Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninov - Prelude Op. 3 No. 2  (Read 5105 times)

Offline rv

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninov - Prelude Op. 3 No. 2
on: August 31, 2008, 12:49:56 PM
Hello, here's my recording of the famous prelude.

Recorded from a digital piano Roland hp-201.
Background: Started playing the piano and taking lessons since september last year. At a younger age I had keyboard/synthesizer lessons for 7 years.

Comments welcome. Considering my limited piano experience you can imagine this was kind of a big project for me. Maybe it was too soon for a piece like this. But I'm still happy that I tried. You be the judge and thanks for listening! :)

Offline vilius

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninov - Prelude Op. 3 No. 2
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:28:33 PM
This was great! Considering that you've only had piano lessons for a year, I was expecting something much much worse, but this was very good, controlled, clean and without any mistakes! Thumbs up!

On the critisism side, I found your agitato part somewhat lacking of agitato. When the melody gets into the higher register it almost sounds beautifull and soothing for a couple seconds, which I don't think should be a case here (seeing how it is marked "agitato"). Also at the end of this part, where it says "cresc", you play more of a "decresc". I think this crescendo is really improtant, since it builds up to the thunderstorm (the fast chords going downwards).

Also I'm used to hearing this piece in a slightly faster tempo, but your tempo works too, except maybe in the end, which could be even more crushing/chaotic/earthquaky with a faster tempo. I also like how you play faster in the bars where the octaves stop and there are only chords (for example bars 7-8 and 11), wether you did it intentionally or not :) I think it's neccessary if you want to keep the slower tempo.

All in all, really great work, and if you agree with me, you can try out some of my suggestions.

Offline rv

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 03:09:35 PM
This was great! Considering that you've only had piano lessons for a year, I was expecting something much much worse, but this was very good, controlled, clean and without any mistakes! Thumbs up!

On the critisism side, I found your agitato part somewhat lacking of agitato. When the melody gets into the higher register it almost sounds beautifull and soothing for a couple seconds, which I don't think should be a case here (seeing how it is marked "agitato"). Also at the end of this part, where it says "cresc", you play more of a "decresc". I think this crescendo is really improtant, since it builds up to the thunderstorm (the fast chords going downwards).

Also I'm used to hearing this piece in a slightly faster tempo, but your tempo works too, except maybe in the end, which could be even more crushing/chaotic/earthquaky with a faster tempo. I also like how you play faster in the bars where the octaves stop and there are only chords (for example bars 7-8 and 11), wether you did it intentionally or not :) I think it's neccessary if you want to keep the slower tempo.

All in all, really great work, and if you agree with me, you can try out some of my suggestions.

Thank you. I agree about the agitato. I think my technique is lacking a bit to play it like that. And you're right about the crescendo. Good suggestion. I found that part and the downward chords the most difficult. Got a little cautious there and made some little mistakes. Tempo is personal preference I guess. I think I could start slower and softer even. At least the first octaves and chords.
Thanks a lot for listening and commenting!

Offline rv

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 02:05:03 PM
Any feedback from others who listened?  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert