Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: saint-saens #2 concerto  (Read 2993 times)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
saint-saens #2 concerto
on: October 30, 2006, 07:06:44 PM
does anyone have the fingering for the second movement?  quite a few years ago i was attempting to finger this - and started using a pattern of lh and rh to pass through all the chording going up.  but some places are awkward now that i look at it.  what is a good fingering to keep the speed going?  i know i could sometime go to the library (an hour away) and look this one up - but just wondering if anyone has the first nine measures to get an idea of what to do? 

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Re: saint-saens #2 concerto
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 11:41:43 PM
Stephen hough allways used full chord with one hand, alterning hands. Other than that, just play the upper third with your RH and the lowest note with your LH, and the fingering should get quite naturally.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 12:53:52 AM
i'll try it both ways - again.  seems that the second way was harder many years ago - but now, maybe it will be the same or easier than alternating whole hand chords. 

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 01:13:17 AM
2nd and 3rd movements are really a pain in the A**

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 01:49:19 AM
here is a question that has bothered me for a long time. why this this concerto so popular, out of saint-saëns's 9 piano/orchestra works? i personally think his 3rd concerto and the africa fantasy much better than this one.
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 03:36:18 AM
here is a question that has bothered me for a long time. why this this concerto so popular, out of saint-saëns's 9 piano/orchestra works? i personally think his 3rd concerto and the africa fantasy much better than this one.

I love this one better !  ;D

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 10:56:54 PM

Shall I venture say that it is because Artur Rubinstein played this one a lot?  I personally like the 4th the best, but the 2d is a great concerto.  I have heard Rachmaninov used to say it was the best piano concerto, period.

The second movement is irresistible and towards the end those big bell chords are just what the doctor ordered.

....mmm, you make me want to learn it!
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 11:08:54 PM
Shall I venture say that it is because Artur Rubinstein played this one a lot?
yeah, you are indeed right. had he played another one of his concertos, do you think that one woulda become popular?
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 11:35:55 PM
didn't mean to start an argument over it's 'quality.'  merely, a question of fingering.  my own most recent teacher considered saint-saens a 'figurist' - rolling up and down in arpeggios as though he had nothing better to do.  but, for me - it is light and pleasing and doesn't take a thousand years to learn.  of course, a few mozart and beethoven concertos would do.  but, next on the list is leroy anderson's. 

what i happen to like about saint-saens and poulenc is the 'open and spacious' feeling that one gets when listening.  it does remind you of a certain music history and connectness with ancient past as well as present and future.  it's starry music.  interesting harmonies that are so open. 

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 03:44:40 PM
yeah, you are indeed right. had he played another one of his concertos, do you think that one woulda become popular?

Absolutely.  He even put in the repertoire such obscure pieces like the Franck Symphonic Variations and the likes of Albeniz, Villalobos and Poulenc.  He had the Midas touch, IMO.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline poltergeist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 07:44:40 AM
mmmm I loooooove this concerto-just learned the 1st movement myself (but have no plans to finish it at this time).  He and I must have had similar hand structures cuz he fits like a glove, esp. the sweeping arps. 

i love SS and it seems like I see him put down on the forums kinda a bit, like not taken seriously or something and I can't understand that.  i think he's just magnificent.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 12:46:58 PM
glad that someone else agrees.  i really enjoyed playing saint-saens 'allegro appassionata' quite a few years ago - and it was a good addition to playing things of liszt.  saint-saens was my 'substitute chopin' at the time.  now, i like to play a bit of chopin, too.  there's really no comparision - as they are both unique composers.  i think saint-saens and faure are some of the most beautiful composers of the 20th century carryover of romantic music.  faure's theme and variations is also very mysterious and beautiful.

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 09:20:54 PM

The Presto movement has evergreen written all over it (more then anything else in his pianoconcerts).

It sounds great even as a midifile

The rest of the concert is not so good unfortunately
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert