Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2017, 04:46:48 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Piano Masterclass with Oscar Wilde and Dr. House

A humorous “Piano Masterclass” sketch from 1988 featuring the successful English comedy double act, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paraphrasing a random Schumann quote -  (Read 3806 times)
opus10no2
PS Silver Member

« on: May 22, 2007, 01:59:01 AM »

'The eyes should hear and the ears should see'

Meaning, when a learned musician sees a score, he hears the music from his inner ear. Also when he imagines music in his head, he should readily be able to imagine the image of the score.

This ability, along with a couple other things(obviously co-ordination..), most notably- great *flexible* experience with many pianistic figurations, is the key to great sightreading.
Also it's the key to starting as a composer too.

I personally think the printed score is a wonderful invention, and for all it's restrictions, it allows for a kind of mapping out, a canvas of sound, and even the greatest of ears are aided by the eyes of a musical architect.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
pianistimo
PS Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 02:12:33 AM »

i like that quote.

what do you think one can do to increase their ability to 'see with their ears?'  listen to a lot of other pianists?  or, do they imagine sound away from the keyboard just like most pianists do 'memorizing notes.'  i usually do this whenever i see a score - but when i am away from the score - i start thinking about sections.  rarely, if ever, do i go through the entire piece in my head - really relaxed - imagining it as i would like it to be entirely through.

perhaps a mistake of students is too much sectioning?  after a while - you come to expect section one to end and section two to start.

opus10no2
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 04:30:31 AM »

It comes with time from experience with sight-reading, working with scores in general, and having a sharper perception of pitch and rhythm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: