Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: reworked mozart sonata in A k.331 1st mvt  (Read 9572 times)

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
reworked mozart sonata in A k.331 1st mvt
on: August 31, 2009, 03:02:59 PM
here is the first mvt of the sonata. i have worked on it a bit more, is it better than before?
You either do or do not. There is no try- Yoda

Life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it

Offline aslanov

• PS Silver Member
Re: reworked mozart sonata in A k.331 1st mvt
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 06:21:37 AM
im not sure i dig the abrupt rests and sforzandi.
keep at it. listen to gould's recording, not listening for the tempo but for the music itself, the melody, the lines, etc. they are beautiful. and in the frist few variations because he plays it slower its easier to pick up on.

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:51:45 PM
I would listen to Rachmaninoff's on youtube. Then you'll know how it's done  ;)

One of my main issues are the random breaks you made during phrases. Also In general I thought it could be a bit more tender.

I hope I helped  :)
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 04:39:37 PM
thanks for your replies. just listened to the two recs suggested on youtube:
1. gould plays it just too slow, imho. i don't think many audiences will be able to put up with the repeats, etc. if you go at that pace. certainly not the audience i will be playing for, of that i'm sure. but yes, his alla turca was interesting, he brought out the turkish character very well.
2. rachmaninoff plays it in too romantic a manner, too many speed changes for my liking. its ok but its not the way i would interpret mozart at all. i wouldn't call that 1st variation andante grazioso. more like a presto, the way he does it.

i am trying to play more tenderly, that comment i got from someone else too, so will work on it. however, my edition does have a few sf markings, and most of the staccatos are the line staccatos (slight accent) rather than the dots. and the edition is an urtext, carisch edition. and that's the reason i've been playing that way. the rec. i have is a cd of jeno jando  (naxos) if you've heard it, that's closer to the way i've been playing.

btw did you listen to the third mvt as well? how did you feel that came out?
thanks a lot
jc
You either do or do not. There is no try- Yoda

Life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert