Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Debussy- Les tierces alternées  (Read 10910 times)

Offline thorn

• PS Silver Member
Debussy- Les tierces alternées
on: May 21, 2008, 10:20:15 PM
In a few weeks I am doing a concert of the Debussy Préludes, and I find this one pretty difficult to talk about in terms of keeping audience interest; like they've heard all but one of the others all of which have had something to grab their imagination and then you have this.

The only thing I can think of to say is along the lines of it anticipating the Etudes, but that won't mean much to a non musical audience, who may or may not even understand what a third is.

Help anyone?

Offline dnephi

Re: Debussy- Les tierces alternées
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 06:58:49 AM
There's a great color contrast if you have the faster sections very separated and without pedal and the slower sections more blurred, but what I think really sells it is just raw virtuosity. 

Daniel
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert