Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Debussy Toccata  (Read 4955 times)

Offline akonow

• PS Silver Member
Debussy Toccata
on: September 05, 2008, 03:16:13 AM
Is this toccata from Pour le Piano significantly more difficult than the prelude (I think this because it is called Toccata and doesn't look like the easiest piece of the Pour le Piano suite for sure)? I would really like to learn an impressionist suite and I like all three pieces from Pour le Piano the most so basically help me please. ;D

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debussy Toccata
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 03:45:24 AM
I played the Prelude many, many years ago and just recently thought about learning the rest of the suite. After reading through the Toccata I decided to wait awhile. It is signicantly more difficult than the Prelude.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 04:46:15 PM
Funny because I just looked through this the other day out of interest.  I'm looking for a possible Debussy piece (or suite) to learn for a competition in April.  I was thinking of the entire Pour le Piano Suite.  I've played the Prelude before just on the side, and it wasn't too bad.  The Toccata from what I've heard doesn't have alot of pedal.  When I tried it there were a few parts where both hands sweep up in 16ths; found that pretty damn tough to play at the speed required.  There's nothing terribly difficult, just a lot of head scratching parts that you gotta sit with for a bit :D
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline akonow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:22:22 PM
Funny because I just looked through this the other day out of interest.  I'm looking for a possible Debussy piece (or suite) to learn for a competition in April.  I was thinking of the entire Pour le Piano Suite.  I've played the Prelude before just on the side, and it wasn't too bad.  The Toccata from what I've heard doesn't have alot of pedal.  When I tried it there were a few parts where both hands sweep up in 16ths; found that pretty damn tough to play at the speed required.  There's nothing terribly difficult, just a lot of head scratching parts that you gotta sit with for a bit :D
Well it might be easy for you but what other pieces are you playing? :D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert