Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: chord extensions -- everything up to the top?  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
chord extensions -- everything up to the top?
on: February 05, 2007, 05:18:26 PM
If you've got a 13th chord, does that mean it automatically includes the notes leading up to that -- the 9th, the 11th, etc.?

I'm thinking in terms of a 7th chord with extension. 

If it didn't, then it would be some sort of added 6 chord, if it was a 13th...
If it was only adding the 11th or 9th, that might be some type of suspension...

I've always thought if it was an extended chord, it included the tones below it.  If 13th, then that includes 9 and 11.  But then I read something that mentions you can just add those upper tones by themselves.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline coca cola veins

• PS Silver Member
Re: chord extensions -- everything up to the top?
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:22:56 PM
Just as you wrote, if the extended chord don't include the notes "below" it (like the 7th and 9th in a 11th) it becomes an 'add' chord (Cadd9 = CDEG, Cadd11 = CEFG, etc). However, an added 13th just turns it into a 6th chord.

Offline earl

• PS Silver Member
Re: chord extensions -- everything up to the top?
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:39:09 PM
Hi Bob,

In my experience these extended chords beyond the 9th are only used in jazz or jazz oriented music. In pop music you may see a triad with an added 9th for example. In this case the 7th should not be added. Or you may see it for example: G9. This implies the 7th (in this case a dominent 7th chord with a 9th added.)

Jazz theory says that the 7th is always in a chord unless it is specifically a plain triad or one with an added 6th.

Therefore, a 9th, 11th, or 13th will always include a 7th. A 13th chord without the 7th is just a triad with an added 6th, so there is no reason to have two names for the same chord.

There are also chords with multiple extended notes and some of the extensions can be altered (that is raised or lowered). This allows for a fair amount of possible combinations.

Hope this helps.

Earl
Earl

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert