Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Schumann's Waldszenen (Forest Scenes) Op. 82  (Read 11134 times)

Offline rachmaninova

• PS Silver Member
Schumann's Waldszenen (Forest Scenes) Op. 82
on: December 02, 2008, 12:48:25 PM
Hi there!

I made a search through this forum about this cycle, but there isn't much said about it.
What do you think of this work? I have this idea that it is pretty much underrated comparing, for instance, with Kinderszenen or Papillons.
Which recordings and editions do you recommend me?

Best regards,
Rachmaninova

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann's Waldszenen (Forest Scenes) Op. 82
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:21:07 PM
It's an awesome cycle, musical poetry at its best. Why it is not played more often, I don't understand. I am quite a keen concert visitor, but I cannot remember to have heard it. It's always Kreisleriana, Fantasy, Kinderszenen, Carnival, occasionally a sonata or the symphonic etudes.

I can recommend Clara Haskil's recording.
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline rachmaninova

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 06:57:30 PM
Thank you both!  ;)

I'll try to find those recordings. I've been studying Papillons Op.2 and in 2 or 3 months I'll be changing program. Since I'm keen on continuing with Schumann, I thought of Carnaval, but it's so overplayed and I also have to fill the 50/60-minute recital with at least a modern sonata and a minimum of 10 minutes of music post-1945. I remembered I fell in love some years ago with Waldszenen when I sight-read it. It's such a poetic cycle and it's outrageous how many people disregard it. I think I'm going to take this work on my hands.

Even on this forum there's very little info about this work (mainly about "Vogel als Prophet") and I was trying to collect more opinions or even to generate some discussion about some of the pieces.
For instance, is this work based on some literary work, like Papillons?

Best regards,
Rachmaninova

Offline thijsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:00:08 PM
Last month I went to a recital of Volodos. He played all the waldszenen in his programme, really loved them! I don't think he's ever recorded them though...

It's an awesome cycle, musical poetry at its best. Why it is not played more often, I don't understand. I am quite a keen concert visitor, but I cannot remember to have heard it. It's always Kreisleriana, Fantasy, Kinderszenen, Carnival, occasionally a sonata or the symphonic etudes.

I can recommend Clara Haskil's recording.

Offline rachmaninova

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:59:43 PM
Nothing else to say?  :-[
Oh, I don't believe that such beautiful work doesn't captivate you.

Has anyone here studied/played it?

Offline lmpianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 11:11:41 PM
guess you could say that... I'm learning it now!

Nothing else to say?  :-[
Oh, I don't believe that such beautiful work doesn't captivate you.

Has anyone here studied/played it?

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 09:37:32 AM
To respond to Rachmaninova's request for more info I found the entry below on the web. It gives a fairly good summary of it. A salient feature of the Waldszenen is that it is the last piano work Schumann wrote before he became mentally ill. So, it's a mature work, very different from the cycles he wrote 10-15 years earlier. A commentator once said that he was already loosing his mental and creative powers when writing this cycle. But to me that's a typical expectation-driven comment like: "Why didin't he continue to write cycles like Kreisleriana, Faschingsschwank, Carnaval, Nachtstücke etc?" Well, he didn't. He changed, he evolved, he wrote something very different, special, and I would add - sublime. Compared to the early cycles, he often uses less notes to achieve more depth, such as in 3,4,& 7.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waldszenen (Forest Scenes), Op. 82 (1848-49) consists of nine short pieces similar in style and spirit to the composer's Kinderszenen (1838). "Eintritt" (Entrance) features unusual, asymmetrical phrasing. "Jäger auf der Lauer" (Hunter in Ambush) is an exciting, technically challenging piece in the cast of a typical nineteenth century hunting song. The difficulties of "Einsame Blumen" (Solitary Flowers) lie in maintaing balance between the two distinct voices in the right hand; otherwise, it is simple and melodic. "Verrufene Stelle" (Haunted Spot) evokes an air of eerie mystery with passages in slow dotted rhythms, while the fast, tricky triplets of "Freundliche Landschaft" (Friendly Landscape) create a surprisingly poetic effect. "Herbege" (At the Inn) presents a variety of material that requires great sensitivity to balance.
The best-known and most striking piece of the set is "Vogel als Prophet" (The Prophet Bird); its cross-relations, incomplete melodies, and extreme delicacy of texture create a weirdly beautiful atmosphere. "Jagdlied" (Hunting Song) is the second of the Waldszenen in this style and the example more typical of the genre. Rapidly repeated triplet chords both lend the piece rhythmic drive and pose a substantial technical challenge. The concluding "Abschied" (Farewell) is a touching song without words. Waldszen may rightly be regarded as Schumann's last really fine keyboard work. The diminishment of the composer's mental and emotional capacities in ensuing years led him to redirect his energies largely toward the compilation and revision of earlier works rather than the production of new music.
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline edwardweiss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 11:24:17 PM
I travelled from my home in England to Prague during October in order to see Artur Pizarro play Waldscenen, Bach's Chromatic F&F and sonatas by Vorisek and Chopin. I have been playing the Schumann on and off for years and consider it a masterwork along with the Allegro in B minor and Faschingsswank aus Wien. I have never understood why these are not heard more often in recital when we are constantly treated to bad performances of the C Major Fantasy by pianists who can't play quietly,have an ugly fortissimo and who can't get the dreaded 'skips' right! My journey was well worth it-Pizarro is one of the best pianists around at present. His ideas in Waldscenen contrasted markedly with my own in places, so I learned a lot from his excellent performance. Congratulations to an artist who will plan and play a programme which is out of the ordinary. Incidentally-there is a set of 'Forest Scenes' Op.66  by English composer Samuel Coleridge-Taylor that I play-however, they are uneven, nowhere near as good as Schumann's, though number 1 has been well received when I've given it as an encore.

Offline rachmaninova

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 11:28:40 AM
To respond to Rachmaninova's request for more info I found the entry below on the web. It gives a fairly good summary of it. A salient feature of the Waldszenen is that it is the last piano work Schumann wrote before he became mentally ill. So, it's a mature work, very different from the cycles he wrote 10-15 years earlier. A commentator once said that he was already loosing his mental and creative powers when writing this cycle. But to me that's a typical expectation-driven comment like: "Why didin't he continue to write cycles like Kreisleriana, Faschingsschwank, Carnaval, Nachtstücke etc?" Well, he didn't. He changed, he evolved, he wrote something very different, special, and I would add - sublime. Compared to the early cycles, he often uses less notes to achieve more depth, such as in 3,4,& 7.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waldszenen (Forest Scenes), Op. 82 (1848-49) consists of nine short pieces similar in style and spirit to the composer's Kinderszenen (1838). "Eintritt" (Entrance) features unusual, asymmetrical phrasing. "Jäger auf der Lauer" (Hunter in Ambush) is an exciting, technically challenging piece in the cast of a typical nineteenth century hunting song. The difficulties of "Einsame Blumen" (Solitary Flowers) lie in maintaing balance between the two distinct voices in the right hand; otherwise, it is simple and melodic. "Verrufene Stelle" (Haunted Spot) evokes an air of eerie mystery with passages in slow dotted rhythms, while the fast, tricky triplets of "Freundliche Landschaft" (Friendly Landscape) create a surprisingly poetic effect. "Herbege" (At the Inn) presents a variety of material that requires great sensitivity to balance.
The best-known and most striking piece of the set is "Vogel als Prophet" (The Prophet Bird); its cross-relations, incomplete melodies, and extreme delicacy of texture create a weirdly beautiful atmosphere. "Jagdlied" (Hunting Song) is the second of the Waldszenen in this style and the example more typical of the genre. Rapidly repeated triplet chords both lend the piece rhythmic drive and pose a substantial technical challenge. The concluding "Abschied" (Farewell) is a touching song without words. Waldszen may rightly be regarded as Schumann's last really fine keyboard work. The diminishment of the composer's mental and emotional capacities in ensuing years led him to redirect his energies largely toward the compilation and revision of earlier works rather than the production of new music.

Hi!

This was very useful.
Where did you find this entry?

Offline rachmaninova

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 11:37:20 AM
I travelled from my home in England to Prague during October in order to see Artur Pizarro play Waldscenen, Bach's Chromatic F&F and sonatas by Vorisek and Chopin. I have been playing the Schumann on and off for years and consider it a masterwork along with the Allegro in B minor and Faschingsswank aus Wien. I have never understood why these are not heard more often in recital when we are constantly treated to bad performances of the C Major Fantasy by pianists who can't play quietly,have an ugly fortissimo and who can't get the dreaded 'skips' right! My journey was well worth it-Pizarro is one of the best pianists around at present. His ideas in Waldscenen contrasted markedly with my own in places, so I learned a lot from his excellent performance. Congratulations to an artist who will plan and play a programme which is out of the ordinary. Incidentally-there is a set of 'Forest Scenes' Op.66  by English composer Samuel Coleridge-Taylor that I play-however, they are uneven, nowhere near as good as Schumann's, though number 1 has been well received when I've given it as an encore.

Pizarro is a reason to be proud of our country.  :D
I only saw him perform live the Ravel's Left Hand Concerto. It was magical! He gave recently in Lisbon the same recital you saw in Prague, which was live on the radio, but unfortunately I only had the chance to hear Chopin's 3rd sonata (which was awesome too!). I'm glad you liked him!
I'm now very well convinced that I'm going to study this work after my exam. Let's see what my teacher says...  ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert