Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Piano Sonata 3  (Read 18039 times)

Offline gregh87

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Piano Sonata 3
on: October 29, 2008, 02:28:21 AM
Hey everyone,
I've been looking at this piece, and I'm considering learning it for my big piece next semester (and hopefully I could learn all of it).  I'm performing Ravel's Ondine in about a month, and I was wondering if the Chopin is feasible for me, as the last movement sounds extremely difficult.

How does it compare in difficulty to Ravel's Ondine, Chopin's 4th Ballade, Beethoven's Waldstein, and Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto?  These are the principle pieces I've learned in the past couple of years.  Just from my first impression from listening to it and following the music, it seems much harder, but pieces always seem really difficult to me when I listen to them.  (Sorry for making this kind of difficulty-comparison threads, I know there are probably a gagillion out there.)

Thanks!

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Piano Sonata 3
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:42:15 AM
I think it demands higher musical maturity and perfectionnement than what you have allready played, and it is a larger scale work for sure. But if your teacher thinks you're good for it, then you should try it out.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 09:45:29 AM
To my opinion the ballade and rach concerto are both harder than the op 58 sonate. I havent played Ondine and Waldstein, so i dont know about them.
The chopin sonate maybe sounds hard, but its technically not that complicated.

gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:08:37 PM
i agree with gyzzzmo if you can play rachmaninoffs second concerto chopins fourth ballade and beethovens waldstein sonata then you can play the third sonata
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline gregh87

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 04:43:05 AM
Thanks, that's encouraging.  I guess Chopin pieces are generally easier than they sound.  I listened to Ivo Pogorelich play the Sonata on Youtube, and he plays the 4th movement at like Mach 2.  This piece looks like a great project for next semester.  I'm also open to other pieces.  This time when I'm about to finish a piece and choose a new piece is always exciting! 

Anyone else have any other suggestions of pieces of this difficulty range that I should look into? I'm also considering Beethoven's Appasionata, but I've been playing a lot of Beethoven recently.  How do people like Rachmaninoff's Sonatas?

@ Gyzzmo, I'm a little surprised that you would consider that the ballade is more difficult than the 3rd Sonata.  I know that the Ballade requires a tremendous amount of musicality and expression in addition to the technique, but it seems that the Sonata needs at least as much musical maturity.  (This is obviously coming from the perspective not having played the Sonata.)

Some more questions:
Is the scherzo similar in difficulty to the 1st Ballade scherzo-like section?
Is the 3rd Sonata considered the most popular of the 3? My uneducated impression is that the 1st Sonata is not popular, and the 2nd and 3rd are viewed nearly equally.  I don't really like the last movement of the 2nd sonata, though.

Offline popdog

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 06:48:28 AM
Is the 3rd Sonata considered the most popular of the 3? My uneducated impression is that the 1st Sonata is not popular, and the 2nd and 3rd are viewed nearly equally.  I don't really like the last movement of the 2nd sonata, though.

I'm pretty sure that's about right.  I like the 2nd most. 

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:34:17 AM
I guess Chopin pieces are generally easier than they sound. 

It's precisely the other way around, to me :P

Offline numerian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 02:41:55 AM
Have a care with this sonata.  It is technically quite difficult, though there are certainly more demanding works.  But it is emotionally extremely rich, and in that respect one of the greatest piano sonatas written.  The more I work on this sonata, the more impressed I am with its construction and its musical power.  The four movements seem quite diverse, even though Chopin ties them together with occasional repeating motifs, but as you play through them you realize they are all perfect complements to each other.  There is more gorgeous, compelling, moving, exhilarating music packed into this sonata than you can find in most major symphonies or operas.  It takes a lot of musical experience to draw out the many beauties of this composition. 

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 10:14:30 AM
Thanks, that's encouraging.  I guess Chopin pieces are generally easier than they sound.  I listened to Ivo Pogorelich play the Sonata on Youtube, and he plays the 4th movement at like Mach 2.  This piece looks like a great project for next semester.  I'm also open to other pieces.  This time when I'm about to finish a piece and choose a new piece is always exciting! 

@ Gyzzmo, I'm a little surprised that you would consider that the ballade is more difficult than the 3rd Sonata.  I know that the Ballade requires a tremendous amount of musicality and expression in addition to the technique, but it seems that the Sonata needs at least as much musical maturity.  (This is obviously coming from the perspective not having played the Sonata.)

In your intro you were saying that the finale of the sonata sounded very difficult to you, and since the finale is musically pretty straight forward, i supposed you were talking about technical difficulty. Plus the fact that 'musical maturity' is something you have or not, not really something you can grade.

gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline gregh87

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 06:17:23 AM
Thanks for the replies.  The more I look and listen to this Sonata, the more I love it.  I'm excited about learning it, as soon as I finish learning Ravel's Ondine...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert