Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: 2nd try of ecossaisen WoO 83  (Read 5192 times)

Offline fredericfrancoischopin

• PS Silver Member
2nd try of ecossaisen WoO 83
on: July 16, 2009, 02:12:27 PM
me playing Beethoven
currently learning:

Mussorgsky: Pictures at one exhibition suite
Beethoven: -Sonata "Grande sonate Pathetique"Ecossaisen,The turkish march,
Sgambati:Melody from Orfeo
Chopin: f.i-lp

• PS Silver Member
Me playing Chopin
currently learning:

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Re: 2nd try of ecossaisen WoO 83
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:49:23 PM
How come you even bother?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:28:07 PM
currently learning:

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:33:17 PM
what???

you upload your and than we will c

Bernard
currently learning:

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 09:18:45 PM
Oh-oh... ;D

Offline makeanote

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 11:10:52 PM
Hi there Bernard.

To begin with, you were a little premature in posting these pieces. If these were sequenced, then there is something wrong with your quantizing (which is drastically affecting the timing).

These performances were quite poor from a number of standpoints:
# The timing was poor with very little evenness in your figures. My suggestion is to use a metronome, write the timing above the notes and follow it very carefully.
# Clearly the piece was not known well enough to perform fluently. Again, I suggest slowing it down to a tempo that you can play it through without error.
# Beethoven's music does not indicate the variations in tempo that you display. While the performer's interpretation must play a part in performance, you need to focus on getting the notes right first.

One thing I have noticed from many performers (not just at this site) is a desire to be able to play pieces that they are not ready to play or currently capable of playing. Good pianism comes from disciplining yourself to practise and play pieces (and in some cases, exercises) to build your confidence and ability. This often can mean playing easier pieces than you currently play.

If you like Beethoven, learn some Sonatinas. They contain some good keys to playing harder Beethoven and are much easier. For finger evenness, look at some easy Bach (or dare I say it, get some exercises like Hanon).

I trust this helps,
Ian

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 01:49:29 AM
One thing I have noticed from many performers (not just at this site) is a desire to be able to play pieces that they are not ready to play or currently capable of playing. Good pianism comes from disciplining yourself to practise and play pieces (and in some cases, exercises) to build your confidence and ability. This often can mean playing easier pieces than you currently play.

You're just lucky you don't live in Perth, Australia... There are so many unqualified teachers teaching piano when they shouldn't be - destroying the music for students. I once had to listen to someone play Chopins Scherzo No. 2 in b flat minor for a recording session... the student was so inexperienced and had so little control over it - it took an hour and a half for her to play it through because almost EVERY SINGLE passage was played several times to get it right...

This was from a piano teacher who'd been teaching for 25 years and didn't do a damn thing to help me get into University. I currently now have a teacher who I believe is almost a perfectionist, but has a true love of music that she teaches it incredibly well and promotes us to aim for beautiful music, not hard music (although playing the hard music beautifully comes in time).

There are dozens of teachers here in Perth who should not be teaching anything higher than the 3rd grades of Piano and yet they do, so they can take their money and let the student botch up their performances. They should have a *** licence to teach Piano because if they did it sure would improve the general love of music and standard, and above all - stop teaching kids to play music badly.

I only say this because I had 10 years of unqualified teachers who didn't correct my flat-hand technique, didn't teach me to read all the articulation on the page, and didn't teach me to listen to what I was playing intensely enough... and now I'm teaching students to break their bad habits passed onto them from their previous teachers.

Fredericfrancischopin:
Respect doesn't come from playing the monumental pieces like Fantasie Impromptu or even a chopin etude... It comes from playing a piece of music beautifully. If your teaching thinks your playing of these two pieces is good - you need to find a better teacher. Because even I wouldn't let a student perform those - not even for a YouTube video.

You will be able to play these pieces eventually, but you cannot play them now - not to a decent standard. If you're committed however to learning and bettering your playing, then one day you will actually look at these two pieces again and understand how to play them properly. I know this, because I used to play just like you.

Offline dumkagal

Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 06:46:02 AM
Important to note--this is NOT a piano, it is a computer program. Sounds crazy! ;D
At work on:
Schumann Kinderszenen
Chopin Etude in F Minor B130 #1
Bach Bach and more Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert