Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: How are you doing right now ?  (Read 47394 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: How are you doing right now ?
Reply #650 on: December 20, 2011, 11:43:48 PM
There is no good solution.  They're just not supposed to be there, in the house.  Even if you capture them alive and transport them away, you're still stranding them out in the middle of nowhere.  Who's to say they're getting food?  Plucked up one day while they're quietly minding their own business, dreaming about having thousands of children one day themselves.... Trapped!  And dropped off far away from their hundreds of siblings they once knew (and ate, some of them at least, because they were bigger and they were hungry).  They're out there, alone, wandering, scared, possibly literally freezing to death as they starve....

You could take take them in as pets, find them a home in a zoo... Or I suppose take them to vet and pay to have them euthanized.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline pianobilliam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #651 on: December 21, 2011, 01:27:52 AM
I am fine. I just found this forum which I am currently posting on, hence the comment you are currently reading. Since I am excited for this new forum experience, I am doing very well, thanks for asking.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #652 on: December 21, 2011, 06:41:02 PM
I'm on your same wave-length, Littletune, believe me!  In fact, that picture of the toad eating the mouse was a bit sad.  But at least that's nature - we just don't have to look at it.  I know that what I'm doing is a cruel thing.  But it was either that or the glue paper where they don't even die and YOU have to finish them off.  Maybe that's even more humane, though.  But I just don't know what to do!  I've been trying with this ecological trap thing for a month now, and he (or THEY, I fear) just doesn't go anywhere near it.  And when I found micro-turds in my piano I knew that there was no choice.  Because if they begin to proliferate, OMG I don't even want to think about it.  I know!  I already feel awful - and now YOU have to load it on me!  :(
Candlelight: "the way of the mouse trap" was only a euphanism.  Like, yeah, we all have to go sooner or later - and it's not always the sweet way.

Well... sorry... I just had to say it....  :-\ And I know you're really a good person Birba! I mean I would expect that from most other people anyway... but I know you're not like that. And I know that it must be annoying and even scary if you have a lot of mice and rats in the house... I just think people should think of something better to do about it.... I mean aren't humans supposed to be all smart.... if they really wanted to they could think of something better! But it's just that people don't care enough because they're like Bob and they think mice and rats are just pests and it doesn't matter how you kill them, you just have to kill them all. I think that's just a bad way of thinking... because people can really quickly start thinking that way about other people too.... if someone is not the way you would like them to be or you don't want them around then you should just destroy them all, right? And that's just bad and wrong!
And I know I know it must be bad if you have a house full of mice and rats...  :-\ I know...  :( But I am sure that if people cared enough they could think of something better to keep them away! I mean aren't there some sounds or smells that don't bother people but they bother animals? I mean we have this spray to make dogs go away or cats... couldn't there be something like that for mice and rats too? or some kinds of really high sound? Or just something you gave them so they couldn't have babies anymore....  :-\ or just build better houses? I don't know...
I don't want you to feel all sad Birba! I hope everything will just be the way it has to be... (and I really hope your Jackie can't get to the poison!!... or to the dead mice... so she wouldn't get poisoned too!!!  :( )

Oh Bob no of course you weren't joking! Those were all serious scientific articles! specially that one with a mouse coming out of the piano direclty onto the keyborad while someone is playing the piano!! Yes I am sure that was a real documentary and the comment that you made about mouse guts all over the piano that was sooooo serious and scientific!!!  ::)  ::)  ::)
You should have thought about that those pictures and comments might be disturbing to some people!!!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #653 on: December 21, 2011, 07:18:04 PM
Yes, you have to transport them something like at least 7 miles away.  One time we had mice, we were catching them "by hand" (well, with an oven mitt on, and actually those oven mitts look like frogs, so ...  :-\) - then we started using live traps ... then  :-X ... but anyway, we seriously had like 30 or more.  Supposedly if you see one, there's lots more.  Who knows how many we have at the time and they are mice and rats, too ... it's actually not that great and I am pretty sure they're not all that concerned for our well-being  :-\.

They certainly aren't. To care for the well-being of other beings (beyond of basic instincts) is in principle human, not animalistic behaviour. There are some species who do care, but I don't really think mice belong to those.
However, I just wanted to say that I think poison is not really a solution because it will inevitably poison other animals, and after all also humans, of course, as it inevitably will get into the food chain.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #654 on: December 21, 2011, 09:23:10 PM
They certainly aren't. To care for the well-being of other beings (beyond of basic instincts) is in principle human, not animalistic behaviour. There are some species who do care, but I don't really think mice belong to those.

Yes and a lot of people only pretend to care but really they only care about themselves... and sometimes animals do care... maybe not in the same way as humans but sometimes they just know what to do to help others... but of course the animals that are wild and have to fight every day to survive can't really care much for others because if they did they wouldn't survive. Cause that's just a sad and stupid way this world works  :-\ I'm always trying to imagine if the world, I mean living beings could evolve in some other way... that they wouldn't be competing with eachother to survive, but rather helping each other to survive... but I don't know if that was possible...  :-\

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #655 on: December 22, 2011, 01:18:03 AM
Yes and a lot of people only pretend to care but really they only care about themselves... and sometimes animals do care... maybe not in the same way as humans but sometimes they just know what to do to help others... but of course the animals that are wild and have to fight every day to survive can't really care much for others because if they did they wouldn't survive. Cause that's just a sad and stupid way this world works  :- I'm always trying to imagine if the world, I mean living beings could evolve in some other way... that they wouldn't be competing with eachother to survive, but rather helping each other to survive... but I don't know if that was possible...  :-

People do pretend things, it seems.  But, Littletune, how would you feel if mice and rats were living inside your piano and actually eating it?  And you try gentle traps and such, and they not only don't stop, but there gets more and more and you can actually hear them just constantly gnawing on it and there is saw dust laying on the floor and it starts to stink and have rat/mice poops and pees and start to fall apart and not work?  Do you just give it to them as a home?  It's really easy to think you feel something and/or believe something until it's actually happening to you ... that tends to make things a bit different. 
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #656 on: December 22, 2011, 02:33:55 AM
Well... sorry... I just had to say it....  :-\ And I know you're really a good person Birba! I mean I would expect that from most other people anyway... but I know you're not like that. And I know that it must be annoying and even scary if you have a lot of mice and rats in the house... I just think people should think of something better to do about it.... I mean aren't humans supposed to be all smart.... if they really wanted to they could think of something better! But it's just that people don't care enough because they're like Bob and they think mice and rats are just pests and it doesn't matter how you kill them, you just have to kill them all. I think that's just a bad way of thinking... because people can really quickly start thinking that way about other people too.... if someone is not the way you would like them to be or you don't want them around then you should just destroy them all, right? And that's just bad and wrong!
And I know I know it must be bad if you have a house full of mice and rats...  :-\ I know...  :( But I am sure that if people cared enough they could think of something better to keep them away! I mean aren't there some sounds or smells that don't bother people but they bother animals? I mean we have this spray to make dogs go away or cats... couldn't there be something like that for mice and rats too? or some kinds of really high sound? Or just something you gave them so they couldn't have babies anymore....  :-\ or just build better houses? I don't know...
I don't want you to feel all sad Birba! I hope everything will just be the way it has to be... (and I really hope your Jackie can't get to the poison!!... or to the dead mice... so she wouldn't get poisoned too!!!  :( )

Oh Bob no of course you weren't joking! Those were all serious scientific articles! specially that one with a mouse coming out of the piano direclty onto the keyborad while someone is playing the piano!! Yes I am sure that was a real documentary and the comment that you made about mouse guts all over the piano that was sooooo serious and scientific!!!  ::)  ::)  ::)
You should have thought about that those pictures and comments might be disturbing to some people!!!

I agree with you, LittleTune. Birba is a good, kind, generous person. He did try his best to be kind. I wonder if he could get a couple of cats. I know he used to have one. There are ultrasonic mouse deterrents out there and we used them when we had mice in our house but unfortunately, they didn't work.  The best solution is to have a cat. You'll also be giving a homeless cat a loving home so everyone is happy. Is Jackie Birba's dog?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #657 on: December 22, 2011, 09:28:05 AM
I think what scared me was the fact that there IS more than topo-gigio.  I think he's already started a family.  I've actually only seen one at a time and I just assumed it was the same one.  But when I began to see micro-turds under the kitchen sink, under the staircase, upstairs in my drawers, in the fireplace, etc.  I knew that my hunting him down with the one ecological trap, and to NO avail, wasn't getting anywhere.  The fact is, I've always had cats in the house, ergo: no problem.  For the last year I've only had Jackie, the so-called mouse dog they use on the english farms, and I think she feels sorry for them, too, because she only points them out and doesn't go after them.  Or they're too fast for her.  So I've gone against all my principles and declared war on them.  So far, I've seen they've nibbled at the bait.  Now why couldn't they have nibbled at the innocuous bait in the trap?!  
I'm leaving for 3 months next week and the house is going to be completely topo-gigio free when I come back.  Then I'm adopting a cat.  >:(

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #658 on: December 22, 2011, 04:55:23 PM
Topo-gigio, your mouse. Does that mean something, Birba? Is it Italian for something? It's very cute. Happy to hear that you're going to adopt a cat when you return, though a tad sad for topo-gigio and company  :(

I know I'm off subject but I just wanted to let you know that the exercises you gave me have worked wonders! I'm now able to play the off beat part pretty well (I think). And I enjoy practicing now, much more than before. I think that I was so tense before that practice hurt. But now it's fun and getting through this new passage is exhilarating! I feel like a new person. Thanks a million!

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #659 on: December 22, 2011, 05:18:01 PM
People do pretend things, it seems.  But, Littletune, how would you feel if mice and rats were living inside your piano and actually eating it?  And you try gentle traps and such, and they not only don't stop, but there gets more and more and you can actually hear them just constantly gnawing on it and there is saw dust laying on the floor and it starts to stink and have rat/mice poops and pees and start to fall apart and not work?  Do you just give it to them as a home?  It's really easy to think you feel something and/or believe something until it's actually happening to you ... that tends to make things a bit different. 

Yes I know. I said I understand it must be bad. I just really wish people invented something better to keep rats and mice away!! and that they wouldn't just think oh they're just pests who cares how we kill them and how much they suffer before they die...  :(  :(

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #660 on: December 22, 2011, 05:46:33 PM
well actually I feel really bad now!  :(  :'( And I should be happy cause I have HOLIDAYS!!!! finally!!! but I feel sooo bad..... I'm a bad person!  :'( Today when I was going to my piano lesson and I was waiting for a bus there was this homeless guy standing there (well at least he looked homeless, like not very clean and with all rotting teeth) and then he started asking people if they would give him their mobile phone to call someone... and noone wanted to... and I went as far away as I could cause I didn't want him to ask me too... but it didn't help and he came to me and started asking me if I would give him my phone so he could call some people who were supposed to come any moment with a car to pick him up, but he just wanted to ask them where they were... and I didn't know what to do  :-\ cause I didn't really want to give him my phone but I didn't want to be mean like other people. So after awhile I started to get my phone but then there were these two older people standing really close listening and watching all the time and when I wanted to get my phone the lady started saying: no no no, you shouldn't do that! and then I didn't know what to do again!  :( And then he was asking me what school I go to, I think he was just trying to be nice... and then he asked me if I was afraid of him, and I said no I just don't know why it's so urgent to call them if they are coming soon anyway... I just wanted him to tell me why it was so important  :-\ and if he said: well they were supposed to come a long time ago or I just want to check if I'm waiting at the right place or I'm really cold and I want to see if I have time to go somewhere where it's warmer.... then I would give him my phone... but he didn't (i mean i guess he's not really used to explaining to people how he feels)... but i just wanted him to tell me why he needed the phone so bad and i would give it to him.... but then he just went away and before he went he looked really sad  :'( like he was going to start crying  :'( and he still said bye when he went away but I couldn't cause I was so sad. And that lady was saying I did the right thing and that I was smart not to give him the phone but I felt like crying... and I still do... and then when I went back from my piano lesson I went to that bus stop to see if he was maybe still there (even though it was more than an hour since then) and then I made like three circles around there an went through different streets around there and I went by the place where there are usually a lot of homeless people but I didn't see him anywhere. And I know he will survive without my phone but what's really bad is that he now thinks noone cares about him and that noone wants to help him.  :'(
And I don't know why I didn't think of saying that I would call those people and say that this and this person wanted to know where they were or I could even put my phone on loud speaker and he could talk to them while I was holding the phone... but I just didn't think of that then  :( I'm sooo sorry! :(

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #661 on: December 22, 2011, 06:53:58 PM
Well, you don't need to feel sorry at all!!
I am happy that your intuition showed you the right way to react.
Unfortunately not everybody is honest and compassionate like you are. Not everybody in this world is okay! You will have to learn it sooner or later. I guess now you are learning it the soft way, because you are intelligent. I hope you'll never get into the situation of needing to learn it the hard way.
Love works only if both parts do their job.
If a certain person only draws on the generosity of the other, or even attacks you in some way, it's time to close yourself up, and defend yourself, if necessary with all means, as soon as possible.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #662 on: December 22, 2011, 07:24:33 PM
Just one more thought: today I had a lesson with one of my students who is 10. She got attacked by an elder student (an 8th grader) in her schoolyard, with a snowball that contained a stone!!!
I mean, please, for heaven's sake! This could as well have ended deadly for her, or with severe injuries!! So many people are NOT AT ALL okay! And it's important that people like those who attacked her are brought to justice, with all consequences, as soon as possible! Where'd we end up as humanity if everybody could get away with something like this!

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #663 on: December 22, 2011, 09:42:32 PM
Yeah. It's a tough world that we live in. I understand how you feel, LittleTune, about not helping this fellow but you never know what anyone's true intentions are when they come up to you. You have to be careful. There are a lot of nut cases out there.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #664 on: December 22, 2011, 10:08:01 PM
Littletune, I know EXACTLY how you feel.  BUT, you are a little girl and should definitely NOT give time and talk to these people.  More often then not, they are homeless and sad, but you never know.  I, on the other hand, should be ashamed of myself when these incidents come up.  It's like an automatic reaction to turn the other way, when instead, all you have to do is consider each situation separately and look at it anew.  There are times when a kind word or gesture means so much to the other person.  I'm always resolving to to do this.  but, unfortunately, it doesn't happen often... ???

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #665 on: December 22, 2011, 10:35:17 PM
Thanks Wolfi and Candlelightpiano and Birba! Wow these holidays started kinda weird!  :-\ I was expecting to be all happy cause the Christmas holidays finally started and I'm all sad because of the poor mice and cause of the poor homeless guy...
and then there's also that end of the world thing and my billion mistakes at my piano recital and probably at my math test too..... ohhhhhhhhhhh
well I'll just try not to think about all that cause I guess there's really nothing I can do about it  :( oh...  :-\

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #666 on: December 22, 2011, 10:44:30 PM
Thanks Wolfi and Candlelightpiano and Birba! Wow these holidays started kinda weird!  :-\ I was expecting to be all happy cause the Christmas holidays finally started and I'm all sad because of the poor mice and cause of the poor homeless guy...
and then there's also that end of the world thing and my billion mistakes at my piano recital and probably at my math test too..... ohhhhhhhhhhh
well I'll just try not to think about all that cause I guess there's really nothing I can do about it  :( oh...  :-\

Well, at the very least don't worry about the end of the world thing because it's blatant science fiction for people who have nothing better to worry about, and also don't worry about your mistakes at a recital, puleaaaze :) Pinky promise? Okay?  (I'm sure I'd be worse than you at the math test, I m so sure!  ;D ) Oh yeah!! :) Cheers! :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #667 on: December 22, 2011, 10:49:03 PM
Well, at the very least don't worry about the end of the world thing because it's blatant science fiction for people who have nothing better to worry about, and also don't worry about your mistakes at a recital, puleaaaze :) Pinky promise? Okay? Oh yeah!! :) Cheers! :)

Okay :)  :P thanks Wolfi... or Wolfek  :P  :P You made me smile!  8)  :)  :P

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #668 on: December 22, 2011, 10:51:17 PM
Okay :)  :P thanks Wolfi... or Wolfek  :P  :P You made me smile!  8)  :)  :P

I hope so :) You have made me smile like I don't know how many times! :)

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #669 on: December 23, 2011, 01:38:06 AM
LittleTune, I think they've been talking about the end of the world since I was born and that was a long time ago! As for recital mistakes, no one but you knew about them and even if others knew about them, so what? As for math exams, I sympathize but I'm sure you'll do much better than you think you will. I'm glad I don't have to take a math exam with you. I have a feeling you'll do better!

Yeah, I'm very sad about Birba's mice, too.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #670 on: December 23, 2011, 07:56:03 PM
I hope so :) You have made me smile like I don't know how many times! :)

Cool! 8)  :)

LittleTune, I think they've been talking about the end of the world since I was born and that was a long time ago! As for recital mistakes, no one but you knew about them and even if others knew about them, so what? As for math exams, I sympathize but I'm sure you'll do much better than you think you will. I'm glad I don't have to take a math exam with you. I have a feeling you'll do better!

Yeah, I'm very sad about Birba's mice, too.

Thanks! :) Maybe I'll post the recording, but I haven't really seen it... because my mum borrowed a camera at work (cause our camera runs out of battery right away) and now she doesn't know how to put it onto computer (she needs to download some program)... and anyway I'm not sure if I want to see it.  :P

Yes poor mice I wish there was some other way...  :-\

And I just wanted to say that I have no idea what I would do if there were mice in our house and in my piano... because I don't think I could kill them and of course I wouldn't want them destroying the house and piano! I would probably just go crazy and would have to go to a mental hospital anyway!  :-\

And I uderstand that people want to protect their home and their things and themselves, I mean they can't just let the rats and mice throw them out of their house! But this killing thing (specially in the way that they suffer before they die) is just REALLY REALLY disturbing to me.  :( I don't know I just can't take this things... that's just the way I am... and the way I have always been (ever since I can remember). It's not that I would think about it and decide to be this way so that I would look like all good or something. It's just that it REALLY hurts me!  :-\
I remember when I was 3 and we were on holidays in summer with my (a lot) older cousin and I thought he was sooo cool and I wanted to be just like him and do the things he did... and he really liked fishing (and we had that for food)... and I felt like I should like that too but I just felt soooo bad all the time... and I don't think I told anyone how bad it made me feel, except a year later he caught a fish that he said wasn't good for eating, and I got so happy and though he would throw it back, but he didn't (he said he would have it for a bait or something) and then I really couldn't take it anymore it just seemed so senseless and I just started crying so bad I couldn't even tell people why I was crying and noone knew why and then after awhile I told them somehow and then my aunt threw it back into the sea... but I didn't know if it was still alive  :-\ but I hope it was I don't think it was that long.
So that's why... I'm not just being annoying or trying to force people to feel like I do, but it just really hurts me.  :( and it's not so fun to be this way in a world where beings are hurting eachother all the time.  :-\ but oh well... I wouldn't want to be different than I am cause that's me but it's just not that easy a lot of times and I can't really explain this to people.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #671 on: December 23, 2011, 09:45:37 PM
I think it's important to realize that we can control only OUR OWN karma.  I know, in a way, I'm not doing the right thing with these mice.  I did try the other way, and I suppose I should insist on getting rid of them in the humane way, but this is MY karma.  Feeling sad or crying about a situation out of our control, only creates MORE bad feelings.  There's a way of accepting the injustice and evil surrounding us, without being complacent about it.  But you're still very young and I think your reaction is better than a "turning the other way" attitude.  So, with time, you're going to find the median way.
Am I making any sense?

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #672 on: December 23, 2011, 10:28:31 PM
I guess you're making sense... but I don't think I'll ever feel differently cause it's not something I think about but just something I feel  :-\ I kinda feel like an alien who is from a world where living beings help eachother and care for eachother and feel what others are feeling... and i'm in this world where beings usually don't care and help each other and don't feel what others are feeling at all...  :-\ so that makes it kinda difficult. But I'm not weak so I guess I can live with feeling this way...
I'll be ok  :)

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #673 on: December 24, 2011, 01:21:21 AM
A few years ago, we actually caught a mouse by just leaving some boxes of old, unwanted clothing around the house and putting food in them. In the morning, we put the cover over the boxes and took them out to the driveway. I think it was only a few mornings later that one little gray mouse tumbled out when we tipped the box out! I was so happy that we "caught" him that way. I'm sure Birba feels awful about this whole thing and I understand his predicament. And I understand your feelings, too, LittleTune. But he will be adopting a cat when he returns and hopefully, this won't happen again, so he is trying his best to be kind. We must try and look to the future and not keep dwelling on the past.

I wish both of you the very best for Christmas and the new year. Here's one of my favorite Christmas songs:

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #674 on: December 24, 2011, 03:58:41 AM
A few years ago, we actually caught a mouse by just leaving some boxes of old, unwanted clothing around the house and putting food in them. In the morning, we put the cover over the boxes and took them out to the driveway. I think it was only a few mornings later that one little gray mouse tumbled out when we tipped the box out! I was so happy that we "caught" him that way. I'm sure Birba feels awful about this whole thing and I understand his predicament. And I understand your feelings, too, LittleTune. But he will be adopting a cat when he returns so he is trying his best.

I wish both of you the very best for Christmas and the new year. Here's one of my favorite Christmas songs, even though it is white here:

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #675 on: December 24, 2011, 04:04:44 AM
Bummed out.  I'll be glad when it's January.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #676 on: December 24, 2011, 05:28:08 AM
Why? What's the matter, Bob?

Offline georgedepp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #677 on: December 26, 2011, 06:34:53 PM
I am starting  to ignore everything. Now a days I am a little frustrated, but also a little flattered. I have just broken up with a girl, and now another is following me and paying me compliments. It's strange.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #678 on: December 29, 2011, 09:50:17 PM
I just upgraded my iphone for .99 cents and that seems cool.  So far I can't get anything to work on it though ...  :-  and that is stupid.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline chopin1993

• PS Silver Member
Reply #679 on: December 30, 2011, 05:29:45 PM
I just got a new laptop from my parents!
So I'm very happy now, of course  ;D

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #680 on: December 30, 2011, 07:23:45 PM
phwew ... starting to feel like myself again today.  TONS to do, also the vocal competition is in two weeks ... eek ... and work starts up full swing next week.  BUT, I think I'm getting that motor back in gear and all geared up to take it on.

Not quite "bring it" just yet ... but close :).

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #681 on: January 04, 2012, 10:19:54 PM
I'm gonna get me all passionate up in yo' business!

Offline hastur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #682 on: January 05, 2012, 02:51:04 AM
I'm feeling pretty great! Apart from a few shaky details in my private life, that is. ;D But those have been around for a while now, and aren't looking like they want to get better any time soon, so I'm not worrying about them currently. ;D But I'm getting a visit from my sister tomorrow, and I also might be picking up my new digital piano! ;D
My current to-do list:
* Yann Tiersen
~ La Valse d'Amélie
* Beethoven
~ "Pathétique" II. Adagio
* Petzold
Menuet in G minor (BWV 115)
* Satie
- Gymnopédie No. 3

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #683 on: January 05, 2012, 06:06:17 AM
aaaaaaaaahhhhhh .... well, I don't know that I'm quite "relieved" but I am very thankful that I have finally sung through all of my 5 competition arias today (okay, not all the way through il est doux), for the first time and nearly everything is memorized (I've still got to study the Operas and scenes though, too ... but, that's this weekend).  A week and a half out.  Still quite a bit of work to do, but I think I'm on track to be where I'd like to be by this weekend, just in time to ever so slightly taper into the competition  :P.  My voice feels like it's changing again, and it's starting to feel *so* good to actually be getting it truly back into shape.  I made it through my Opera Scenes auditions and 5 week program this Fall, but I wouldn't say my voice was truly in shape at that point.  It's just starting to get there now, and it feels good and right, like that's how my life is supposed to feel.  My plan is to get myself in nice vocal shape, have/get a program worked up, and to get in the best piano shape of my life :).

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #684 on: January 05, 2012, 07:47:11 AM
What are the arias, what are the arias???  I want to know!!!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #685 on: January 05, 2012, 04:32:17 PM
What are the arias, what are the arias???  I want to know!!!

Italian:  Come Scoglio from Cosi fan Tutte by Mozart
            Porgi, Amor, qualche ristoro from The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart

French:  Il est doux, il est bon from Herodiade by Massenet

German:  Dich, theure Halle from Tannhauser by Wagner

English:  Embroidery Aria from Peter Grimes by Britten

I pick which one I'll start with, then they pick the second (or more).  I've got to be prepared to sing all of them.  I'm happy to be getting into shape vocally, but if I didn't have this pushing me, I know I wouldn't do it in the same way (even though I'd fantasize about having stuff ready).  It's a push getting these together as my German and English arias are completely new to me as of a few weeks ago ... heh ... and I'm relearning the French from a number of years ago ... and I'll have to replace the Italian probably in the next several months.  But, since it's standard to have 5 arias and for these languages to be represented, and since all 5 of them should ideally be in the same fach (these aren't, though, but it's close enough for the time-being) these are at least something I can work with for future projects, and can build upon.  

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #686 on: January 05, 2012, 08:34:18 PM
Escept for the dich teure halle they're pretty much in the same fach.  And actually, the aria by itself can be sung by any lyric soprano.  I'm not that familiar with the peter grimes aria, though.  I know what you mean about having goals to meet.  If we don't have them, we have to create them.  You have real deadlines to meet which is a good thing.  Gambatte kudasai!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #687 on: January 05, 2012, 08:44:23 PM
Escept for the dich teure halle they're pretty much in the same fach.  And actually, the aria by itself can be sung by any lyric soprano.  I'm not that familiar with the peter grimes aria, though.  I know what you mean about having goals to meet.  If we don't have them, we have to create them.  You have real deadlines to meet which is a good thing.  Gambatte kudasai!

Dich theure is considered dramatic and Wagner in general is not sung by lyrics because it's considered to be fairly heavy writing.  Porgi, amor (and the role of the countess in general) is considered more lyric territory (or "full" lyric) and even though Come Scoglio is considered "Dramatic coloratura" "full lyrics" also sing it, like Cecilia Bartolli and Renee Flemming.  Il est doux is dramatic and the Emboidery aria is considered spinto territory.  So, per the usual comment I get when I hand a repertoire list "well, it's a mixed bag" ... that precise thing, along with other related matters, are part of the reason I stepped back from singing for awhile (well, that as well as the fact that piano took first priority).  These days, I say, guess what folks, I've got to sing something, and this is what I've got!  Plus, I would think it would be somewhat understandable for growing voices who verge into dramatic territory ... you don't just start out as a spinto or a dramatic, you grow there.  haha ... I was an alto for a long time in choir ... sometimes singing the tenor part.  For awhile I was classified as a mezzo ... and then on and on.  When do I get to just sing, folks?  It's been this "thing" where, unless everything matches up, I'm not supposed to step into an audition because it will look as though I don't know what I'm doing.  But, what am I supposed to think when I'm being told a THOUSAND different things?  *insert time on my own*  And, how am I supposed to get from that point, to being some world-renowned opera star (as people indicate I *could* be if only I'd get off my lazy bum and actually do something with my life!  ::) :P (of course, not counting and besides all the thing I am actually doing and working very hard at)), when I don't even have audition arias to audition with?   *breaks the mold*

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #688 on: January 05, 2012, 09:02:28 PM
_@/

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #689 on: January 05, 2012, 09:16:50 PM
ending with the suggestion that I sing "Climb Every Mountain" as my English "aria" from The Sound of Music.  argh.  Seriously.  It seriously makes me want to cry.  But, oh well, now I've got that off my chest and I happen to have loads of vocal work to do in just this moment and for the next hours ... and I will sing whatever the h*** I've got.

Not that one! :P  Peace and strength. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #690 on: January 06, 2012, 12:23:06 AM
Not that one! :P

I know, right?  I'm not crazy for not wanting to walk into an (important-for-me-in-several-ways) competition/audition with that, right?  Aside from the fact that it's musical theater, and sure there may be some crossover between opera and musical theater these days, is it really going to do me any favors vocally and musically?  I really don't think so.  Anyway, part of that was over a sudden concern that I might not be able to learn the Embroidery Aria (which was an aria suggestion from somebody else) in that much time (this was on the second day, when the amount of time I'd have to learn this stuff (not even thinking about what else is going on in my life) must have hit).  Climb Every Mountain would be just as new for me with ZERO interest in the music on my part ... that actually makes a difference.  I've got the Embroidery Aria learned and I've watched the entire Opera (on YT - that was fun :)).  I need to practice performing it, though, in front of the video recorder.

Peace and strength. :)

I shouldn't have posted -or at least it shouldn't stay- that last post, so I've erased it.  I was just blowing off steam over something that had made me nearly want to explode ... and if I get to feeling that way, apparently it doesn't just go completely away on its own if it's over something that really matters to me.  

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #691 on: January 06, 2012, 07:54:40 AM
Yes, if the music doesn't move you, how can you sing your best?  I wonder if Wolfi knows Climb Every Mountain? :)

I missed your steam exhibition. :)  
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #692 on: January 06, 2012, 08:06:54 AM
People have sort of gotten out of "pigeon holing" voices.  At least in Europe. Lyric sopranos venture into lyric-spinto, there are coloratura lyric spintos, mezzos singing dramatic soprano roles, etc.  I haven't heard enough of your singing, but if, in fact, your voice has that dramatic "sound", and you can get around the coloratura stuff in Così, you are a soprano spinto-lirico di agilità.   And that repertoire sounds perfect! :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #693 on: January 06, 2012, 04:40:54 PM
Well I wasn't all that great yesterday evening... I kinda got obsessed with some really scary thoughts and I didn't know what to do about them... i don't even know why I just remembered my friend and how she once said she had a dead rabbit in her backpack cause she had to give that to someone from someone else and then I started thinking about how people are killing bunnies and how can someone even do that and then I started thinking that maybe we're all killers anyway and we could all kill if we were in a different situation and then I started thinking what  if I would just turn into a killer specially at night and started hurting my animals or my parents...  I was feeling so scared and horrible  :-X  :'( well sometime back I was thinking about what if my dad started walking around with a knife at night and what if my mum would put poison in my food...  ::)  ::)  ::) I can't believe I can be soooo stupid sometimes!!!!!!!!!!  ::)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #694 on: January 06, 2012, 10:17:30 PM
Now I feel kinda sick and my stomach hurts!  ::) I don't know what's wrong with me now!! I think I might have an allergy to the end of holidays!!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #695 on: January 07, 2012, 06:50:08 AM
Well I wasn't all that great yesterday evening... I kinda got obsessed with some really scary thoughts and I didn't know what to do about them... i don't even know why I just remembered my friend and how she once said she had a dead rabbit in her backpack cause she had to give that to someone from someone else and then I started thinking about how people are killing bunnies and how can someone even do that and then I started thinking that maybe we're all killers anyway and we could all kill if we were in a different situation and then I started thinking what  if I would just turn into a killer specially at night and started hurting my animals or my parents...  I was feeling so scared and horrible  :-X  :'( well sometime back I was thinking about what if my dad started walking around with a knife at night and what if my mum would put poison in my food...  ::)  ::)  ::) I can't believe I can be soooo stupid sometimes!!!!!!!!!!  ::)
That would make neat stuff for a horror movie!  Like "Littletune, Zombie By Night"!   ;D

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #696 on: January 07, 2012, 04:51:09 PM
Oh that's not funny Birba!! It scares me!!  :( But ok well I guess it is kinda funny cause it's so stupid  ::) I just hate that I get sometimes so scared of such stupid things, sometimes I just think of something or hear something and then it just won't go out of my head for days and then it becomes more and more scary in my head because I have too much imagination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are the only times when I don't like having so much imagination! What if I become crazy??  >:( And I start believing all these things and then I'll be like: oh everyone is trying to kill me!!! or: I have this other mean personality in my head trying to make me do bad things :o  ::)  ::)  ::) and then I'll have to be in a mental hospital... do you think they have pianos in mental hospitals?

Offline hastur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #697 on: January 07, 2012, 04:54:14 PM
... and then I'll have to be in a mental hospital... do you think they have pianos in mental hospitals?

They had one in a mental hospital I visited!
My current to-do list:
* Yann Tiersen
~ La Valse d'Amélie
* Beethoven
* Petzold
* Satie
- Gymnopédie No. 3

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #698 on: January 07, 2012, 04:56:41 PM
They had one in a mental hospital I visited!
Oh well at least that! But I still don't want to go crazy!!!!!

Offline hastur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #699 on: January 07, 2012, 05:07:09 PM
Oh well at least that! But I still don't want to go crazy!!!!!
Hehe, you'll probably be fine.. :) Don't worry too much!
My current to-do list:
* Yann Tiersen
~ La Valse d'Amélie
* Beethoven
* Petzold
* Satie
- Gymnopédie No. 3
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert