Piano Forum

On Being a Pianist in Kenya - Against All Odds
It is hard enough to train as a classical pianist, even in a Western country with good access to instruments, sheet music and advanced tuition. If you happen to live in Kenya, where nothing of the above is easily available, the many obstacles make it almost impossible. Yet, there are people with an absolute determination to learn. Piano Street has talked to pianist Cordelia Williams, whose new documentary film depicts a new generation on track to break the "glass ceiling" of classical music in Kenya. Read more >>

Topic: Goldberg variations  (Read 6543 times)

Offline sxsx

• PS Silver Member
Goldberg variations
on: May 21, 2011, 09:40:22 PM
I recently started trying to play Bachs goldberg variations, and I am mostly interested in variations 1 and 3, but it is insanely hard for me.
I have just a little more than 1 year of piano lessons, and I am not having lessons right now.
Should I just continue trying or this is omsething only for more experienced players ?

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Re: Goldberg variations
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:37:13 PM
It's good that you have something advanced that you want to work toward, I wouldn't work on these without some easier Bach counterpoint studied. Like the Inventions and Sinfonias. And good attention to playing multiple voices in each hand.

Having a piano teacher help you through issues live and in person on a weekly basis really is best, though. Unless your goal is to be a Youtuber.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert