Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Medical Care for Pianist (and other musicians)  (Read 1530 times)

Offline ionian_tinnear

• PS Silver Member
Medical Care for Pianist (and other musicians)
on: July 01, 2011, 04:29:13 PM
For many years now, I've struggled with my arm muscles, especially the left side.  In younger years, I worked as a carpenter, worked on a farms, dug holes, anything to make ends meet.  Now my left arm hurts a bit all the time, varying from an ache to sharp twinging pain.

Worse, the left hand responds slower than my right.  This means that when playing something that has the two hands playing in parallel, like scales or arpeggios, the hands don't stay together, the left finishes the run late.

Doctors I've seen have tested and tested, yet say that my responses are 'low but within the averages', so they don't seem to be very concerned.  I get the 'go do something else instead' line, a lot.  We spend years working our reflexes and responses to get them to a higher than average level, 'low but within the averages' feels rather crippling to me.

Enough of the sad story.  I won't go into the other ways I damaged my instrument (dirt bike racing for instance) in the folly of my youth.

My question for this forum is:  Are there doctors, or other medical providers, that take musician and other artists more seriously?

I'm only 50+, and nothing short of amputation will ever stop me from playing piano, but it would be nice to get some relief from the constant pain.
Albeniz: Suite Española #1, Op 47,
Bach: French Suite #5 in G,
Chopin: Andante Spianato,
Chopin: Nocturne F#m, Op 15 #2
Chopin: Ballade #1 Gm & #3 Aflat Mj

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Medical Care for Pianist (and other musicians)
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 04:52:35 PM
I have taught students who suffer all sorts of physical problems that limit their playing ability. These type of students need to have a refined technique more so than those with full physical ability. You cannot afford to play sloppy because your body cannot deal with it, so through proper technical training you may be able to deal with your issue somewhat. Never play when you are feeling pain even the smallest amount, you are usually always doing more damage than good. It is ok to feel the lactic acid burn in your arm but sharp nerve pains or other muscle strain should not be put up with.

Instead of spending thousands on treatment I maintain my own bodies health (although I do not need it I like to maintain myself to prevent it ever happening because being able to play the piano is important to me). My mother was an aromatherapist/naturopath for over 40 years (was referred many patients from doctors who could not help skin disorders) and taught me a lot of natural solutions.
I massage my own arm occasionally and especially after I have overexerted myself from a practice session. If I have muscle/nerve problems I will use Sweet almond oil (5ml) mixed with German Blue Chamomile(2drops) and  Helichrysum Italicum (1drop) (if I have more pain than usual) (one or two drops of the mixture is enough to cover my arm it really goes a long way). These essential oils are expensive, Lavender which can be bought quite easily is a cheaper option which works very well. If you cannot find Sweet Almond oil use 100% pure high quality Virgin Olive Oil, it will absorb into your skin and not leave it oily, but almond oil had much better absorption and properties.

I cannot stress how beneficial massage is, you do not have to know what you are doing but it can prevent against pain if applied before practice and after. You should also stretch your body before you start to play the piano, some people need this more so than others. I have a bad habit of simply starting on the piano straight away, but one should take care to warm themselves up before touching the piano even just as you would if you where playing sport.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Re: Medical Care for Pianist (and other musicians)
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 06:09:17 PM
I agree with above, massages and warming are effective. 

However, one hasn't to overprotect his or her hands and arms as if they were fragile glass, accidents can happen whenever and wherever.  One needs to go on with his life without prohibiting oneself from the good things of life.

Please don't misunderstand me, I don't mean to go and risk yourself in extreme sports or playing with dangerous machines if you don't want or if you know it is dangerous, it's only that there is people who exaggerate with taking care of their hands due to being pianists that they don't allow themselves to enjoy their live to maximun, and in one moment accidents happen, even during the practice or a rehearsal ironically.

Of course, taking care is also part of one's self-steem and improving both as person and pianist.

What I have learnt from warming up is that Hanon and scales are useless unless you really enjoy them and you don't see them as a burden.  Warming up can also consist on playing short and easy pieces like Chopin's Prelude op 28 no 7 or Burgmuller's Arabesque op 100 no 2. 

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert