Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Example Studio Policies  (Read 40692 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Example Studio Policies
on: August 10, 2006, 07:35:35 PM
As per title.  Would anyone care to post examples of their studio policies?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Re: Example Studio Policies
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 03:22:57 AM
Here's mine. Unchanged for eight years, except the rates are higher now. Lol I'm wondering when I can raise them again. The best teacher in the state (imo) charges only $20 more per hour than I do, sometimes I think teachers here are undercutting each other. That doesn't happen back east. Here in this small western USA city last year I believe I was the first teacher to go to $50 per hour. All the other serious teachers now charge the same rate.

I have found that this piece of paper makes the client pay attention and take lessons seriously, it sends the message that I am serious about this, not a babysitter. But it's getting to the point where those people don't come around and only the truly interested contact me, which is how I want it. Anyway, I hope you find this useful in creating your own studio policy. I copied this out of a book and adjusted it to suit my needs.

ARENSKY PIANO STUDIO

ARENSKY MUSIC
(888) 888-8888

STUDIO POLICY

TIME:     Lessons will be either thirty minutes, forty-five minutes or
one hour in length.
             Note:   All parents/guardians are welcome at any time to observe.

COST:     Twenty-five dollars ($25.00) per half-hour lesson;
Thirty –seven dollars and fifty cents ($37.50) per 45 minute lesson;
Fifty dollars ($50.00) per full hour lesson.

PAYMENT:    Please make checks payable to ARENSKY MUSIC.  Lessons will be billed on a monthly basis at the beginning of each month.  Checks should be remitted at the first lesson each month and will total the cost of the number of lessons to be taken during the month. 

CANCELLATIONS:    Lessons canceled with twenty-four (24) hours advance notice will be rescheduled schedule permitting.  Students are responsible to pay for lessons canceled without twenty-four hours notice.  No refund will be given for no-shows or tardiness.  If you think you will be delayed, please call to let me know if you will be coming.

STUDIO PHONE:  The Studio phone number is (888) 888-8888.  Please feel free to call between the hours of 9AM and 9 PM if you have any cancellations, questions, or need to arrange a conference.  If I am teaching or out when you call, an answering machine will take your message. 

It is my sincerest hope that you understand the necessity of establishing a STUDIO POLICY.  If you have questions regarding this policy don't hesitate to call. 

Welcome to the Studio,
Sincerely yours,

arensky

=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 08:57:09 PM
This is a rather large studio I teach for.  The policy is strictly enforced since there are so many teachers and students. 

Courtesy Information

Payment
Monthly tuition rates are based upon the nine-month school year during which there are 34 weeks of instruction plus the recitals and festivals. The monthly tuition payment is due September through May. Summer lessons can be pro-rated when a schedule is agreed upon at the beginning of each month, June through August.
Tuition payments are due by the first lesson of the month. If tuition is not received before the tenth of the month, a $10 late fee will be incurred and lessons will be suspended until tuition is paid.

Special Activities, Awards, and Fees Due
We offer weekly motivational contests sponsored by each teacher, the Winter Recital and the annual Spring Recital with awards and memorization trophies, and our own annual Piano Fest in late Spring for all school-age students.

The annual registration fee of $35 for school-age students covers the cost of registration, recital fees, Music Fest fees, and a subscription to the Piano Explorer. The annual registration fee for adults is $15. Fees for optional events are collected separately.

Returned Checks
There is a $20.00 fee for all returned checks.

Missed Lessons
Each student has a reserved lesson time, and is responsible for that time. We regret that missed lessons cannot be made up except in cases of teacher absence or snow days. Lesson time cannot be extended due to late arrival. Please note that tuition is due regardless of missed lessons.

Thirty-Day Notice of Cancellation
If a student must discontinue lessons, a written, thirty-day notice is required. Payment is due during this thirty-day period whether or not lessons are taken.

Supplies
All instrumental students must have an instrument on which to practice regularly. An assignment notebook is provided at the first lesson. Bills for music will be sent by the teacher as necessary. Please pay for the music by the next lesson.

Practice Time
Students need a daily, non-interrupted time to practice. Time will vary according to teacher assignments and student levels.

Parental Involvement
Parental support is crucial to the success of each student. The assignment notebook is our means of weekly communication about expectations, assignments, scheduling reminders, and progress.

Keyboard Tuning and Maintenance
Piano Central Music Studios highly recommends Mr. S.T., an experienced, local piano tuner. Mr. T. can be reached at 288-2353. For questions about digital keyboards, please contact D. or C., owners of Piano Store, at 555-5555.

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 09:16:28 AM
Thanks amanfang and arensky.

Here's a site I found with several to choose from

https://www.toddfamily.com/policies/Policies/Policies.htm
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 02:40:50 AM
the points in H1 are good too, about the parent paying for supplementary items in addition to the lesson (such as theory cards, music, metronome, whatever).  most parents have no problem with this - but i distinctly remember the second or third time a girl came for lessons with me and brought nothing.  the method book i let her use was temporary until she bought her own.  so, i talked with the mom and said - 'let's go to the music store together and i'll help you pick out what she needs.'  well, we got there and she went off in a huff when she realized i meant that she buy the materials.  apparently she must have thought that i would buy everything.  that was my only bad experience and i could have misinterpreted it.  anyway, for the record - it doesn't hurt to explain things fairly precisely.  in fact, you might just tell them ahead of time - 'you need a decent piano.  you need a metronome along the way in the first year or so, you need some music, flashcards, a good piano lamp (very important for eyesight), occasional books, music dictionary.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 11:16:11 AM

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 07:13:31 AM

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 02:39:24 AM
I am going to need to update these and reword some stuff again, but here's what's written out at the time :

Studio Policies and Information

Piano study and playing skills are not isolated events within the lives of each individual.  Rather, the study of this art and craft is based on the qualities and life of each individual as an entire person, as well as the study of music as a whole.  In order to develop a true understanding of the repertoire for piano and how the instrument serves as a tool for this art, one must be educated in various areas of music and related fields. 

My 'Studio Curriculum' and the focus of my work with my students is based on the statements above and reflected within the "Areas of Study" as stated below.

Areas of Study
Posture awareness and anatomically correct technique, aiding in tension prevention and correction
Working knowledge of  modes, scales, chords and theoretical subjects
Improvisation
Transposition
Piece/Music analysis and efficient practice skills
Repertoire Study and Acquisition
Sightreading
Performance Practice
Memorization
Artistic Interpretation
Composition
Orchestration
Aural Skills ('Ear' Development)
Conducting
Accompanying/Ensemble Work
Music History

Studio Activity
Weekly, private lessons
Monthly Studio Classes
Bi-annual Student Recitals
Various events throughout the year

Studio Membership
Studio membership includes a specific time for private, individual attention and tuition with Ms. Fox, a spot in the monthly studio class, an invitation to perform in bi-annual recitals, a start up "kit", sheetmusic, recordings, and more.

Monthly Membership Fees
Regular membership fees are to be paid in full during the first week of every month, as payment for the month at hand.   

Monthly membership fees are the sole reservation for each student's spot in the studio. 

Monthly membership fees are calculated based on forty-four weeks over eleven months of private tuition during each year.   Of the forty-eight weeks within these 11 months, four weeks will be time dedicated solely to Ms. Fox's practice, study and research; there will not be private lessons held during these four weeks.  These four weeks do not effect regular, monthly membership fees and are held during the regular school year (noted below). 

Another four weeks during the Summer months will either be taken off or will be 'optional,' accounting for the twelfth month of the year, dates and times TBD, and these four weeks are billed separately.

Monthly membership fees during the regular eleven months of piano school do not change due to lessons missed by the student.

Small, additional fees should be expected in conjunction with bi-annual student recitals (normally $5).

Lesson Times

Lesson times are based on days of regular studio operation and are entirely subject to Ms. Fox's availability.  First preferences in reserving available time slots are given to those students who have been active in Ms. Fox's studio the longest. 

Four weeks without Private Instruction during the regular school year

November :      "Thanksgiving Break" the entire week of Thanksgiving (1 week)
Decemeber:     "Winter Break" as observed within the public schools (2 weeks)
March :         "Spring Break" as observed within the public schools (1 week)

Four weeks without/with optional Private Instruction during the Summer months
Dates and times will be determined solely by Ms. Fox and these will be billed separately.  These four weeks constitute the twelfth month of the calendar year.

Cancellations and Vacations/Taking time off

Cancelling a lesson
If there is a need to cancel a regular lesson, a courtesy of at least 24 hrs notice is requested. 

Vacations/Taking time off 
Students taking vacation during regular hours of studio operation are required to pay in full the regular monthly membership fee in order to continue reserving the student's studio membership.  Payment in full of the monthly membership fee is the only reservation for the student's membership and spot in Ms. Fox's studio.

In the event that a student leaves the studio without reserving the designated spot, the spot will not be reserved and there is no guarantee that any spot will be available upon the student's return.  In this case, the returning student will be placed on the bottom of the waiting list and/or re-enter the studio with the seniority of a brand new student at the time of return.

Cancelling Student's Membership 
A courtesy of thirty days notice is requested in order to cancel a student's membership without an accruition of additional fees.

Makeup lessons
There are no official makeup days nor times.  In the event that a lesson must be missed on a particular day by a particular student, that student may swap days/times with another student, upon their agreement, by directly contacting the student who's time slot is desired.  Ms. Fox requests a courtesy notice of at least 24 hours of this swap.

I ____________________ have read, understand, and agree to adhere to the policies as stated above. 

signature _________________________.

Ms. Fox's acceptance signature ____________________________.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

go12_3

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 05:48:16 PM
I think that the policy needs to be short and to the point.  I have revised my studio policy several times this past year, due to different situations that comes along.  I make a list of what is needful for parents to know.  The general information of fees,  missed/makeup lessons.  Then what is expected of the students and parents.  I inform the parents of the number of weeks of school and therefore, my fees cover the 5 month block for the Spring semester as well as the Fall semester which is the 4 month time block.  Summer can vary due to vacation times for the teacher and students.  I am so glad for my laptop to make the revisions when needed. 

Offline williamhhay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 07:15:14 PM
My studio policy can be downloaded from https://www.williamhay.co.uk/faq.pdf. I put it together a few months ago and it seems to be working well so far. I am considering increasing my prices though from September as they have been at the current rate now for two years.

Offline punkpianist360

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 05:15:21 PM
This is detailed:
https://www.kaublepianostudio.com/

What to include:
https://www.serve.com/marbeth/policy.html

Dude, to be honest, that's pretty tense, a little too tense, I'd be scared to even BREATHE during a lessons.
Inspire, be Inspired, and Aspire.

https://www.musicbymyles.com

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 06:40:52 PM

Dude, to be honest, that's pretty tense, a little too tense, I'd be scared to even BREATHE during a lessons.

Please~~ You must breathe !   ;)
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline ladybug10

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 04:42:19 PM
This is incredibly useful. Thanks to all.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 01:57:38 PM
One thing that might be added is that you should not use any photocopied material that is under copyright. Contacting students outside of school times also should not be condoned. These things need to also be in studio policy to cover their ass if a teacher decides to break the rules.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert