Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Méreaux - Most difficult romantic composer according to Hamelin  (Read 15945 times)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: Méreaux - Most difficult romantic composer according to Hamelin
Reply #50 on: November 01, 2017, 02:06:13 PM
Bumping this thread after 5 years, I should mention that a recording of the complete set of Méreaux études is due to be made shortly, all by one pianist, Artur Cimirro; you'll find details in the Performance section from yesterday. Watch this space! The sheer amount of trouble required to prepare the entire cycle is beyond mind-boggling but then, for me, so is the prospect that anyone would spend so much time working up so much music whose worth adds up to little more than a couple of études by Chopin, Liszt or Alkan; I fear that, broadly speaking, I share Marc-André Hamelin's view of these works.

That said, this is set to be a prelude to something more exciting and remarkable still, from the same pianist. Watch this space again!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline marro

• PS Silver Member
Re: Méreaux - Most difficult romantic composer according to Hamelin
Reply #51 on: November 02, 2017, 08:23:35 PM
Since Cimirro is about to record all Mereaux I have to share something which bothers me generally in piano technique, but especially in etudes by Mereaux, and it is why do we use almost exclusively tips of fingers when better would be use all of our possible mounts?
Injury is likely to result from attempting to play Il Trillo No. 48.

4/5 trills with both hands whilst playing the melody in thirds with both hands.

Thal

No, we, can easily do that fragment with trill by 5th finger and mount of mercury, pluto or luna, while playing thirds 42/31/20 (0 for other part of thumb)

Such technique especially fits good in Scriabin (more use of jupiter and neptune mounts), and many pieces with typical "nocturnal" accompaniament, we can start with mount luna, then 5th finger and rest of fingers and thus have pure legato without crossing over thumb.

Btw this is my first post so hello to everybody. English is not my first language.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert