Piano Forum

Topic: Haggling for a Piano  (Read 2082 times)

Offline cysoto

• PS Silver Member
Haggling for a Piano
on: August 31, 2004, 07:55:53 PM
I was reading through some threads here that talk about prices on a new PETROF piano in Miami, Florida.  The poster (Fingerz_Xtrodinair) says that he found a new PETROF III on sale for $15,000US.  I have been recently debating wether the get a new PETROF or an ESTONIA.  I was able to find a PETROF dealer in Denver, Colorado who is dropping the line in favor of ESTONIA.  He still has two PETROF's III that he is willing to let go "cheap".  I was told by one of the salespeople that the cheapest that they will let go these is for $19,000US (+ tax & delivery).  

Is there really such a significant difference in the price of a new piano depending on its location or, is it that I don't know how to find a good bargain?  The truth is that I hate haggling but, it would be really nice if I could get a piano for a couple of thousand dollars less.  

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haggling for a Piano
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 08:06:33 PM
Is there really such a significant difference in the price of a new piano depending on its location or, is it that I don't know how to find a good bargain?
There can be such a significant difference in price of a new piano even in the same location on the same day! Piano pricing is mystery to most of us.

The only "no-haggling piano store" I know of went out of business late last year.

Sorry to give you the bad news -- you will very likely have to haggle, perhaps even aggressively, to get a bargain.

Good luck!

Offline Saturn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 01:07:00 PM
I was reading through some threads here that talk about prices on a new PETROF piano in Miami, Florida.  The poster (Fingerz_Xtrodinair) says that he found a new PETROF III on sale for $15,000US.  I have been recently debating wether the get a new PETROF or an ESTONIA.  I was able to find a PETROF dealer in Denver, Colorado who is dropping the line in favor of ESTONIA.  He still has two PETROF's III that he is willing to let go "cheap".  I was told by one of the salespeople that the cheapest that they will let go these is for $19,000US (+ tax & delivery).  

Is there really such a significant difference in the price of a new piano depending on its location or, is it that I don't know how to find a good bargain?  The truth is that I hate haggling but, it would be really nice if I could get a piano for a couple of thousand dollars less.  

I may be wrong about this, but I think $19,000 is a decent price for a Petrof III.

Offline cysoto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 05:00:11 PM
I may be wrong about this, but I think $19,000 is a decent price for a Petrof III.

Oh no...  Don't get me wrong...  I too think that this is a good price.  I was just wondering if it's really possible for somebody to pay $4,000US less for the same piano just because they are located on the East Coast.  Or if maybe, this persons is barganing so efficently that he can manage to get such an outstanding price for the same unit.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert