Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Teachers!! How do you store your books/scores in your studio?  (Read 18225 times)

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
I'm looking for a way to store my method books and musical scores in my piano studio.  My students always need books and I have to look things up for them.  Bookshelves are too chaotic.  I've seen things like this https://www.amazon.com/Walnut-Satin-Sheet-Music-Cabinet/dp/B0019CVR1O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1266122936&sr=8-3

But I don't know if they work well.  I've also heard regular file cabinets work.  Any advice?

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Re: Teachers!! How do you store your books/scores in your studio?
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:53:22 AM
I do the old fashioned way, I use my bookshelves, one for the books my students are in and the other for my own use and pieces I'm working on. 
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 10:04:22 PM
I actually have little space in the piano room for books.  So they are spread in various places throughout the house.  In the piano room there is a pile of currently used music (stuff I'm working on).  I use bookshelves for most other things. 

Books are sorted by Subject > Alphanumerical > Subtopic order. 

Eg: Classical keyboard music on one shelf Alphabetical by composer with editions grouped together. 

Anthologies grouped by instrumentation and genre. Method/grade books grouped by publisher, edition and grade.

Loose sheet music - still working on it. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline jenny62

• PS Silver Member
I have literally thousands of music books from various method series and all their companion books to huge selection of books in my lending library, personal library, etc.  I use 4-drawer file cabinets, and use hanging file folders (expandable 1" or 2", not the standard ones) to help sort the books.  For instance, one whole drawer may be Faber's Piano Adventures Series, another of all duet music, another of Athologies, etc.  HOWEVER... the new ones are not wide enough to accommodate most music in print.  I had to search for used file cabints from sources like businesses relocating, garage sales, office furniture sales, etc.  I found mine (4) from a business that was moving and did not want to take their old equipment with them.  Yes, they might be old and dinged up, but my music fits!

Offline sgearry

• PS Silver Member
I never knew this was such a widespread problem! The perfect solution for me are 'cardboard magazine files', such as the ones here: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50022354

These can then be categorised, labelled and shelved without chaos, and books can be accessed and stored efficiently.

Hope this helps!

Stephen Gearry
Dedicated teacher, composer, and author of Piano Skills (Zebraline Publishing)

Offline lilla

• PS Silver Member
This topic is a little dated - but after many different tries, I have a perfect filing system in my studio.  I just thought I'd share.  It actually works in three different ways.  I have a standard set of wooden "mail slots" purchased from any office supply store.  There are about 24 slots set up in four columns going across, with six slots going down.  I have two units stacked on top of each other.  This is where I keep my current method material that I hand out regularly.  This is also my current inventory - the music lays flat and is sorted by level.  It is easy to see if inventory is running low.  I have a column for each of four different methods I use - plus some areas reserved for the current Festival selections, or holiday selections if it's that time.

Secondly, I have a tall standard bookcase that is loaded with magazine files.  This is where I keep my studio copies and they are sorted alphabetically either by composer name or topic, or method name - however I usually refer to the music.  I can quickly find anything that comes to mind.

Thirdly, I have several tall stacks of plastic storage bins  the drawer type, clear plastic.  This is where everything else goes.  So, books I don't use often - or odd collections of material.  One drawer is full of various Theory books, another Technique books - the ones that aren't part of my regularly used method material.  There is a lot of old music stored here - a hodge podge of sheet music.  Even drawers full of prizes, markers, stickers, etc.

I also have another bookcase that holds all other odds and ends in various baskets, files, or loaded on the shelves.  New assignment books, folders, certificates - magazines, reference books.

With all of this in place, I am organized and can quickly find what I need.  But I made many attempts to get to this point.  Hope this helps anyone out there trying to make sense of all their stuff.

Offline bluepianist

• PS Silver Member
I too store my music in different ways.  Student books are stored in file cabinets.  I store student sheet music in paper dividers that are labeled.  Reference books are on bookshelves in chronological order.  Hope that helps.

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Thanks everyone!  Lilla, I have the magazine files already, but I just LOVE your idea about the inventory of method books you hand out regularly.  I'm going to get one of those.

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 02:59:40 AM
Why don't you just store it in a book shelf? I think most teachers do that.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline pianomcl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 09:46:26 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions lilla! I have to admit, my studio is often a bit of a mess, scores all over the place. I try to organize them but over time entropy takes its course :-P
Piano - Composition - Theory<br />https://www.pianoblog.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert