Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Recording equipments  (Read 1280 times)

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Recording equipments
on: January 27, 2011, 08:44:59 PM
Hi.

Can anyone recommend any good recording equipments? I have an Edirol R-09HR, but it doesn't get the dynamics, and it just sounds bad.

Not too expensive so not more than 100$.

Thx a lot!

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Re: Recording equipments
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:53:17 PM
The Edirol R-09HR is about as good as it gets for under $500, really. Are you sure you've got it set correctly? It won't get dynamics if the limiter is on and/or the recording level set too high. For recording piano, you want the following settings:

Limiter/AGC - Off
Plug-in power - doesn't matter unless you've got an external microphone
Low cut - Off (it's there to reduce handling noise, wind noise, and breath blast when recording speech at very close range)
Mic gain - H
Record level - about 30

If you're recording very close to a piano or other powerful instrument, you will need Mic gain set to L and recording level set to between 50 and 60. Any recording level setting below 28 with Mic gain H may result in distortion even though the 'Peak' indicator doesn't light.

If the R-09HR doesn't satisfy you, you will need very good quality external microphones - think several hundred $ each, and probably a decent external microphone amplifier too.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:06:33 PM
Ok, thx.. i've probably got the wrong settings

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:14 AM
I agree with Richard, you aren't going to get anything better for less than $100.  Along with playing with the settings, also experiment in mic placement.  Where you setup your recorder can drastically affect the sound. 

You may want to venture into some affordable condenser mics, a bit more than $100 but will give you more flexibility. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 02:01:14 PM
Oh, yes, VERY important point quantum makes about placement. Putting the recorder on a tripod is a big improvement. My one real dislike about the R-09HR is that the tripod mounting adaptor is a ridiculously expensive after-market thing - I made my own from a piece of wood and a couple of rubber bands. Looks a bit crap, but works. Anyway, getting the device a few feet from the floor and other large surfaces is a very good thing to do. A cheap camera tripod or microphone stand will set you back about the price of a volume of Beethoven sonatas.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert