Piano Forum

Topic: Beethoven - Sonate Pathétique  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Corleone

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven - Sonate Pathétique
on: June 05, 2004, 02:59:02 PM
I'm Studying the beethoven sonate pathétique. Would you constantly use te pedal, or not?
Without the pedal it sounds so dry and boring, with the use of the pedal it's much powerful and bright.

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven - Sonate Pathétique
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 04:40:37 PM
I'm Studying the beethoven sonate pathétique. Would you constantly use te pedal, or not?
Without the pedal it sounds so dry and boring, with the use of the pedal it's much powerful and bright.

You would neither "constantly" use the pedal, nor would you "not" use the pedal, but you would definately use the damper pedal in this piece.

Seems like you anwered your own question.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline shh its kaya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 08:05:21 AM
Yay! I love that sonata, yet I'm not very good at playing it :(.  I have only gotten as far as the end of the second page of the first movement and nearly perfecting the second movement.  As was mentioned before, I tend to use the pedal in certain parts and not in others.  I'm self-taught, but luckily the music I'm using is my dad's old music and has all the notes from his teacher ;).

Yei, its like getting a lesson for free!

Oh, and I'm not sure how advanced you are, but don't get discouraged.  It can be a difficult piece (at least it is for me).  Just keep practicing those quick parts slowly, and then gradually speed it up, until you got them down. ;)

Best Wishes
-Kaya
~International Freak~

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 05:49:07 AM
well, in all music, the general idea is to use the damper pedal as little as possible while still keeping everything sounding smooth, unless otherwise noted of course......if you listen to recordings of this particular sonata, u might be surprised at how little pedal is used.
rach on!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert