Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Scriabin Prelude in G# Minor, Op. 22, 1  (Read 5469 times)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Scriabin Prelude in G# Minor, Op. 22, 1
on: December 10, 2009, 08:43:34 AM
This prelude turned out to be more difficult than I thought when I first took it up.  It is full of crossovers and repeating notes throughout.  It's a turbulent, passionate, and reflective piece.  I hope you like my interpretation.  

Comments welcome.  Enjoy. :)

Yamaha M302 with the Edirol R-09 HR.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scriabin Prelude in G# Minor, Op. 22, 1
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 04:43:10 PM
ooooo, very cool prelude :).  I enjoy how you treat the piece, how it just keeps unfolding into something more 'raw' and then ... that's it !  That's how it ends !  Thanks for posting this and I will look forward to hearing more recordings from you when you can :).

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 01:50:46 AM
Hi goldentone,

I had never heard this particular Scriabin prelude before.  It has a wonderful dark beauty to it.  Of all the ones I've heard or played through, I believe this one of the best.  You play it with much expression.  I know that many like the mystical Scriabin, but to me, there's nothing quite like Scriabin's earlier works.  Well done!  Thanks for sharing it here.  :)
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 01:53:33 AM
yes it builds up...then suddenly ends....so UNQUENCHED ! ;)   N I C E   !!!!
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 06:54:58 AM
Very well played, and I love, love, love the piece. But don't end on a dominant...complete the set! :)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:17:33 AM
ooooo, very cool prelude :).  I enjoy how you treat the piece, how it just keeps unfolding into something more 'raw' and then ... that's it !  That's how it ends !  Thanks for posting this and I will look forward to hearing more recordings from you when you can :).

Hi Karli,

I'm so glad you liked it. :)  I'm in the process of polishing my next piece right now.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 07:31:28 AM
Hi Rachfan,

Thanks so much for your comments and praise. :)  I'm glad I was able to introduce this "dark beauty" to you.  Last night I was looking through the Scriabin scores on the IMSLP, and, man, he wrote so many preludes!  The piece I'm working on now isn't a Scriabin, but I'm sure I'll come back to him.  

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 07:34:54 AM
yes it builds up...then suddenly ends....so UNQUENCHED ! ;)   N I C E   !!!!

Thanks, Emill! :)

Very well played, and I love, love, love the piece.

Thank you, Furtwaengler. :)  That means a lot to me, coming from your caliber of pianist.

But don't end on a dominant...complete the set! :)

Ha Ha!  I'll have to take a look and see what else is in Opus 22.  Now I feel the pressure Rachfan has warned me about! ;D

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 09:44:57 PM
Hi goldentone,

Ah yes, the benefits and bane of complete sets!  Well, of course, the obvious downer is having to play pieces that you would not normally choose for one reason or another.  Perhaps some pieces within a set simply don't appeal as much, or have some daunting technical issue(s).  On the other hand, there comes a certain discipline with learning complete sets: It forces one out of their comfort zone, builds technique in different ways, affords the pianist broader and deeper understanding of the composer, and many people love to hear complete sets.  But yes... there is definitely some pressure felt from those who urge one to do them, and also from the compositions themselves during practicing.  Overall, I think it's worth it, or at least making the attempt. ;)  I fended it off for quite a while, but finally caved in. ;D
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert