Piano Forum

Topic: Haydn Sonata in D  (Read 6408 times)

Offline chopinfan_22

• PS Silver Member
Haydn Sonata in D
on: October 26, 2007, 12:40:17 AM
Does anybody know the difficulty of the first movement of this piece? I think the Hob number is like... 37 or 39 or something. It's the more recognizable of his sonatas. I'm considering learning it if it's not too difficult for me. Your thoughts?
"When I look around me, I must sigh, for what I see is contrary to my religion and I must despize the world which does not know that music is a higher revelation beyond all wisdom and philosophy."

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haydn Sonata in D
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:18:00 AM
38 you mean? https://www.piano.ru/scores/haydn/son/ha-son-38.pdf

it's not that difficult, its a grade 10 rcm piece.

well what's your current rep?
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 08:26:30 AM
Does anybody know the difficulty of the first movement of this piece? I think the Hob number is like... 37 or 39 or something. It's the more recognizable of his sonatas. I'm considering learning it if it's not too difficult for me. Your thoughts?

amelia is right - it is gr. 10 RCM - and, I might add, is one of the easier selections. I don't know what your current repertoire is, but most of Haydn is sight-readable - so I think you should go for it!
Asked if he had ever conducted any Stockhausen,Sir Thomas Beecham replied, "No, but I once trod in some."

Offline chopinfan_22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 02:28:52 PM
Actually, it's this one.

And my current repertoire consists of:

Chopin Preludes Nos. 6, 7, and 15
Mozart Sonata K.545 First Movement
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata First Movement

I realize that this piece is slightly more difficult than my previous repertoire, but I really want to learn it.
"When I look around me, I must sigh, for what I see is contrary to my religion and I must despize the world which does not know that music is a higher revelation beyond all wisdom and philosophy."

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 06:04:23 PM
umm...why don't you learn another sonata or 2 before that one. I've learnt it before you you need stable technique, it has alot of fast runs etc. You should learn Bach too.
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline chopinfan_22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 01:16:20 PM
What Bach would you recommend? I'll be getting a teacher in January through the university I go to. She can't take me in now because she's so busy with this semester. All we've got are November, when they have auditions all month, then our finals in December.

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 05:42:16 PM
perhaps you would like to try learning a few of his inventions as well as a few little preludes and fugues that you learn before going into his actual preludes and fugues from the well-tempered clavier. can't really reccomend any of those as I only self-learnt a couple before last time.

you can check those out at this website

https://www.piano.ru/library-e.html

Offline chopinfan_22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 09:22:26 PM
I had a feeling you were going to suggest those. The first six of his inventions are at the same difficulty level as Mozart's Sonata K.545. I suppose I could learn the other two movements of that Sonata, so that I would know the entire piece. Do you have any other suggestions for pieces of this level by any other composers?

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 10:20:40 PM
you could try Haydn's Sonata in F major, yes do learn the other 2 movements. You could also learn a few selections from Schumann's Album for the young, a few of the easier pieces from mendelssohn's song with words.

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 01:18:19 AM
Actually, it's this one.

And my current repertoire consists of:

Chopin Preludes Nos. 6, 7, and 15
Mozart Sonata K.545 First Movement
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata First Movement

I realize that this piece is slightly more difficult than my previous repertoire, but I really want to learn it.

Ah yes!!  The people in the prep department call that one the "Chicken Sonata."  Isn't that hilarious?  I does sort of sound like a chicken clucking and running around, I think.  Kids play that all the time, it's not hard.

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 02:24:56 AM
i'm pretty sure no.23 in F major would be more managable for you. anyway too many play that D major sonata

Offline chopinfan_22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 04:09:01 PM
That may be true, but that's my favorite Haydn Sonata, and that's also why I want to learn it. Though I haven't been exposed to much of any Haydn as of yet, so I guess that makes my opinion biased. I want to learn it because I like it. The same goes for the Moonlight Sonata, or Fantasie Impromptu.

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 04:30:47 PM
listen to the rest of the Haydn Sonatas then  ;)

Offline chopinfan_22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 12:42:20 PM
If I wanted to learn a Beethoven Sonata or two, which ones would you suggest?

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 03:22:51 AM
op.49 no.1 and 2

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 05:56:53 AM
If I wanted to learn a Beethoven Sonata or two, which ones would you suggest?
You might try Beethoven's Op. 79 as well...
Asked if he had ever conducted any Stockhausen,Sir Thomas Beecham replied, "No, but I once trod in some."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert