Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: How are you?  (Read 20384 times)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: How are you?
Reply #150 on: July 02, 2009, 09:05:52 PM
I have comsumed a little too much tonight, but it is a rare treat.

There was a sale at Asda, so i bought me a crate of beer which appears to be rapidly diminshing.

I find it helps me cope with the heat.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #151 on: July 02, 2009, 09:59:54 PM
I have comsumed a little too much tonight, but it is a rare treat.

There was a sale at Asda, so i bought me a crate of beer which appears to be rapidly diminshing.

I find it helps me cope with the heat.
It must indeed be very hot tonight in Le Fin des Graves if your very crate is diminishing; of precisely which metal it may have been manifactured I know not but, as I said, the temperatures in your Kentish locality must be pretty high if whatever that substance may be is gradually melting...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline gep

Reply #152 on: July 03, 2009, 12:30:35 PM
Thal has drunk so much beer that his fingers are stuck above the bracket keys on his keyboard; a sad situation, to be sure, but by no means an incurable one.
Chopping of his fingers might help.
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #153 on: July 03, 2009, 02:08:50 PM
It must indeed be very hot tonight in Le Fin des Graves

Gravesend is often the hottest place in the Country and holds the record for the highest temperature ever recorded in UK. I think this might have something to do with the number of curry houses in the town.

I actually prefer the coldest place in the UK, being the charming little Scottish village of Altnaharra.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #154 on: July 03, 2009, 04:15:07 PM
Gravesend is often the hottest place in the Country and holds the record for the highest temperature ever recorded in UK.
I didn't know that. I had thought that accolade had been awarded to Cheltenham in 2003.

I think this might have something to do with the number of curry houses in the town.
When the quantity of curry houses per square kilometre in any place begins to impact upon climate change I might believe that humanity is responsible for some of it after all (actually, I do believe that humanity may to some extent have aggravated it but I do not believe that its activities have been the sole cause).

I actually prefer the coldest place in the UK, being the charming little Scottish village of Altnaharra.
I didn't know that, either; I've only ever been there once and the afternoon temperature on that occasion was around 34 degrees.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline gep

Reply #155 on: July 03, 2009, 04:46:35 PM
When the quantity of curry houses per square kilometre in any place begins to impact upon climate change I might believe that humanity is responsible for some of it after all (actually, I do believe that humanity may to some extent have aggravated it but I do not believe that its activities have been the sole cause).
On this fascinating subject (or should I say hype?) I might advise reading the Nigel Calder book "The manic Sun: weather theories confounded". It's from 1997, but still quite to the point. More recent (2007) is the Henrik Svensmark & Nigel Calder book "The chilling stars; A new theory of climate change", which is a kind of sequel with more data.
Two points to consider.
1) If mankind really is causing global warming, this should be most pronounced in the lowest atmospheric layer, it's effect slowly rising to higher altitudes. If there is a cosmic cause (Sun, etc.) the gradient should be the other way. Guess what, the higher you get, the more change there is.
2)What causes he most greenhouse gasses? Burning coal. Where do they burn the most coal? China & India. What are emerging (big) economic competitors? China & India. Of course, the connection isn’t real…

Do we change climate? We do, by polluting our own environment with pesticides and other –cides, huge amounts of waste, antibiotics etc. Do not underestimate the effect of “the pill” once the ladies pee them out. Search the Internet for “deformed frogs” and suchlike. But these real threats (our own over-consuming society) we rather look away from, since changing that would mean a) changing our pampered lives and would b) harm the industry providing the pampering.

And how about CO2-neutral living one hears so much about? If we all breathed more slowly (2 breaths in the space of 3) this has been calculated to represent quite some million square kilometres in forests.

Oh, and forests being the lungs of the world, taking in CO2 and producing O2? Well, netto they don’t. They do produce O2 and take in CO2 during sunshine. At night they take in )2 and produce CO2. Netto O2 production = 0 (zero).

happy breathing,

Gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #156 on: July 03, 2009, 04:56:14 PM
Hey, you guys,  I know how much you want to discuss global warming and
its affects upon humanity.   May I suggest  starting another thread:  How about the Thal, Ahinton and gep thread?   I am sure members would be entertained.   ;D   you can discuss anything you want..... 8)

And a good day to you, Thal, ahinton and gep.    :)   

best wishes,

go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline gep

Reply #157 on: July 03, 2009, 05:15:07 PM
I know how much you want to discuss global warming and
its affects upon humanity.   May I suggest  starting another thread:  How about the Thal, Ahinton and gep thread?
But what if such a triangular discussion thread (threat?) about global warming results in a heated atmosphere? ;)

you can discuss anything you want.....
Modern music à la Carter, immigratuity, politickling, sports et divertissements, cats... :-\

I am sure members would be entertained. 
Or entertainers dismembered...

And a good day to you, Thal, ahinton and gep. 
And a most pleasent day to Go, ahinton and, what the heck, Thal!

Why doesn';t this typingscreen scroll???

All best,
Gep

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #158 on: July 03, 2009, 05:31:05 PM

And a good day to you, Thal, ahinton and gep.    :)   

best wishes,

go12_3

thats "The Great Ahinton" to you  >:(
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #159 on: July 03, 2009, 05:39:18 PM
I just want to bury myself in the ground right now.
 :-[   :-\   ::)   ???   :P   :'(   :-X 

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #160 on: July 03, 2009, 05:54:07 PM
On this fascinating subject (or should I say hype?) I might advise reading the Nigel Calder book "The manic Sun: weather theories confounded". It's from 1997, but still quite to the point. More recent (2007) is the Henrik Svensmark & Nigel Calder book "The chilling stars; A new theory of climate change", which is a kind of sequel with more data.
Two points to consider.
1) If mankind really is causing global warming, this should be most pronounced in the lowest atmospheric layer, it's effect slowly rising to higher altitudes. If there is a cosmic cause (Sun, etc.) the gradient should be the other way. Guess what, the higher you get, the more change there is.
2)What causes he most greenhouse gasses? Burning coal. Where do they burn the most coal? China & India. What are emerging (big) economic competitors? China & India. Of course, the connection isn’t real…

Do we change climate? We do, by polluting our own environment with pesticides and other –cides, huge amounts of waste, antibiotics etc. Do not underestimate the effect of “the pill” once the ladies pee them out. Search the Internet for “deformed frogs” and suchlike. But these real threats (our own over-consuming society) we rather look away from, since changing that would mean a) changing our pampered lives and would b) harm the industry providing the pampering.

And how about CO2-neutral living one hears so much about? If we all breathed more slowly (2 breaths in the space of 3) this has been calculated to represent quite some million square kilometres in forests.

Oh, and forests being the lungs of the world, taking in CO2 and producing O2? Well, netto they don’t. They do produce O2 and take in CO2 during sunshine. At night they take in )2 and produce CO2. Netto O2 production = 0 (zero).

happy breathing,

Gep

Of course we do contribute to climate change; I am just not convinced that all climate change is due to human activity, especially as climate change in previous centuries would not likely be down to human activity. The gaia lot would have most of believe that we have to do away with some of the things that we now take for granted if we are to restore balances, yet had researches into such things as natural pesticides and renewable energy occurred long before they did, we'd not now be burning anything like as much fossil fuels; imagine low-cost airlines flying almost noiseless electric planes around the world, all of us driving electric vehicles and powering our homes, factories and other buildings without any recourse to fossil fuels! We could continue to produce plenty if we must, yet without causing so much havoc by so doing. Of course the oil industry and other vested interests have wanted nothing of the kind, so it's now coming far later than it should have done.

One American survey (I cannot now lay hands on the source) reckoned that even if the global carbon footprint were to be reduced to zero, there would still be material climate change; that said, they agreed that we should still try to reduce it, as it would otherwise aggravate the situation.

I'm just now waiting for Thal to chip in and tell us that if all immigrants stopped breathing altogether, the carbon footprint would reduce drastically; he could then perhaps add an argument that if I stopped composing, a lot more hot air would no longer be blown...

And a good day to all!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #161 on: July 03, 2009, 05:55:08 PM
thats "The Great Ahinton" to you  >:(
Oh, really? And there I was thinking that it was me that he was referring to!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #162 on: July 03, 2009, 05:56:07 PM
Why? I'm quite sure that no one else here wants that!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline gep

Reply #163 on: July 03, 2009, 06:55:51 PM
Whatever for???
Please do try not to think thoughts like that!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #164 on: July 03, 2009, 07:03:53 PM
Stressed out.  Thinks it's not a great sign when you have to take some caffeine or 5-hour in order to feel normal again.   But relieved that I can feel it working...
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline gep

Reply #165 on: July 03, 2009, 07:13:52 PM
I am just not convinced that all climate change is due to human activity, especially as climate change in previous centuries would not likely be down to human activity.
Indeed. I do think we contribute some change (think coolants from fridges and such), but most certainly not all. The climate changes, as it has always done. If fact, studies show that the last 10,000 years or so have been unusually stable, something that probably contributed to the advance of human civilisation. During the last ice age there was a 1km thick ice layer a few kilometres north of where I live. The sealevel was 120meters lower. Etc.
In more recent times, around the year 1000AD the climate in Europe was even warmer than it is now (allowing vineyards in Scandinavia (Southern parts, of course!)), and roughly 1600-1800 is known as the "small ice age" because then it was much colder than it is now. But nowadays we have much more information readily available. Who knew the daily temperature in Ouagadougou a hundred years ago? Now we do. Any weather problem, be it next street or next continent, is in the news in minutes. More and more "climate disasters" happen they say. Perhaps due to the fact that humans have always tended to live on top of active volcanoes, in river estuaries and along coasts? If 200 years ago a village at the Borneo coast was flooded, how many people knew about that in Germany? Today, all, in a matter of minutes. The high death toll in Bangladesh during a storm is also due to the fact that that country is densely populated, flatter than the Netherlands and right in the usual cyclone pathways.

imagine low-cost airlines flying almost noiseless electric planes around the world, all of us driving electric vehicles and powering our homes, factories and other buildings without any recourse to fossil fuels!
But how do you want to generate that power? Solar panels? Wind turbines? How many would you need to power everything we power now? Surely we need to reduce our wasting way of using energy too, and drastically. Such is possible, but our economy thrives on our spending. Imagine a lamp you’d have to buy only once and then would last 100 years. No lamp factory would be very happy with such a lamp…

It’s a very complex problem to solve, needing a change in the way we live.

if I stopped composing
Horrific thought!

All best,
Gep

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #166 on: July 03, 2009, 07:30:33 PM

if I stopped composing

Was not aware you had started.
Curator/Director

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #167 on: July 03, 2009, 07:39:46 PM
I appreciate your concern, ahinton and gep.  Really, there are times in my mind I would like to
fix things up and right now I cannot.  Sometimes things in life is not being clear upon what I
would like.  And I apologize for making such a statement in my earlier post.   :P
Literally, I would not want to *bury myself in the ground*  , I would be too hot right now.  No, in seriousness, life is here for me  to enjoy and I need to embrace it each day. 

best wishes,
go12_3

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #168 on: July 03, 2009, 07:49:53 PM
Kind of annoyed. I tend on overstating my opinion and it gets me into trouble a lot  :( someone today called me ignorant because I said I think Haydn is as good as Beethoven (and I made it very clear that was my opinion)
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #169 on: July 03, 2009, 07:58:49 PM
It has been a good day in Thal land today. I knew it was going to be good when i saw the postman struggling up the hill. I thought he must have my scores and indeed he did.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #170 on: July 03, 2009, 08:47:28 PM
But how do you want to generate that power? Solar panels? Wind turbines? How many would you need to power everything we power now? Surely we need to reduce our wasting way of using energy too, and drastically. Such is possible, but our economy thrives on our spending. Imagine a lamp you’d have to buy only once and then would last 100 years. No lamp factory would be very happy with such a lamp…

It’s a very complex problem to solve, needing a change in the way we live.
Wind turbines are all very well in areas wherre strong winds are prevalent, but they are expensive things that do not last very well. The entire Sahara area, along with much of the Middle East that has to date been so bent on oil production, could do much for solar generation - so, for that matter, could the northern Mediterranean areas and even areas north of there. There are also many materials availab enow that can cut down on eneergy requirements, so I believe that it is at least as importnat to make the best use of those in order that the least amount of energy be generated - in other words, let's try to get the most out of what's there as well as exploiting renewable energy sources.

As to the long-life lamp - this is well under way. Low energy lighting is still relatively in its infancy but designs and technological developements are improving what is on offer so that the posit that you offer may not in the end be so utterly unrealistic as it currently may sound; again, this is part of the exercise of getting the most from the least. Leaving aside the environmentally unfriendly aspects of oil exploration, sourcing, production, refining and distribution and the same for such fuels as coal and its derivatives, the sheer amounts of human energy that have to date gone into research and development are yet another example of unnecessary wastage, given that oil and coal reserves always dry up so that the researchers involved in it have constantly to find and develop new reserves. It's all so ridiculously innecessary but, as I have stated, it has also to date been fuelled (sorry!) by vested interests on a vast commercial scale - daft, really, because the commercial benefits of renewable energy exploitation are almost certainly even greater.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #171 on: July 03, 2009, 09:43:42 PM
Wind turbines are all very well in areas wherre strong winds are prevalent, but they are expensive things that do not last very well.

I saw a few whilst visiting the Shetlands, which would appear to be one of the best places in the world to have wind farms. If you turned the entire Island into one gigantic farm, you would have enough electricity to power the entire UK one would think.

Hic

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #172 on: July 03, 2009, 10:14:10 PM
I saw a few whilst visiting the Shetlands, which would appear to be one of the best places in the world to have wind farms. If you turned the entire Island into one gigantic farm, you would have enough electricity to power the entire UK one would think.

Hic

Thal
Wind farms have their places, as I indicated previously - parts of southern France and Spanish Catalunya are prime examples near to us, as is the Shetland one you mention (except that Shetland is, as well you know, not an island but a large group thereof, of which but few individual ones are populated) - but they are simply not as economical and efficient as other renewable energy sources; many's the time when travelling through the Vendée in France, for example - a largely flat principally wheat producing area - that I've observed wind farms with several of the turbines turned off while others seem at least to be moving and, one would assume, achieving something of the presumably desired effect. Frankly, I'm not entirely convinced...

Sufficient quantities of trapped and redistributed hiccups of the kind that you illustrate here might, however, embrace the possibility of being turned into environmentally viable forms of renewable energy, given sufficient and appropriate prior technological research...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #173 on: July 03, 2009, 10:30:18 PM
At the moment, i think that my arse could be the answer to the worlds energy crises.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #174 on: July 04, 2009, 06:49:21 AM
At the moment, i think that my arse could be the answer to the worlds energy crises.
I will refrain from asking why or how you have gotten yourself into the state that warrants this particular thought but at the same time I cannot help but ask whether the pollution factor attendant on its use for that purpose might override any energy crisis that it might solve...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline gep

Reply #175 on: July 04, 2009, 03:01:45 PM
It has been a good day in Thal land today. I knew it was going to be good when i saw the postman struggling up the hill. I thought he must have my scores and indeed he did.

Thal
This reminds me of the time I was in the library, quite a while ago, and the lady there immediately said "your score has arrived; we knew it was for you because it was in the largest envelope I ever saw!". To which I then said "it can't be right then, for the score I requested most certainly could not fit an envelope". Few weeks later the box with the rest arrived. Containing the remaining 7 scores of St. François d'Assise. Never knew it was that far to get to my car.... :o

Offline gep

Reply #176 on: July 04, 2009, 03:09:27 PM
Wind turbines are surely effective. But overhere it's very hard to build even one, for invariably there will be some "greenling" (you know, these palish looking environmentalists) who will try to put a stop to building because of some fern or something growing just there.

Solar panels in the Sahara. Very good idea, molto sunshine, few clouds, fewer people, and nothing but sand and rock as far as you can see. Ideal for such a thing indeed. It's just a pity then that the ruling bunches there are even more shaky and untrustworthy that the ones we presently get out oil and gas from. But solar farms in the UK would not be a possibillity, if the general stories about the weather there are to be trusted... ;)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #177 on: July 04, 2009, 04:08:00 PM
Wind turbines are surely effective. But overhere it's very hard to build even one, for invariably there will be some "greenling" (you know, these palish looking environmentalists) who will try to put a stop to building because of some fern or something growing just there.

Solar panels in the Sahara. Very good idea, molto sunshine, few clouds, fewer people, and nothing but sand and rock as far as you can see. Ideal for such a thing indeed. It's just a pity then that the ruling bunches there are even more shaky and untrustworthy that the ones we presently get out oil and gas from. But solar farms in the UK would not be a possibillity, if the general stories about the weather there are to be trusted... ;)
OK, but if each individual who has enough south-facing roof or other space to accomodate solar panels does so and has a solar photovoltaic system installed, he/she could produce his/her own electricity and then no longer be dependent upon the big-shot suppliers; this way, some of the politics can be taken out of large-scale power supply in that the dominance of the relevant multinational corporations will thereby be substantially weakened. When I move, I intend to do this kind of thing myself.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline gep

Reply #178 on: July 04, 2009, 05:42:08 PM
Indeed, one could do this, especially if you're building a new house. And there are many quite easy ways to reduce energy consumption.
Our dear Dutch government has even a campaign out to convince people to isolate their windows (double glazing). Of course, this being government, they also have a campaign to convince people to keep windows open at all times for circulation.... And they cut the tax bonus for people who want to put up solar panels. And to top it off, they coupled the price of natural gas (of which we have quite a lot, and is way more environmental friendly that oil or coal) to the price of raw oil which results in, as a former economics teacher of mine once said, "the price of gas rises if the price of oil rises because of this connection, and rises as the price of oil falls to compensate".

But all that said, there are quite a number of ways to minimise the use of "new" energy (think oil etc); solar energy, wind energy, earth warmth, storing solar heat, insulation and what not. What would help I think is if the government would help these things by way of subsidising, funding etc. As long as “alternative” energy is more expensive than oil, coal or whatever, it will not get very far, I fear.

In the face of the fact that oil, gas and coal will run out in a while perhaps alternatives will present themselves. In perhaps unexpected ways. And with unexpected results. Think how our society changed when we got coal power (steam engines) and when we got electricity, or when we got oil (nuclear energy I hear you say. Yes, that changed our world too).

Nuclear fusion, matter/antimatter, or something we haven’t even thought of yet?

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #179 on: July 04, 2009, 05:49:10 PM

*Go COUGHS* 

*clears her throat*   

*She wonders about how this thread got turned
 into an environmental topic.........hum?*   

Offline gep

Reply #180 on: July 04, 2009, 05:55:55 PM
*Go COUGHS* 

*clears her throat*   

*She wonders about how this thread got turned
 into an environmental topic.........hum?*   
Because the weather here has been so very opressingly HOT, making the environment (smouldering streets and such) the main point of interest? '+_+'

But you're right, back to topic!

How are you? I'm hot, are you cool?  ;) ;D

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #181 on: July 04, 2009, 07:27:49 PM
Indeed, I am fine and well, thank you, gep,   ;D
inspite of the hot weather....I have A/C which makes me cool,  Oh, ya!   ;)   8).   

*now GO wonders about Thal and ahinton coming along.....*   (ah, they usually do!   :P

best wishes,

go12_3

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #182 on: July 04, 2009, 07:41:31 PM
I've done some piano practice today, but back on banjo this evening.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #183 on: July 04, 2009, 08:15:46 PM
I've done some piano practice today, but back on banjo this evening.

Thal

How long have you been playing the banjo?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #184 on: July 04, 2009, 08:21:55 PM
Plectrum banjo about a year.

Used to play bluegrass a lot, but this is new style to me and is completely different.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #185 on: July 05, 2009, 06:37:12 PM
 *sigh*    This is going to be a long, long day...... :P

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #186 on: July 05, 2009, 08:35:43 PM
*sigh*    This is going to be a long, long day...... :P
No longer than any other, surely?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #187 on: July 05, 2009, 08:44:02 PM
No longer than any other, surely?

Yes, when every minute seems like an hour.....and my mind can't focus on anything and I'm tired from a busy weekend and I would like Monday to begin, and yet, I don't know if I want to deal with Monday also.....just down in the dumps right now. 

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #188 on: July 06, 2009, 09:21:29 AM
Yes, when every minute seems like an hour.....and my mind can't focus on anything and I'm tired from a busy weekend and I would like Monday to begin, and yet, I don't know if I want to deal with Monday also.....just down in the dumps right now. 
I'm sorry to hear that; do you know why?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #189 on: July 06, 2009, 11:37:49 AM
With women, there is usually a simple explanation.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline gep

Reply #190 on: July 06, 2009, 12:04:08 PM
With women, there is usually a simple explanation.

Thal
Indeed. Go probably spent some time with barely-post-puberty men, which includes 98% of all males over 13 it seems sometimes. Especially during or just after a soccer/football/whateversport thing.

Sheesh..... :P

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #191 on: July 06, 2009, 12:22:05 PM
Indeed. Go probably spent some time with barely-post-puberty men, which includes 98% of all males over 13 it seems sometimes. Especially during or just after a soccer/football/whateversport thing.

Sheesh..... :P

Excuse me?   ??? 

Offline gep

Reply #192 on: July 06, 2009, 12:28:28 PM
Excuse me?   ??? 
I did not mean by choice or voluntarely. You just can't avoid such characters sometimes. I spent some time once with some guys who where totally into last weekend's soccermatches. It went on for hours and then only 5 minutes had passed.

Talk about a long long day.

Twas an example to illustrate that I might know how you felt when saying
Quote from: go12_3 on July 05, 2009, 08:44:02 PM

I may have put it somewhat unclear. ;) ;D

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #193 on: July 06, 2009, 12:47:59 PM
I spent some time once with some guys who where totally into last weekend's soccermatches. It went on for hours and then only 5 minutes had passed.

Indeed, I know what you mean.  Some guys are into themselves and talk, talk, talk, and oh, I would rather be someplace else.  Y

Yesterday was a weird day.  I would look at the time and only 2 minutes has passed and then I think, *oh gosh,  this day is a slow one* . I have tried to be busy, and even being busy just didn't work.  :P   ::)    Well, I hope that today will GO better!    :D

best wishes,

go12_3

Offline gep

Reply #194 on: July 06, 2009, 12:53:33 PM
Of course, the opposite happens also, only this morning I looked at the clock and it was 10AM, and when I looked at it 15 minutes later in was well past 11AM....

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #195 on: July 06, 2009, 01:15:50 PM
Yes, I know what you mean how the *time flies* concept, when there isn't enough time to do  the things that needs to be done.  I would do a task and then the morning is already gone. 
A moment in time can last a lifetime though...

best wishes,

go12_3

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #196 on: July 06, 2009, 01:40:07 PM
There is an old cliché in English that runs "doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself?!" which, on occasion in the past when undertaking a boring task that I'd really rather not be doing, I reinterpreted as "doesn't enjoyment fly when you're timing yourself?!"...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #197 on: July 06, 2009, 03:13:46 PM
undertaking a boring task that I'd really rather not be doing

Your quintet?
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #198 on: July 06, 2009, 04:23:20 PM
Your quintet?
Silly question; if I'd really not have been doing any work on that, I could have chosen not to do any. I would have thought it perfectly obvious that I was referring to unavoidable tasks that I would really rather not have had to do.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline concerto_love

• PS Silver Member
Reply #199 on: July 08, 2009, 02:36:28 PM
wehee hee..  ;D me fine. what a perfect holiday... gaming everyday. Well, me back. and so does cai
when dignity, love, and joy meet...

OMG, it's spa time!!! ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert