Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: schumann kinderscenen  (Read 6547 times)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
schumann kinderscenen
on: August 16, 2007, 08:09:25 PM
of foreign lands and people. 

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Re: schumann kinderscenen
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:13:17 PM
is this to make up for your schubert recording? if so you owe us something else.

nice performance btw
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline pet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:41:29 PM
Very well played pianistimo!  You haven't posted a recording in a while!  I was starting to get worried....lol

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 12:03:08 AM
sorry to worry you  ;)  here.  i'll play the next one.  this might be a smooth transition back into my other pieces?  i use mozart this way, too.  basically for getting it technically together before i try a chopin etude or something.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 12:21:53 AM
Nice!  :)

Teresa

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 12:39:32 AM
thanks, theresa!  i enjoy these because they ARE simple and there's no shame in playing simple things once in a while.  (i hope)  anyways - am enjoying playing these - as i don't recall learning them in my youth.  i stuck with these method books for some of my youth - and then went right into bach preludes and fugues (which i also love - but are not learned in a day).  i have maybe 4 -5 preludes - but should attempt some kind of comeback on those too.

here's 'a curious story.'

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 12:53:28 AM
This one is lovely, too--It sounds a little stiff in the first theme, although you smooth it out nicely in the legato passages.  Maybe a bit more rubato and looseness in the beginning? 

I warm up with Mozart many times, or sometimes Bach preludes (the fugues I forget how to play the second I quite practicing them--frustrating!)

Teresa

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 12:59:07 AM
catch me

thanks for the tips on 'a curious story.'  i appreciate them.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 01:09:49 AM
pleading child

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 01:29:07 AM
perfect happiness (it's not perfect - but it's sort of there)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 01:38:15 AM
an important event

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 02:03:43 AM
reverie

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 12:56:13 PM
great schumann pianistimo. definatly no harm in posting simple things especially when played well. maybe once you finish your chopin fantasy you could do one of schumann's larger works like davidsbundlertanze or phantasiestucke for examples.
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 04:30:40 PM
Hi pianistimo,

I just listened to Important Event, as I played that piece when I was maybe 11 or 12.  It brought back memories.  Nice job!   I think our interpretations were different though.  Yours focuses more objectively on dignified pomp and circumstance, perhaps a sedate royal procession.  I recall as a youngster taking it at a faster tempo and creating more of a sense of the jubilant excitement of being there.  After hearing your rendition, I think both approaches can work equally well.

On posting smaller works, don't be bashful.  The character piece has been my lifelong favorite form, and I'm sure many others probably feel the same way.  Also it was Wilhelm Backhaus who once said that one need not pick oak trees to create a very nice bouquet. 

I've been working on some things, one of them a Grieg lyric piece.  You've motivated me to record and post it here, probably next week.  Grieg was a master of the character piece, as you know, and is barely represented on this forum, unfortunately, as most attention tends to be focused on larger forms at the advanced level.  So many gems get overlooked.   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 04:56:45 PM
thanks for all the replies.  imbetter, yes - i would like to try the suggested pieces you mentioned of schumann's.  and - i would definately like to hear some grieg from you rachfan.  i enjoy just diddling sometimes - and yet - i know i can do some bigger works.  it seems like life's hassles sometimes create havoc in the mind.  some days - i feel completely at peace and can play pieces like these- and other days i'm too messed up.  you have to be somewhat calm and collected. 

i tried to forget the stock market when i recorded this piece.  'at the fireside.'  it's not perfect - but reminds me of sitting by a fire and reading a book.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 10:57:24 PM
Seems like I look at the stock market six or eight times a day.  I slap myself, but do it anyway!   :D
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 10:03:14 PM
the knight of the hobby horse.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 10:06:45 PM
or:
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert