Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Prelude op.28-15 (raindrop)  (Read 7120 times)

Offline japie

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Prelude op.28-15 (raindrop)
on: March 07, 2011, 09:23:31 PM
Hello everyone!

I have a short question about de playing of this piece. (or accually about the playing of chopins music at all)
Can the Sostenuto pedal be of good use in certain passages of chopin?

This question came to me when I suddenly just did it when playing the Sotto Voce part of this prelude and I never really thought of it.. (im using it on the left hand) I know chopin himself never heard of the Sostenuto Pedal but on the other hand the sound of piano's itself chanced aswell.

I would very much like to hear some opinions!

Jacob

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Prelude op.28-15 (raindrop)
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:31:10 PM
when playing this piece I usually press the sostenuto during the first part and when the double thirds come in I limit the use of it to a minimum. The rest of the time I just control the tone of the voice very, very carefully so that it is not messy.
hope this helps.
hh
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Pictures at an Exhibition
Beethoven Pathetique sonata
Schumann Papilions

Offline japie

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Prelude op.28-15 (raindrop)
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:57:35 PM
Thank you for your reply!

maybe my subject is a bit missleading but the question was accually about chopin pieces in general becouse i accually never have used the sostenuto pedal in any of his pieces. How about f.e. in the 1st ballade are there any passages when u use it? If so wich ones? Maybe the part before the sempre pio mosso part? Im just wondering how you all use it becouse i very rarely use this pedal and i dont have a teacher to give me an answer:)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert