Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Faure's nocturne no. 4  (Read 4877 times)

Offline mlckitt

• PS Silver Member
Faure's nocturne no. 4
on: September 27, 2009, 02:25:33 PM
I'm working on the programme notes on Faure's Nocturne No. 4 Op. 36. It says 'To Madame la Comtesse de Mercy-Argenteau', is there anyone who knows something about this Madame?

I just couldn't anything about her in wikipedia!

thanks  :)

Offline aquilise

• PS Silver Member
Re: Faure's nocturne no. 4
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:06:26 PM

hey
i'm not altogether sur but i think she is Marie-Clotilde-Élisabeth Louise de Riquet ( look at that name on the internet), one of Lizt's lover. There is a book about her and her passion for the russian music ( even though Fauré was French!), but i don't know much about her.
Aquilise

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Re: Faure's nocturne no. 4
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:33:37 PM
hi :)
i found this on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie-Clotilde-Elisabeth_Louise_de_Riquet,_comtesse_de_Mercy-Argenteau
(i wasnt sure if that was the same person as "Madame la Comtesse de Mercy-Argenteau", but then i found something where it said that : "The Nocturne no.4 was dedicated to Madame la Comtesse de Mercy-Argenteau (1837- 1890). so the years are the same as for Marie-Clotilde-Elisabeth Louise de Riquet, and it says on wikipedia she married comte de Mercy-Argenteau, so i guess thats the same person.)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert