy's October, from the Seasons
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 06:51:47 AM
it's a beautiful touch, but I do think it is in fact too slow.. I know you want to show more emotion by playing like this, but in fact, it'd work in your favour to play it a bit faster and with more movement ~ you'd do him justice to play it more strictly, actually..
this, along with June, is my favourite of the Tchai seasons, and I've always loved Tchai ~ you seem to enjoy this work too, and may get more out of it to play it differently

nice job though
Music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music."
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 07:33:47 AM
it's a beautiful touch, but I do think it is in fact too slow.. I know you want to show more emotion by playing like this, but in fact, it'd work in your favour to play it a bit faster and with more movement ~ you'd do him justice to play it more strictly, actually..
this, along with June, is my favourite of the Tchai seasons, and I've always loved Tchai ~ you seem to enjoy this work too, and may get more out of it to play it differently

nice job though

Thanks. I think I will try working on a faster interpretation that speaks to me. The problem is, many of the faster interpretations simply do not speak to me. I might have been too hooked on the slow interpretations of Mikhail Pletnev and Vladimir Tropp, so now you know where I got some of my ideas from. Somehow only they can make the music work that slowly. I would have loved to hear Richter play this piece.

June is a wonderful piece which I have learnt, but not had the time to record. I think Richter played June beautifully, though very slowly too. Perhaps if you have recorded this music, you can post it up here!

Offline allthumbs

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 04:48:40 AM

Greetings

Here's a rendition, which I suspect will be way to slow for most, but feels just right for me in order to bring out the melancholy in the music. Comments would very much be welcome.

You played it beautifully and it spoke to me. :'( I agree with you that the tempo felt right to bring out the melencholy of this piece.

I'm inspired to learn this piece starting tomorrow.

Cheers :)

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 02:59:34 PM
Glad you liked it! Fortunately, notes wise this piece isn't too difficult...the difficulty lies in , getting the voicing, phrasing and the colours right, bringing out the feeling to its fullest intensity, without causing it to drag or become sentimental (something which I have some difficulty obviously). Do post a recording here when you've learnt it!

Offline allthumbs

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 04:51:09 PM
BTW wzkit, what piano did you record the piece on and what equipment did you use. It sounded professionally done.
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 05:32:13 PM
BTW wzkit, what piano did you record the piece on and what equipment did you use. It sounded professionally done.

It was recorded on a 7 foot Ibach grand, can't remember the model name. The recording was done using a Tascam DAT recorder, and 2 AKG condenser mikes (can't remember the model name), which I had purchased, together with two other mikes and a mixer, on the day of this was recorded. This recording was actually meant to test the recording equipment we had. Had my friend, who is trained as a recording engineer to do it for me. Glad that you found the recording professionally done. I'm sure my engineer will be glad to hear that!

I'll check up with my engineer on the equipment and get back to you on this.

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 06:22:47 PM
Another recording of the same piece, using a different (4 mike instead of 2 mike) set up, done 10 days later. Although the basic interpretative framework is the same as the earlier recording, I find the execution somewhat more deliberate.

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 04:21:47 PM
It was recorded on a 7 foot Ibach grand, can't remember the model name. The recording was done using a Tascam DAT recorder, and 2 AKG condenser mikes (can't remember the model name), which I had purchased, together with two other mikes and a mixer, on the day of this was recorded. This recording was actually meant to test the recording equipment we had. Had my friend, who is trained as a recording engineer to do it for me. Glad that you found the recording professionally done. I'm sure my engineer will be glad to hear that!

I'll check up with my engineer on the equipment and get back to you on this.

Here's the list of equipment that we used for the first recording of October
2 AKG C4000B condenser microphones
TASCAM DA-P1

For the second recording, in addition to the above, we also used:
A stereo matched pair of AKG C451B mics
and a Mackie 1404 analog mixer

Hope that helps

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 05:10:46 PM
So beautifull...
I like the supplement of definition got with the 451s. How do you place them with respect to the instrument ?

Offline kreso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 12:28:11 PM
Very, very beatifull sound...
I can hear that you like to play those piece. :)

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 01:34:41 PM
Very, very beatifull sound...
I can hear that you like to play those piece. :)

Thank you. I hope like me, you love this music too. It is simple in the notes yes, but extremely difficult to produce the right sound and musically very challenging. Do you play this piece yourself?

Offline kreso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 05:29:58 PM
Thank you. I hope like me, you love this music too. It is simple in the notes yes, but extremely difficult to produce the right sound and musically very challenging. Do you play this piece yourself?

Unfortunatly-no. But one of the first CD I got was Richter's performance of the Tchaikovsky pieces so I really have his pieces in my hart (althaught Richter doesn't play October..), and for me, those things are like a sweet chocolate candies, which I listen whit great love
(This is also the case with your performance..)

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 06:23:42 PM
Unfortunatly-no. But one of the first CD I got was Richter's performance of the Tchaikovsky pieces so I really have his pieces in my hart (althaught Richter doesn't play October..), and for me, those things are like a sweet chocolate candies, which I listen whit great love
(This is also the case with your performance..)

Sweet chocolate candies - that's quite a nice analogy, but at the same time, there's quite a bit of depth of feeling despite its apparent simplicity. Indeed, I think the simplicity and directness lends a feeling of sincerity. This is music that comes from deep in the heart, no less.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert