Piano Forum

The World of Piano Competitions – issue 1 2024
The World of Piano Competitions is a magazine initiated by PIANIST Magazine (Netherlands and Germany) and its Editor-in-Chief Eric Schoones. Here we get a rich insight into the world of international piano competitions through the eyes of its producers and participants. Read more >>

Topic: Grieg recommendations  (Read 7354 times)

Offline hodevold

• PS Silver Member
Grieg recommendations
on: February 22, 2007, 11:30:07 AM
I was wondering if someone could recommend some piano pieces by my countryman Edvard Grieg. I own just about all of his work, but I have no idea where to start. Im a jazzpianist, and my readingskills are not as good as they should be. I want to improve them, and since I love Grieg I want to play his work. Any ideas where to start?
Edvard Grieg:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline dnephi

Re: Grieg recommendations
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 03:46:51 PM
I recommend the Lyrische Stucke, Peters Edition.  That is a good large selection of pieces varying in difficulty.  As you get more advanced, the book might even be good for sightreading. 

Later on, you might try Grieg Op. 7 Sonata in E minor.  I don't quite like it so much, but it has a decent amount of popularity.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 04:27:18 PM
The Grieg Sonata is awesome, but definitely not a good starting point for his work.

I agree with the Lyric Pieces. the first set, Op.12, is the easiest overall, and a good place to begin.

Phil

Offline mattgreenecomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 01:47:58 AM
Oh ....you chose wisely my friend.  Funny you say you were Jazz pianist because alot of his voicings and stuff are the same as in Jazz.  I think you'll enjoy it.  you didn't say how skilled you were but I would definately go with the Lyric pieces.  (Get all of them)  they're all little Gems.
you might want to look at my music too.  mattgreenecomposer.com
Download free sheet music at mattgreenecomposer.com

Offline wotgoplunk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 04:07:57 PM
Grieg's Nocturne Op. 54, No. 4 would be good to do, albeit it is much more difficult than the Lyric Pieces. The Lyric Pieces are roughly Gr. 5 RCM, The Nocturne is Gr. 9. Seeing as you are a jazz pianist, the syncopation shouldn't be a problem.
Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore I am a waffle.

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 04:20:06 PM
-
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 04:22:03 PM
Really? I didn't find the Nocturne all that hard (and btw, it is one of the Lyric Pieces)

It's harder than many of the other Lyric Pieces, but according to the Pianostreet music, it's Grade 5. It's by no means the hardest Lyric Piece, so I strongly recommend it too.

If you want a truly harder one, try Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, Op.65 No.6.

Some other really good ones, varying in difficulty:

Arietta, Op.12 No.1
Norwegian Melody Op.12 No.6
Berceuse, Op.38 No.1
Elegy, Op.38 No.6
Canon Op.38 No.8
Butterfly, Op.43 No.1
To the Spring, Op.43 No.6
Norwegian March, Op.54 No.2
Vanished Days Op.57 No.1
She Dances, Op.57 No.5
Sylph Op.62 No.1
Brooklet Op.62 No.4
Ballad Op.65 No.5
Once Upon A Time, Op.71 No.1
Peace of the Woods, Op.71 No.4
Remembrances, Op.71 No.6

That should get you started.  :)

Phil

Offline wotgoplunk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 04:27:51 PM
Really? I didn't find the Nocturne all that hard (and btw, it is one of the Lyric Pieces)

Sorry, I meant the Op. 12 Lyric Pieces. It isn't as hard as they have it (the Nocturne) graded (RCM), but compared to Op.12, it's more difficult.
Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore I am a waffle.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert