Piano Forum

Poems of Ecstasy – Scriabin’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
The great early 20th-century composer Alexander Scriabin left us 74 published opuses, and several unpublished manuscripts, mainly from his teenage years – when he would never go to bed without first putting a copy of Chopin’s music under his pillow. All of these scores (220 pieces in total) can now be found on Piano Street’s Scriabin page. Read more >>

Topic: Schumann-what it takes  (Read 5312 times)

Offline verywellmister

• PS Silver Member
Schumann-what it takes
on: June 16, 2006, 06:32:03 PM
I have never done German music like Schumann before and I may learn one of his pieces in the near future, but what makes his music difficult? 
I have heard some people use heavy rubato or tempo changes throughout his pieces and some who don't.  This really puzzles me.  Could someone give me an example of a schumann interpreter?  Thanks.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

i thought i heard my washing machine playing Ondine
Robert Schumann:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann-what it takes
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:12:12 PM
Clara Haskil and Cortot play beautiful Schumann, as does Gilels. I will also admit to liking a lot of Pollini's Schumann as well. Argerich plays some good Schumann (her recordings of his chamber works are particularly wonderful). Cziffra rules at Schumann- he plays an AMAZING op. 26 Carnaval, and also check out the Schumann recordings of Kempff, Horowitz, Rubinstein, Demus, and Alvanis. The (unfortunately very few) recordings of Schumann that Kapell and Lipatti made are divine, and Fiorentino's Schumann is unbelievably satisfying- oh to play like he did...

Schumann is very flexible, I think his works are really open to a lot of different interpretations. Just think the pieces through, develop a vision of your own of them- I feel that they're very literary in a sense, and once I realized that it was much easier for me to interpret the pieces.

The notes themselves are often awkward and unpianistic to play, so be forewarned. You definitely will have to experiment with fingerings when learning his works. His works tend to have a lot of layers, and it can be difficult to bring the several layers out just right. It's a bit too easy to overpedal and lose the layers, resulting in an unpleasant mushy mess. So pedaling is also key- really listen to yourself playing, make sure you're playing it as you hear it in your head.

Enjoy your foray into German music! It's definitely my favorite musical nation. :)

[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann-what it takes
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 03:24:15 AM
Enjoy your foray into German music! It's definitely my favorite musical nation. :)

Mine is russian :) :D

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert