Piano Forum

A Sudden Chat with Paul Lewis about Beethoven & Schubert
Substituting for the suddenly indisposed Janine Jensen, pianist Paul Lewis shares his ideas on his global Schubert project, classical repertoire focus and views on titans Beethoven vs. Schubert. Read more >>

Topic: question on chopin op27 no.2  (Read 2654 times)

Offline sirpazhan

• PS Silver Member
question on chopin op27 no.2
on: January 07, 2010, 11:11:19 AM
hello, Ive just picked up this piece,, top of the 2nd page,, what does the red bracket mean, reason I ask is because I feel like it doesn't sound right when I play,,, not too familiar with the notation... am i missing something? thanks,,,

\\\\\\\"I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven\\\\\\\"

Offline iroveashe

• PS Silver Member
Re: question on chopin op27 no.2
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:09:34 PM
I always thought it meant the notes are to be played together, assuming that since there are two voices and both notes have accidentals they end up too separated, so the bracket is used to show they're played at the same time; but my teacher insisted Chopin wouldn't use a disonance like that (even though there are minor seconds in other of his works) and told me to play one note after the other.
"By concentrating on precision, one arrives at technique, but by concentrating on technique one does not arrive at precision."
Bruno Walter

Offline learntopianoonline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 04:15:00 PM
I always thought it meant the notes are to be played together, assuming that since there are two voices and both notes have accidentals they end up too separated, so the bracket is used to show they're played at the same time; but my teacher insisted Chopin wouldn't use a disonance like that (even though there are minor seconds in other of his works) and told me to play one note after the other.
I also thought it meant the notes are to be played together, why your teacher think Chopin wouldn't use a disonance like that?

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:47:48 PM
but my teacher insisted Chopin wouldn't use a disonance like that (even though there are minor seconds in other of his works) and told me to play one note after the other.

Wait, let me cry. They ARE played at the same time. Change teacher, now. This is imperative.

Offline iroveashe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:54:33 PM
Wait, let me cry. They ARE played at the same time. Change teacher, now. This is imperative.
I knew I was right, I listened to like 18 different recordings of the piece but she was stubborn. I've stopped going months ago anyway.
"By concentrating on precision, one arrives at technique, but by concentrating on technique one does not arrive at precision."
Bruno Walter

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 07:49:16 PM
Of course they need to be played together. Chopin often uses this, for instance in the first Ballade.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:52:46 PM
Yes, they are played together.  See Paderewski edition, they attempt to clarify the notation a bit. 

As Wolfi notes, this is not a one time occurrence in Chopin. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert